Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has there been any WR screens run?

21MadFan

The last 5 years I feel like we have run more WR screens then any other team. Gibbs and Zorn seemed to love to run that play. Has anyone else noticed that the WR screen has pretty much been scratched from the playbook? Do you guys think a reason is because McNabb is not comfortable making that throw?

I actually feel the opposite. The Skins don't run the WR screen enough. Especially compared to teams around the league. Hopefully we'll get to see Banks and Moss get a couple more shots at it though.

i think he was referring to pre-shanahan, which since the 05 season, i can remember a lot of screens run

They use to run a ton of WR screens under Spurrier and Gibbs. Can't remember much from the Zorn years, but that is on purpose! I've seen them run a couple to Santana Moss this year that didn't get much. Bad blocking or calling the play against the wrong defense is the problem there. I'd love to see a screen to Banks sometime, but the blocking still needs to be there.

I told a buddy who didn't get a chance to watch the Redskins-Lion game that I couldn't believe we weren't running more wide receiver screens, especially with the blitzes we were facing. The defensive linemen were constantly blitzing and stunting on a regular basis. I would think that calling screens would neutralize or even exploit a lot of those blitzes and stunts. I would also think that quick, ZBS linemen would be particularly effective at running screens.

However, for some ***** reason that escapes me, I don't think Shanny called a single WR screen during the Lions game. In fact, the only screen play I remember Shanny calling this season was the one in which Trent Williams got in front of Cooley and made an awesome block.

We've gone from running WR screens 30% of the time passing plays were called under Gibbs II, to running them maybe 5% of the time (at most) passing plays are called under Shanny. I'd like a little balance please.

I think we've done one or two this year. The last few years we haven't gotten **** out of WR screens, however, with Banks we should definitely get him involved in the offense with WR screens, reverses, etc. Thing is, they can't put him in on offense just to do those plays or the D will be all over it everytime, so he just needs to start getting reps on O period.

The last 5 years I feel like we have run more WR screens then any other team. Gibbs and Zorn seemed to love to run that play. Has anyone else noticed that the WR screen has pretty much been scratched from the playbook? Do you guys think a reason is because McNabb is not comfortable making that throw?

No it is more because you need better blocking and fast HB's. Here is how it should work. Get McNabb to call a designed audbible. He lines up in standard I-formation with Clinton Portis right behind him. He then audibles out into shotgun formation. Clinton this stands to the left side of McNabb and Cooley and Mike Sellers line up on the left side. Once he calls hike, Clinton and pitched the ball, while Cooley and Sellers play as blockers. If the blocking is good, Portis would pick up positive yards. My key is to run it as an aubile. You don't want to make that type of situation obvious to the defense. You want to use it as a second option, incase the defense is looking sketchy.

As for the old fashion screen pass, HB's and WR's may feel that McNabb's throw is too powerful for them to work with on the screen pass. Some QB's throw a small floater over to the HB's, but the problem is you risk a pick 6 from the CB. So it works as an advantage when the HB or WR can handle a speedy pass, and to conserve small seconds.

Archived