Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Albert Haynesworth: I can be greatest

MWLthe1st

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5737360

Albert Haynesworth: I can be greatest

ASHBURN, Va. -- Albert Haynesworth still thinks he can become the greatest lineman to play the game as long as he's not playing nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.

The Washington Redskins defensive lineman made a rare midweek appearance before reporters Thursday. He's coming off his best game of the season, when he had his first sack and made a big goal-line stop in a victory over the Chicago Bears.

Haynesworth spoke of the compromise he's reached with coaches to play mostly in nickel situations, adding: "I'm not good enough to play the 3-4." Haynesworth said he has "no clue" whether he'll be with the Redskins next season. He says if he keeps playing, he's "going to be somewhere."

Haynesworth signed a seven-year, $100 million contract in 2009 as a free agent.

***As mentioned by BigHuv 21, this article is (very poorly) based on the following from the Washington Post http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/albert-haynesworth-is-happy-wi.html***

Eh, whatever...If he continues to play like he did this past week then that's fine. He's never going to be a really positive upbeat rah-rah team guy, and at this point everyone on the team knows his deal and his personality and people don't get bent out of shape over these kind of comments.

The way people react when Clinton Portis says something that ruffles a few feathers they say "That's just Clinton being Clinton...". Well at this point this is Albert being Albert, as long as he continues to play well, these little comments aren't anything to worry over. I'm not saying everyone has to be happy with it, but you need to get used to it while he's here, because there is no chance he changes.

Edit: After reading the original piece, they sure did twist what he said and take it a bit out of context, but I still think my above comments were valid on him. He seems to be pretty accepting of his role, so good for him.

they definitely did, but still "im not good enough" is a lame thing for him to say. a guy making 100 mil should be taking every challenge head on, not sulking and saying "the guy in front of me is better".

haynesworth could be a sick NT if he wasnt such a diva.

Albert is flat wrong. He doesn't have the motivation or the work ethic to be the greatest ever. He's demonstrated that again and again. It's a shame, because if he had the desire, motivation, and work ethic, combined with his pure physical talents, he would have a shot at greatest ever.

As it is, we get a very good lineman on those days and on those plays when he is motivated to play.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Other than the ESPN headline, I have NOT seen any quote like that from Haynesworth. What did he say, and can someone post the quote.

So I can be the greatest lineman ever, just don't play me in the 3-4??? i thought there were linemen in the 3-4. basically this little ***** is taking his one good game all year and trying to turn the defense into a 4-3. STFU and play

Read the Post article that BigHuv21 posted.

The ESPN one is complete bull****. They've taken AH completely out of context. I have to say, I was ready to give up on Big Al at the beginning of TC, but now, and even more so after reading the original article, I'm pretty excited. I think he's making positive strides with his attitude.

Here's Reid's article. It shows Albert Haynesworth in a completely different light:

Albert Haynesworth is happy with his role

Coming off his biggest game of the season, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth said he's happy with his new role in the defense and doesn't mind coming off the bench to contribute.

Though Haynesworth is still taking practice reps as a nose tackle in the 3-4 defense -- also called the "Okie" -- the Redskins have decided to use him primarily as a pass rusher, playing mostly a three-technique tackle in the nickel packages.

"We just kept working at the Okie, and I wasn't coming along to be able to be the starter and some of that stuff," Haynesworth said in a rare meeting with reporters Thursday. "I was like, hey, let me just focus on the stuff that I know, and then you'll see a lot more production out of me."

Haynesworth said he and coaches began to discuss changing his role just a couple of weeks into the regular season. Both sides seemed to agree that Haynesworth wasn't contributing as much as anyone would like in the 3-4 base. Asked whether he minds that seven weeks into the season, he's still not starting, Haynesworth said: "I'm not good enough to play the 3-4. We got a guy in front of me who could play the 3-4 better than I can. So whatever helps the team."

In the 3-4, Haynesworth had gap responsibilities in the run game and was required to move laterally a lot. But he's played his entire career as a 4-3 tackle and prefers to move straight ahead. He said the change to a 3-4 never felt natural to him.

"It's just your reaction is a whole lot slower," he said. "You want to attack, and if you try to attack in this defense and you running the Okie, you're going to look real bad and you're going to get gashed."

The Redskins switched to the 3-4 defense in the offseason. Haynesworth never liked the change and butted heads with management over his role. Even though he'll likely appear in nickel packages, Haynesworth showed last week at Chicago that he can still have a big impact.

"The whole goal was to win games, to put the best people on the field. At the Okie, I don't think I'm one of the best players at that. In the nickel, I think I am," Haynesworth said. "That's what we came to because we all want to win games. We want to go far into the season - hopefully to the Super Bowl."

By Rick Maese | October 28, 2010; 11:48 AM ET

Wow! Night and day difference in tone and implied intent between the two articles.

Reading ESPNs take I thought Haynesworth's "I'm not good enough for the 3-4" comment was a passive aggresive complaint. But reading it in context in the Reid article it's clear that he has completely bought in to what the teams doing and he's being honest about his own shortcomings.

ESPN should be ashamed.

Will the OP PLEASE link to Reid's Redskins Insider article, rather than this piece of **** ESPN article?

The reactions from people who don't read the original interview are way off, and so is ESPN.

What horrible, embarrassing "reporting".

And wtf, he never even came close to saying he can be the greatest.

He said he doesn't think he's the best on the team at NT, but he does think he's the best on the team at other positions on the line, so he's doing what's best for the team.

Archived