Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore DMA: No OTA Coverage of Redskins-Bears Game (Week 7, 2010 Season)

HouseBowlrz

Greetings, All ... the lack of enforcement of secondary market broadcast rules will be on display this week as WBFF in Baltimore will NOT be airing our ROAD game in Chicago this weekend despite the Ratbirds being at home on a three-game weekend.

Recall that when this same scenario presents itself here in Washington - Redskins at home to NFC team on Fox doubleheader day and Ravens on the road at the same time as us - secondary broadcast rules forces WUSA to air the Ravens road game despite PRIMARY broadcast rules stipulating that no game is to air against the sold out home game.

That said, logic would dictate that WBFF in Baltimore be forced to air our road game when the Ratbirds play at home to an AFC team on a CBS doubleheader week which is the case on Sunday. However, WBFF is somehow able to circumvent these secondary broadcast rules, airing an NFC West snoozefest at 1605 instead.

Having seen another thread where someone from the Redskins actually answered, I am hoping someone can shed some light on all this for the fan base in the Baltimore DMA.

The most plausible I have seen is that, once Biscotti purchased the team up there, wanted enforcement of the secondary market rule here in Washington because the Redskins would not agree to having our teams treated as a single market for the purpose of scheduling (a la New York and San Francisco/Oakland).

Is there a reason that WBFF is able to circumvent the secondary market broadcast rule for which WUSA is being held to the fire? If the Redskins are choosing not to enforce the secondary market rule up there, why? I know a number of season ticket holders in the Baltimore DMA who are not able to get DC stations based on where they live up there.

Again, if someone from the Redskins organization can answer these questions, that would be great.

thanks !! :point2sky

Hey Man try to see if you can catch it with an HDTV antenna, I live in TYsons Corner, VA and get all the baltimore channels with mine.

I'm not worried about missing the game but I know people with whom I tailgate that live in the Baltimore DMA that can't pick up DC stations who will miss the game because of these unevenly enforced secondary market broadcast rules between the two cities.

Nonetheless, good information for those who live in that area for picking up extra games outside of DC.

cheers

It's also blacked out in the Baltimore DMA on Sunday Ticket. That really sucks for some of my friends. The Ticket follows the NFL rules and blacks it out because WBFF should be broadcasting it. So the net result. Not available at all unless you can pull in some DC stations.

It's also blacked out in the Baltimore DMA on Sunday Ticket. That really sucks for some of my friends. The Ticket follows the NFL rules and blacks it out because WBFF should be broadcasting it. So the net result. Not available at all unless you can pull in some DC stations.

Why is WBFF not broadcasting it????...I can remember in the past when they showed just about every Redskins game...last couple of years they haven't....I moved up to Cecil County and do not have WTTG 5 DC anymore....it sucks because I can't get the Redskins games like I used to.....Have to endure the crappy Eagles games....aarrrgggg!!!! Wish they would just do pay per view on a game by game basis....they sure could make a lot of money...I would get the NFL ticket on satellite but its not worth it to me....I would do PPV on the internet to watch if I couldn't see it on TV....Sometimes they limit themselves....NFL likes to make money...they sure could open up a whole new segment if it went PPV in markets where the game is not being shown locally....hmmmmm

Why is WBFF not broadcasting it????

As near as I can figure they are just ignoring the secondary market rules in regards to Washington. I haven't heard a valid reason why they are not broadcasting the game. It's not the first time they have done this either.

I think you're wrong on this one. Fox 45 won't be showing any 1pm games this Sunday, only Seattle vs. Arizona @ 4pm. Therefore, it should still be on the ticket.

I think you're wrong on this one. Fox 45 won't be showing any 1pm games this Sunday, only Seattle vs. Arizona @ 4pm. Therefore, it should still be on the ticket.

Here is the link to the Ticket. Link

Just type in any Baltimore area Zip. Here's one, 21201

Ok got ya'...I just moved out of the Baltimore area (to Harford County), and assumed that we were under the same DTV market. I guess not. When i typed in my current zipcode, the Skins game is available on the ticket.

I live in Northern Baltimore County. I generally look for a feed on the web or at least watch the red zone channel. Anybody hav eany experience with watching on NFL Mobile on verizon? I have a blackberry and wondered if that might be an optoon. I have the NFL Mobile app.

As near as I can figure they are just ignoring the secondary market rules in regards to Washington. I haven't heard a valid reason why they are not broadcasting the game. It's not the first time they have done this either.

You're right, it is a constant problem. When it happened two years ago for our game in Philadelphia, a lot of people complaining in the Baltimore DMA were complaining ...

Wow ... so even the bars are going to be in trouble since the only source for out of market games is (I believe) The Ticket. Major ooooooooof ...

this is a good thread. It would be nice if this issue where to be addressed.

Someone from the Redskins organization was quick to respond about an issue with FedEx Field so they are watching the board. I'm just hoping for someone to at least acknowledge that they have read this thread and are investigating.

thanks

This really makes no sense either--if you live in places like Edgewood or Westminster you can get the Redskin game on Sunday Ticket and also in Baltimore County but apparently not if you live in Baltimore City--go figure.

This really makes no sense either--if you live in places like Edgewood or Westminster you can get the Redskin game on Sunday Ticket and also in Baltimore County but apparently not if you live in Baltimore City--go figure.

It's also blacked out on the ticket in the Annapolis/Davidsonville area. That's where my friends live. Sucks.

This is a very important thread. Thanks very much to the OP. PLEASE someone from the Redskins address this issue, assuming the facts are correct, which I believe they are.

My wife, kids and I are lifelong Skins season ticket holders who moved Northeast of Baltimore nearly twenty years ago. Obviously when you re-locate you give up the opportunity to watch some Skins games on traditional network broadcasts. However, it does seem that there is more than just anectdotal evidence that network affiliates do not apply the same rules for the Ravens and Redskins with respect to local broadcasting. Of course my family and will find a means of watching the game but it would be nice to be able to watch it from home (as Ravens fans in the DC market seemingly are allowed under similarcircumstances) without paying a premium.

By the way, it would be nice if the Redskins would offer bus service for a fee to Fed Ex Field from areas like Baltimore, White Marsh and Bel Air. Having the opportunity to go the game by bus with other fans would good for Skins fans in the Baltimore area.

I live in Harford County and for years I have had Comcast and they carry Fox 5 WTTG. I switched to DirecTV this weekend and found out that they do not carry Fox 5. So I can't cancel the basic nub cable package yet until the season is over since I'm still using Comcast internet.

Time for a HD antenna.

Looks like northern Baltimore County (Owings Mills area) gets the game on the ticket. Southern Balto Co like Catonsville may not according to the link HOF44 posted.

There's a Greene Turtle in Owings Mills, for what it's worth.

So are bars subject to the same blackouts as standard home subscribers?

This is a very important thread. Thanks very much to the OP. PLEASE someone from the Redskins address this issue, assuming the facts are correct, which I believe they are.

My wife, kids and I are lifelong Skins season ticket holders who moved Northeast of Baltimore nearly twenty years ago. Obviously when you re-locate you give up the opportunity to watch some Skins games on traditional network broadcasts. However, it does seem that there is more than just anectdotal evidence that network affiliates do not apply the same rules for the Ravens and Redskins with respect to local broadcasting. Of course my family and will find a means of watching the game but it would be nice to be able to watch it from home (as Ravens fans in the DC market seemingly are allowed under similarcircumstances) without paying a premium.

By the way, it would be nice if the Redskins would offer bus service for a fee to Fed Ex Field from areas like Baltimore, White Marsh and Bel Air. Having the opportunity to go the game by bus with other fans would good for Skins fans in the Baltimore area.

it sucks because i had to purchase the ticket due to this nonsense. A few years ago it wasn't so bad. But it seems it just gets worse by the year.

they may do it if they are aware that they have a huge fanbase in our area. When hearing people talk (from the DC area), i get the impression that they believe the Bmore area don't have many Skins fans at all. This couldn't be any further from the truth.

Ok got ya'...I just moved out of the Baltimore area (to Harford County), and assumed that we were under the same DTV market. I guess not. When i typed in my current zipcode, the Skins game is available on the ticket.

So it says 'subject to blackout'. How are we sure it is blackedout? I tried my zip (21229) and HOF44's - both say the same thing. Only thing is - EVERY game says the same exact thing.

Archived