Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: Fred Davis is not producing as much as expected

Oldskool

:ols: :ols:...it amazes me how people will look at another tight end and say they are just as good. That's like saying Armstrong is just as good as Santana Moss. He may get there someday...but he's not there yet

I mean really...do some of you understand that making catches isn't just about having the ball placed in your hands and running? Cooley makes plays...Santana Moss makes plays. It's why McNabb has a higher completion rate to them and it's why they're our only weapons on offense. Take out Cooley alone and our offense is a laughable joke. What would happen is McNabb would have a whole bunch of incomplete passes to Davis and people would wonder what's wrong....not understanding that Cooley would make those catches because he's better overall where receiving is concerned

:ols: :ols:...it amazes me how people will look at another tight end and say they are just as good. That's like saying Armstrong is just as good as Santana Moss. He may get there someday...but he's not there yet

I mean really...do some of you understand that making catches isn't just about having the ball placed in your hands and running? Cooley makes plays...Santana Moss makes plays. It's why McNabb has a higher completion rate to them and it's why they're our only weapons on offense. Take out Cooley alone and our offense is a laughable joke. What would happen is McNabb would have a whole bunch of incomplete passes to Davis and people would wonder what's wrong....not understanding that Cooley would make those catches because he's better overall where receiving is concerned

I think that Cooley's more experienced than Davis (obviously) but not necessarily the better player...in the long run.

Regardless, It really doesn't matter. I don't believe Davis will be here after this season anyway.

Davis is doing a great job and Davis knows his role on the team.

This is another weak effort from the Washingtonpost.

EXACTLY!! This is just another stir the pot, trouble-making article from some reporter with nothing truly newsworthy to write about.

Davis was open for a long gainer in Philly on the sideline, about 25-30 yards down field and McNabb over threw the pass. That's the last time I remember seeing Davis as a target. Maybe we'll see more of him this week? Remember, the Colts are very banged up at safety and the TE's can exploit that.

A stupid article title since he is not in charge of how often he plays and how many times they target him. Davis is not used as much as expected might be more appropriate.

As well as Cooley is playing, I think Davis would do as well if starting. To me he is one of the best receiving threats we have, right there with Moss and Cooley. So the skins have two options; either get Davis involved somehow, even as a wide out, or trade one of the two if they only plan to use one as a pass catching threat. We need draft picks, especially for the 2011 draft. We are thin at WR, OL, and RB and could use an ILB as well. As much as I like both Davis and Cooley it makes no sense to keep both unless they use them as the pass catching threats they are.

So the argument that one of them should be traded still makes sense unless they find a way to get them both involved in the offense. Instead, I hope they get both involved.

Fred Davis is a very talented athlete, and it would be nice to see him more involved, but the fact is Chris Cooley is a better football player. Cooly runs good routes, has great hands, good vision, and plays with heart.

There are reasons Cooley is starting and Davis is less involved. Don't get me wrong, Davis is good, he proved that last season, but his tendency to fumble at the worst times makes me nervous. Cooley never makes me nervous, in fact he inspires confidence. Why do you think McNabb looks to him so much?

Davis will get his opportunities I'm sure, and I hope he makes the most of them when he does, but I do not want his playing time to come at the expense of Captain Chaos.

Don't get me wrong, Davis is good, he proved that last season, but his tendency to fumble at the worst times makes me nervous. Cooley never makes me nervous, in fact he inspires confidence. Why do you think McNabb looks to him so much?

Davis will get his opportunities I'm sure, and I hope he makes the most of them when he does, but I do not want his playing time to come at the expense of Captain Chaos.

Huh? Fred Davis has 0...that is zero career fumbles. When has he ever had a fumbling problem?

Bottom line is one of them needs to be traded, or else we get nothing for Davis not resigning. The FO has an opportunity to show what kind of organization they want to be...I think everyone knows what the Patriots', or Eagles' FOs would do in this situation. Not saying we need to be them, but Davis is cheaper, 4 years younger, and has a higher ceiling.

Let's not act like McNabb being here isn't the sole reason Cooley is having a great year...

No. Finley was 3rd on the team in yards last year, Lee 6th. This year Finley leads them (not for long, obviously), but Lee and Quarless each only have 4 catches.

There really is just no way to get two high quality TEs the number of catches each needs. Either one or both get shorted. And when neither are particularly good blockers, it's even harder to get them both on the field. That's what a lot of us were saying this offseason.

Well the Lions have two TEs who both have more than 20 catches, Pettigrew and Scheffler. It can be done you just need to scheme for it. Now using the Lions as on offensive blueprint might not be a great way to go but it is possible to get two TEs involved as integral parts of your passing offense.

Davis will pull threw and be good I just wonder if he will get traded before that happens.
It would be nice to get something for him, rather than just let him go or waste him, if he doesn't get a starting job here.

And while I'd hate to see Cooley go, IF the coaches think Davis really would be as good as CC47, the smart thing for the team would still be to trade Cooley and start Davis. Even though Cooley is better than Davis now, because we could probably get a lot more for CC47 than FD. But that's a very important "if".

Huh? Fred Davis has 0...that is zero career fumbles. When has he ever had a fumbling problem?

My mistake. I just looked at Davis' stats line and was surprised to find he had no fumbles. I remember him making costly mistakes, but that could be one of those phantom memories I guess.

Help me out ES: Anybody else remember him causing turnovers, dropping balls, etc?

OK, so I was wrong about the fumbles, I must have been thinking about dropped passes and gotten mixed up. Davis drops a lot of passes. We all know he dropped an easy one this year. But consider this as well:

Redskins fans must be intrigued at the options they will get from their tight ends with the combination of Chris Cooley and Fred Davis, but although Davis flashed some playmaking skills, he was also guilty of nine drops, giving him the third-highest drop percentage. That’s in stark contrast to Cooley, who saw limited action but enough to finish with the fifth-lowest DP.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/04/01/dropping-percentage-study-part-two/

Archived