Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The People Who Say "Give It Time" And "Be Patient" are just making excuses.

blue collar

I totally agree with the people who say that this team is built to compete NOW. Everybody has heard it before. "You don't bring in Donovan McNabb if you're rebuilding." "You don't bring in free agents like Larry Johnson, Willie Parker and Joey Galloway if you're rebuilding." Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we trade our #2 next year for McNabb? Getting back to Galloway, if we were rebuilding, why is he even starting over our much younger recievers? If we were rebuilding, I don't think you bring in a near 60 year old coach. But that's debatable. Shanny's still a good coach.

Another question that everyone likes to avoid. What happens if McNabb bolts next year? Should we still be patient? Who's gonna QB this team if that happens? Grossman? I just don't think this is a "be patient" team or year. This team is made to win NOW.

i'll agree that the team did not take a patient approach when it should have. i think the fans would be much more understanding of a 4-12 season again if we had jettisoned our old players (via trade if they were any good) and were playing with a young team. i'd wager that the fans would accept a 4-12 season under that scenario better than a 6-10 season or 7-9 under our current situation.

i'm on the patience train in terms of giving shanny and allen time to build things up, but only if they are themselves patient. i'd rather suck for the next 5 years (and i mean rams/lions/oakland suck) and build a colts-like team, than keep "building to win now" and have average teams that barely make the playoffs if they get really lucky.

i'll agree that the team did not take a patient approach when it should have. i think the fans would be much more understanding of a 4-12 season again if we had jettisoned our old players (via trade if they were any good) and were playing with a young team. i'd wager that the fans would accept a 4-12 season under that scenario better than a 6-10 season or 7-9 under our current situation.

i'm on the patience train in terms of giving shanny and allen time to build things up, but only if they are themselves patient. i'd rather suck for the next 5 years (and i mean rams/lions/oakland suck) and build a colts-like team, than keep "building to win now" and have average teams that barely make the playoffs if they get really lucky.

4-12? No! These last to losses were the Skins own fault. They will bounce back.

Did you really need to start this thread? There's a thread about being patient which you were posting in.

Why can't this team win now? We've played 3 games out of 16. Anything can happen. Remmeber in 2008 when we started 6-2 and we thought we were going places?

And no we didn't trade our #2 in 2011 for McNabb. You really don't know much about this team

I totally agree with the people who say that this team is built to compete NOW. Everybody has heard it before. "You don't bring in Donovan McNabb if you're rebuilding." "You don't bring in free agents like Larry Johnson, Willie Parker and Joey Galloway if you're rebuilding." Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we trade our #2 next year for McNabb? Getting back to Galloway, if we were rebuilding, why is he even starting over our much younger recievers? If we were rebuilding, I don't think you bring in a near 60 year old coach. But that's debatable. Shanny's still a good coach.

Another question that everyone likes to avoid. What happens if McNabb bolts next year? Should we still be patient? Who's gonna QB this team if that happens? Grossman? I just don't think this is a "be patient" team or year. This team is made to win NOW.

Our WR corp sucks. The youngsters we have suck. There was NOTHING available on the market. We had 4 or 5 picks in the draft. It was a monumental task to rebuild this team with the cards they were dealt.

Our WR corp sucks. The youngsters we have suck. There was NOTHING available on the market. We had 4 or 5 picks in the draft. It was a monumental task to rebuild this team with the cards they were dealt.

Now explain why they went after McNabb (who I like) and old RB's and an old WR? The Parker, Johnson and Galloway signing are on the new regime.

We gave up our #2 in the 2010 draft and a 3rd or 4th round pick in the 2011 draft. This team isn't talented enough to win now, but they have a well coached team that WILL get this team successful in years to come. I still feel we will be 8-8 this year, but we have to gel as a team on both offense and defense and hope that the OL stays healthy.

Here's to beating the Iggles, Pack and Colts in the next three games :-)

Now explain why they went after McNabb (who I like) and old RB's and an old WR? The Parker, Johnson and Galloway signing are on the new regime.

McNabb has at least 4 years left in him. What RB's and WR's that were young, which has to be under 28 by your definition of old, that we could of gotten without mortgaging more future draft picks or trading away key players we already have? Larry Johnson was not the answer. Parker was not the answer. They were hoping to get some spark out of old players which they did not get and they dumped them at little cost to the team's coffers.

We tried young WR (Banks, Austin, Armstrong) and none of them have looked worth their salt.

This is not a win now mentality.

You are wrong. We didn't trade our second round pick next year for McNabb.

Larry Johnson and Joey Galloway were cheap veteran stop gaps, not premier FA signing, I'm not sure how adding them indicates we're built to compete for championships now.

And Willie Parker didn't even make the team after the preseason, how does he make your case for you?

The people who are calling for patience aren't making excuses, they are just demonstrating some sense.

Larry Johnson and Joey Galloway were cheap veteran stop gaps, not premier FA signing, I'm not sure how adding them indicates we're built to compete for championships now.

And Willie Parker didn't even make the team after the preseason, how does he make your case for you?

The people who are calling for patience aren't making excuses, they are just demonstrating some sense.

Again, who's the QB if McNabb leaves?

This team is built to play 2 1/2 quarters of football each game. They are the oldest team in the league and it shows. There is no legit running attack, no receivers anyone fears and an aging and shuffling o-line.

The only improvement over last year is McNabb - he is fine but the Oline is worse and most importantly the D is worse. They have personell for a 4-3 and there is no changing that. It was stupid to move from a scheme that was pretty good to a scheme that is just god awful.

I disagree that we aren't talented enough to win. You have to buy into a philosophy. You also have to be smart enough as a coach to adjust to the personnel that you are given. We are not adjusting. We are asking veteran players to play positions that they never have before. This is the same defensive personnel we had last year. You can't tell me that we can't play defense because I've seen the same people the last two years be a top ten defense. Maybe it's time to break out the ol' playbook. As far as the offense, McNabb is definitely an upgrade over JC. However, we are not the Texans. There isn't a big guy named Johnson at the other end of those 60 yard heaves. There seems to be a major disconnect between the coaches. Shanny appears to be letting his boy do whatever he wants to do. There is no consistency in any of the play calling. There also seems to be no communication with Shanny-Haslett. It's time to make adjustments NOW with the personnel you have or it's going to be a long season.

off the top of my head and without thinking about it too much, the only real "impatient" addition was mcnabb. most other FA's were stop gaps like you mention.

to me, the real sign of impatience was not blowing this thing up... trading portis, cooley, santana, haynesworth and any other decent vet approaching 30. we need a youth infusion that the shannys can mold into the shape they want. we would have been really bad and probably for a long time (5 yrs), but we would have come out of it a better team long term. we need 10+ picks in the upcoming draft(s), not 4-5.

in any case, i'm in this for the long haul. i really feel for the fans that weren't around for the 1980's and early 1990's... when we were good year in and year out.

Archived