Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

From what i saw, Maynor look pretty bad. That is somewhat surprising, because i really thought he would at the very least be a lateral move from Price. Webster needs clean looks to provide the numbers he got last year. And that means the pg will have to drive and kick. Maynor certainly is not doing that. I would have much rather had Beno than Maynor at this point.

A second line of Maynor, Rice, Ariza, Harrington, Seraphin isnt all that bad. But i think i would prefer Temple playing the point in that situation, because then we have 2 tenacious defenders, and 1 high motor player (Rice). Seraphin seems to play better against 2nd stringers, and Harrington will be hit or miss all season no matter where he plays. Rice will be the one to make plays in this rotation.

I watched most of the game last night and have these random disjointed thoughts.  It looked like almost all of our offense came from the backcourt.  Beal is looking really confident and is attacking the basket some which is a good sign.  I know Ekefor is maimed and Nene was sleepy but we didn't seem to have any post presence on the offensive side.  Harrington is going to be a great addition to this team. When he leaks outside it does leave the court more open for Wall to create.  damn the plan works.  Maynor is a crap sandwich.  It sucks big time that Porter is not practicing or playing right now.  This is a crucial time in his development.  I didn't even know we had a dude on the team named Josh Childress.  Veseley WTF.  Nice no looker. 

I'm still pleased with Ves's play and I think he's shown enough of an interior presence for the coach's to trust him with decent minutes once the season starts.

I don't know about starting him over Booker.  Booker doesn't offer much offense but he does a little bit of everything, I think you can trust him as the starter more than Ves.

But the truth is none of our front court guys are going to be playing traditional starters minutes.  I doubt any of them crack 30 MPG.  You've got about 96 minutes a night, I'm thinking you go 25 MPG for Nene, 24 for Booker, 20 for Ves, and 20 for Seraphin.  That leaves you like 7 minutes, I guess you give them to Ariza?

Oh wait, forgot about Harrington.  I'm not really sure how you work all five bigs in.  I'm guessing both Booker and Nene will miss a fair amount of time, so you might have each of them playing over 20 MPG no matter what.

Bottom line, the front court will sort of work itself out by default IMO.  We just don't have many options so someone is going to have to separate themselves by at least not crapping their pants when they're out on the floor.

The season really is all about the emergence of Wall and Beal.  If those guys stay healthy and do their thing, we'll make progress this season and have a good year.   For once, you've actually got practically every Wizards fan excited.  We can finally see the pieces now starting to come together on the court, something we've been waiting for since June 2010.

The new Zeke & Dumars?  Not sure there has ever been a better time in the league to build a team around a pair of guards.

The team has way too many "bigs". Especially when Singleton and Okafor return, not all of them can play center though.

Center: Okafor - Nene - Seraphin - Vesely

Power Forward: Nene - Harrington - Booker - Vesely - Singleton

Small Forward: Ariza - Webster - Porter - Rice - Singleton - Vesely

Shooting Guard: Beal - Webster - Rice - Temple

Point Guard: Wall - Maynor - Temple

Assuming Wittman isn't crazy, there are a lot of players that will be piling up DNPs in the front court.

I should start a chart that monitors your Wizards optimism.

I can save you time.  Starts a gradual climb from the end of April through May.  Then probably sharp but relatively minor dip after they do the lottery in early June.  Unless the Wizards actually move up, then it's a huge spike upwards.  

Then let's say a steady increase from late June after the draft up through August/September, where you'll see another sharp dip after we here about the latest severe offseason injury effecting a key player(s).

But then you'll see a pretty rapid increase up to your annual high at the end of October when the season starts.  

Then it's a Black Thursday-esque plummet through November, which becomes a steady downward trend through December and January and maybe even February until the humiliation is no longer fresh, and March Madness is about to start up as a proper distraction.  

Then we begin the cycle anew in April with another gradual progressive climb, as I look forward to our next lottery pick.

• Like 1

I can save you time.  Starts a gradual climb from the end of April through May.  Then probably sharp but relatively minor dip after they do the lottery in early June.  Unless the Wizards actually move up, then it's a huge spike upwards.  

Then let's say a steady increase from late June after the draft up through August/September, where you'll see another sharp dip after we here about the latest severe offseason injury effecting a key player(s).

But then you'll see a pretty rapid increase up to your annual high at the end of October when the season starts.  

Then it's a Black Thursday-esque plummet through November, which becomes a steady downward trend through December and January and maybe even February until the humiliation is no longer fresh, and March Madness is about to start up as a proper distraction.  

Then we begin the cycle anew in April with another gradual progressive climb, as I look forward to our next lottery pick.

I'll be back when the Wizards are 11-19 and Nene is out indefinitely. I imagine who will have a 6,000 word post about the need for a stretch 4 ready to go then.

I'll be back when the Wizards are 11-19 and Nene is out indefinitely. I imagine who will have a 6,000 word post about the need for a stretch 4 ready to go then.

Stretch 4 after 30 games? The team is currently searching for a starting caliber PF of any kind. Nene is likely to be starting at center with Okafor out forever with a herniated disc in his neck. We've got glass Booker and the corpse of Al Harrington to choose from. After them you have a two euros that if combined would still be unable to dribble a basketball.

Also 11-19? That's better than 8-22, 7-23, and 4-26, the results of the previous three seasons. I'll take it and lie to myself about getting healthy after the allstar break.

• Like 1

Tonight's game against the Pelicans (still weird) doesn't appear to be televised.

That's the homecoming game for Wall and Davis at Kentucky. That would have been fun to see.

Pelicans might be good this year. They are a hard team to predict but they have a lot of talent.

Don't like the 6 turnovers, but he's been great shooting the ball.

Really excited to see him progress this season.

I'm still thinking that we won't see what he can really do until year three. Which means that Beal might be really damn good. His handles in the preseason have been a lot better than I expected. He doesn't look like the same guy that was couldn't put the ball on the floor last season against Waiters in his first game.