Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It turned into a surprisingly entertaining game.  The Hornets were on cruise control in the 3rd and then the Wiz came roaring back...only to bungle it, but entertaining none the less.  Rookie PJ Washington threw up a little +29 last night.  I don't like Graham's game but he certainly killed us last night.

How about Bertans - the guy has ridiculous range!  

Oh and Rozier is no Kemba but you already know that.  

The team on the floor at the end of the game looked like they had no legs.  Beal and Rui's shots fell short.  To me that screams tired legs no longer getting the lift the rest of the body is used to when shooting.  Still, the game was exciting.  The team is not hopelessly terrible.  They just always seem to be missing the extra gear to push across the finish.

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Dude is a cold-blooded killer.

its a weak FA class, some team is going to throw dumb money at him. like 17mil per dumb.

Wizards front office really needs to do their homework to see if he wants to be here next season. It would suck to lose him for absolutely nothing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Gotta keep Bertans.  John Wall is coming back next season along with another lottery pick.  Mahinmi deal coming off the books.  Give that man the $$$$

re-signing Bertans brings up a different scenario, how far can a team of Wall (returning from major injury)/Beal/Rui/Bertans/Bryant & top 5 pick go? that squad probably maxes out at a fringe playoff team. beyond next year, assuming beal decides to stay again, you're looking at a squad that maxes out around the same as the previous iterations.

so much of this hard to project because we simply don't know how Wall meshes with this offense. Assuming he returns healthy, he still has to change his game to fit the nature of this offense. I think that may ultimately be harder for him than recovering from the achilles.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

re-signing Bertans brings up a different scenario, how far can a team of Wall (returning from major injury)/Beal/Rui/Bertans/Bryant & top 5 pick go? that squad probably maxes out at a fringe playoff team. beyond next year, assuming beal decides to stay again, you're looking at a squad that maxes out around the same as the previous iterations.

so much of this hard to project because we simply don't know how Wall meshes with this offense. Assuming he returns healthy, he still has to change his game to fit the nature of this offense. I think that may ultimately be harder for him than recovering from the achilles.

I believe that Wall immediately improves this team on both ends of the floor.  Add a high lottery pick, Rui continues to mature, Beal doesn’t have to shoulder so much of the load offensively, Bertans coming back, Wagner,  etc.  Draft a defensive minded guy who can bring some toughness on the other end of the floor because that is sorely lacking and hopefully Wall coming back can also add some intensity.  I could see the Wiz being more than a fringe playoff team if everything falls into place.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Two things.

1- what does Wall have left?  If he’s reduced to an above average point guard, that still can’t shoot, making super star money that pushes the timeline further out.  Basically the team has to keep him until they can get rid of him and they can’t make a run until he’s gone.  If he’s still an all star level player though, things are different.

2- Bryant can’t be the starting center with that group.  Wall/Beal/Rui/Bertans is a crazy good offensive group.  Rui will be even better after this season.  But they‘d need a defensive rebounding center badly. 

If I was the GM I’d be probably trade Bertans if someone other than the likely finals contenders offered a first round pick.  Not because I don’t want to keep him, I absolutely would love to have him.  I just don’t think they can afford him.  He’s a fantastic shooter, and a big one.  There aren’t that many 6’10 snipers out there that can shoot off the dribble other than KD (and I’m not saying Bertans is nearly as good as KD).  He’s an extremely valuable player in today’s game. 

• Like 1