Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What's the site? I love reading other team's message boards.

And Steve, you forgot DeMarcus Cousins. I'd put him #2 after Wall (I refuse to count Blake Griffin as a rookie). nba.com has Crawford as the 4th best after Wall, Cousins and Monroe.

Oh damn, so I did. As memorable as he is, that's a silly lapse.

Monroe has been steady, but has he been as spectacular as Crawford has in the short time he's been starting?

http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/

Pretty damn good. I can't believe how fast Ted and Ernie have started to turn this thing around. Us Wiz fans are used to 20 year rebuilding plans.

That's an awesome site, I'm going to have to bookmark that. So Wall gets his first triple double six games into his career. Crawford gets his 10 starts into his career. What a backcourt we've got on our hands.

From Ted Leonsis.

http://www.tedstake.com/2011/04/01/my-take-on-john-wall/

My Take on John Wall

I have great respect for John Wall’s competitive spirit.

We have his back. We are in this together.

He learned a lesson here but we support him 110%.

He is a very nice young man; very polite; and very respectful. He is very coachable.

The suspension is unfortunate but we accept it via the NBA rules and regulations.

John is the centerpiece of our rebuild.

I am proud of him. He is being tested in many ways in this his rookie year and year one of our rebuild.

He is remorseful about this incident but he is not a rough and tumble player. He is a talent; a leader; and a great and upstanding young man.

We will miss him tonight. Lessons learned and now onward.

I get the feeling that players on the Caps and Wizards love Ted. That he really does make it feel like a big family. I have full confidence in them resigning Wall when the time comes.

Oh damn, so I did. As memorable as he is, that's a silly lapse.

Monroe has been steady, but has he been as spectacular as Crawford has in the short time he's been starting?

That's an awesome site, I'm going to have to bookmark that. So Wall gets his first triple double six games into his career. Crawford gets his 10 starts into his career. What a backcourt we've got on our hands.

Here's Monroe's game log. He's been lighting it up:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monrogr01/gamelog/2011/

At one point he was considered a potential #1 overall pick. I think questions arose about him possibly being soft and Jeff Green's "eh" play with the Thunder didn't help. And like Green, I don't think people were really sure about what position he would play. I think a lot of it was just him playing within the Princeton Offense at Georgetown though. He's gonna be a good one.

BTW, don't know if you've been on that site (basketball-reference.com) but that's one of the greatest sports sites ever. At least when it comes to statistics and whatnot.

This upcoming draft is going to be so huge. We need a stud with the top pick. And a solid contributer with the second 1st. Then the early 2nd can be a project with high upside. Kinda like this past draft--Wall (stud), Booker (solid contributer), Seraphin (project with upside.) I hope to God the looming labor dispute isn't going to sway a lot of the top picks to stay in school.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Blatche's 16 offensive rebounds was the most by a player in a single game since 1997. And tied for 4th most in a game since they started keeping track of offensive rebounds in 1972. WTF is really going on.

I admit I don't keep up all that much with the Wizards, other than I've been killing in fantasy lately by having Jordan Crawford.:) But wasn't this Blatche's first game back in awhile? I had to do a double-take when I saw his line tonite. I was like...whaa..? Why is this guy so inconsistent? That just doesn't make any sense.

I admit I don't keep up all that much with the Wizards, other than I've been killing in fantasy lately by having Jordan Crawford.:) But wasn't this Blatche's first game back in awhile? I had to do a double-take when I saw his line tonite. I was like...whaa..? Why is this guy so inconsistent? That just doesn't make any sense.

Yeah it was his first game back in a couple of weeks, maybe longer. Sore shoulder or some*coughtankingcough*thing. They picked a good team to bring him back for. The Cavs both suck and are depleted by injuries.

It's been the same story with Blache almostt since he got into the league. He's lazy. He's soft. He wants to hit the club more than he does the gym. The best and most consistent performance of his career came last year in the two months before his contract was up. So of course we ink him long term (5 years, $7 mil per) and he comes into this season as the same old ****ty Blatche. You can't win with players like that. As McQueen pointed out, games like this are great for his trade value. I just hope that people aren't fooled yet again if he keeps it up; that includes Ted and Errnie.

(And games like tthis make me hate him even more. It just shows what he's capable of and what he refuses to put in the work for.)

LOL man your a trip after every good game Blatche and McGee has you hate them more LOL! When McGee got his triple double you said almost the same thing. When our young guys have games like this its good for there confidence, you can't tell me after McGee got that triple double he has been playing better basketball.

I am not a Blatche fan I am a Wizards fan and I support him as long as he is with the club and when he puts numbers up like this its awesome too see even if its vs the Cavs. If he can have half the performance like this on a nightly basics agaisn't good teams then we are working with something.

One other thing I was wondering: What are the Wizards gonna do with Nick Young? I mean, what's his contract situation? Seems to me they wouldn't want to keep both of these guys. And if they had to choose, you would think they'd want to stick with Crawford (less money, more upside).

One other thing I was wondering: What are the Wizards gonna do with Nick Young? I mean, what's his contract situation? Seems to me they wouldn't want to keep both of these guys. And if they had to choose, you would think they'd want to stick with Crawford (less money, more upside).

I think Nick Young is going to stay. He would be a nice six man option; sort of our version of Jason Terry.

I think Nick Young is going to stay. He would be a nice six man option; sort of our version of Jason Terry.

Will they be able to co-exist? I mean, Young had been the starter for a long time. Will he want to accept a six man role? Or when he's healthy, do they plan on bringing Crawford off the bench? I honestly don't follow them enough to know this stuff, so I was just curious.

Btw, speaking of sixth men. Thaddeous Young has been doing work lately. Helped get the Sixers back to the playoffs. Only Brand's second time ever in the postseason.

Will they be able to co-exist? I mean, Young had been the starter for a long time. Will he want to accept a six man role? Or when he's healthy, do they plan on bringing Crawford off the bench? I honestly don't follow them enough to know this stuff, so I was just curious.

Btw, speaking of sixth men. Thaddeous Young has been doing work lately. Helped get the Sixers back to the playoffs. Only Brand's second time ever in the postseason.

Crawford will be the 6th man and combo guard off the bench playing the 1 and 2. NY is a better defender and more effcient scorer also he is a true 2 guard he will start.

I get the feeling that players on the Caps and Wizards love Ted. That he really does make it feel like a big family. I have full confidence in them resigning Wall when the time comes.
I think we'll be able to extend Wall when the day comes. We'll be more talented by then and he's the type who won't want to jump ship when the going gets tough. He strikes me as a loyalist, and it helps that the D.C. market ensures he'll never toil in obscurity. Plus we may get a franchise tag to work with.

I like that Ted has his back. Even Flip had Wall's back!

"Next year, they'll know that they just can't go out there and punk him. He's got to learn in that kind of situation, there's something called a push," Saunders said.
I laughed and then actually gained a bit of respect for him because he stood up for Wall. Javale too. I wasn't sure if Wall even liked Javale but it seems like they are friends. I think this group is actually bonding. Why shouldn't they when you think about it? They've been together for almost a year and most of them are basically growing up together. They'll be closer next season if there isn't a lockout.

I still don't think Flip is the right man for the job though. Has he ever developed a rebuilding team before? Plus that haircut and Jeff Daniels look don't inspire confidence. But I have no idea who we could get that would be better.

Also, check this out from the AP article:

It's hard to believe that a team that lost 18 of its previous 21 games, has a horrifying 2-35 record on the road and just 19 wins became the first NBA team since the 2003-04 Los Angeles Lakers with three players posting triple-doubles in a season.
That's nuts. But it says to me that we're loaded with young talent. They just don't know how to win at all yet.

I also think part of the reason we're playing better the past few games is because Maurice Evans is actually giving us some production from our 3 spot. It seems like he steadies us and he really tries hard on defense and has a good motor. How long is Howard's extension for? Is he a free man yet? I'd hope the decision is made to keep Evans over him.

I also wish Rashard could be let go because we've got much better chemistry without having to find him minutes. Look at it this way though, there will probably be a lockout next year so then we'll come back for 2012-2013 and when we come back Rashard's contract will be expiring. He'll become a massive trade chip that year. That's when I think you'll see us make a move for a good veteran. It'll be the second season for Wall and Crawford and the first from two more likely lottery picks (assuming they use similar standings for calculating next year's lottery order. We'll have a pretty good idea of what we need going forward.

Here's Monroe's game log. He's been lighting it up:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monrogr01/gamelog/2011/

At one point he was considered a potential #1 overall pick. I think questions arose about him possibly being soft and Jeff Green's "eh" play with the Thunder didn't help. And like Green, I don't think people were really sure about what position he would play. I think a lot of it was just him playing within the Princeton Offense at Georgetown though. He's gonna be a good one.

Yeah wow, I didn't realize he'd been as good as he had. Joe Dumars got something right.
BTW, don't know if you've been on that site (basketball-reference.com) but that's one of the greatest sports sites ever. At least when it comes to statistics and whatnot.
This thing is incredible. It's got George Mikan's complete career history on here. The all-time fan rankings are cool too. I don't think I'd seen this before. I use the profootball-reference site all of the time. Come to think of it, I bet baseball one too. I wonder if I can look up gamelogs of Honus Wagner or something. cfbstats.com is also an incredible resource although some of its numbers aren't definitive (don't trust the QB pressures stat, it's completely wrong for most players).
This upcoming draft is going to be so huge. We need a stud with the top pick. And a solid contributer with the second 1st. Then the early 2nd can be a project with high upside. Kinda like this past draft--Wall (stud), Booker (solid contributer), Seraphin (project with upside.) I hope to God the looming labor dispute isn't going to sway a lot of the top picks to stay in school.

I know. I'll feel a lot more comfortable once I know what lottery pick we actually get. I have a feeling we'll get screwed and end up with the seventh overall pick somehow. It's the DC sports fan's mentality. Ted has the devil's own luck, but it'll take a while to undue the damage that's been inflicted on my sports psyche.

Regardless, we can't win any more. It's felt great to win the Jazz game and this one and also play the Heat tough. But there are seven games left and I'm worried about going on a pointless mini-run and dropping in the lottery standings. Minnesota, Cleveland, and Sacramento don't really have winnable games left. Unless you count vs. us for Cleveland. But losing to them doesn't really help us gain any ground on them.

Dropping to fourth in the standings feels like a disaster because it means we could pick as late as seventh. I doubt there will be seven worthwhile picks at the top. As I see it these are the guys I think will eventually declare:

- Derrick Williams & Kyrie Irving - the one and two picks if they come out.

- Perry Jones - always struck me as a one and done (although if he stays, Baylor will be super talented next year)

- Terrence Jones & Brandon Knight - incoming class too good for them to stay

- Vessely, Montiejunas, Mirotic - it's now or never, they're just getting older and less relevant

- Kanter - why wouldn't he?

- either John Henson or Harrison Barnes - one is coming out because of fear of losing playing time to the incoming freshmen. Then again, Ed Davis stayed another year even though Henson was coming in.

Guys that could go either way:

- Valanciunas - I'm leaning towards declare

- Biyombo and Noguiera - I'm leaning towards stays

- either John Henson or Harrison Barnes - I think one of them will stay

Hopefully Barnes and Irving decide to declare if we don't land a top 3 pick. If they do, we'll still get a good prospect picking third and fourth. If we pick fifth, we'll probably still get a good prospect if Valanciunas declares. Picking sixth would be extremely disappointing because we're probably choosing between Perry and Terrence Jones at that point which would be a bummer. I think picking seventh would be awful.

If we pick third, we can probably get Kanter, who I think is my top choice from everything I've read. He can replace Blatche's post scoring and upgrade his rebounding and defense a good deal. He'd give us a warhorse to pair with McGee. We can probably get him picking fourth too if Minnesota, Cleveland, and Sacramento are the ones picking ahead of us--I doubt Minnesota or Sacramento would take him and Cleveland is hopefully picking Derrick Williams. Sacramento would probably take a wing before another post player.

I agree we need a stud. This is our last high lottery pick for certain (probably the second to last high lottery pick) of the John Wall window. We need to make this one count and find a complimentary long term starter out of it. Follow the Bulls model and get our Carlos Boozer is my thinking.

false crawford is a better defender..

hands down

No he is not againest 2 guards and its not even close. NY1 is a better 2 guard then Crawford by a mile, but what Crawford brings is the ability to play either spot. Crawford can come off the bench and be the backup PG and also get minutes at the 2 guard being a combo guard which is really what he is. Crawford can still get 30min a game next year off the bench and we've seen flip play NY at SF alot this year which would open up even more minutes.

I

LOL man your a trip after every good game Blatche and McGee has you hate them more LOL! When McGee got his triple double you said almost the same thing. When our young guys have games like this its good for there confidence, you can't tell me after McGee got that triple double he has been playing better basketball.

I am not a Blatche fan I am a Wizards fan and I support him as long as he is with the club and when he puts numbers up like this its awesome too see even if its vs the Cavs. If he can have half the performance like this on a nightly basics agaisn't good teams then we are working with something.

Blatche is on a different level than McGee. Among other things, Blatche has a long history here. If I was the only one paying attention then so be it.

And I'm not going to support a player who's existence is detrimental to the team.

This is not true at all but OK.

Yup. Crawford's aggressiveness is great but I loved Nick's effort on D this year. Like a completely different player.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

You are overrating Nick Youngs defense bro its average at best

His defense has improved alot since his early days. Is he a lockdown defender, no i'm not saying that, but he is a good defender that can lockdown in stretches. That says alot with the way he was carrying the offense creating 1 on 1 and running around screens all game working hard on offense.

Crawford is flatout to small to be a starting 2 guard playing big minutes. I think with a Wall/ NY1 back court with Crawford getting big minutes being the 3rd guard is perfect he can steal minutes at PG and OG. I honestly think he looks much better at PG in my opinion.

Blatche has earned his scorn. Blatche is a tool who has gotten in a lot of trouble off the field. His head isn't on straight. Not only that, I think there is a difference between the criticism of Blatche and McGee (hence why I defend McGee and not Blatche).

The criticism for McGee is that he's a manchild who does a lot of dumb things because he doesn't know better. Can you blame him though? Bill Simmons is right, McGee's mom is completely nuts (she kissed Dr. J on the lips at the dunk contest LOL!). Pam-McGee-Kissing-Dr-Jay-Slam-dunk-contest.jpg

McGee actually plays hard though. He'll grow up eventually.

Blatche's problems are that he's an ******* and a lazy player. He gives a lackadaisical effort on the court and he tries a bunch of stupid ****, not because he's a fool like McGee, but because he just doesn't care. Plus he's pathetic for getting into ****y twitter battles with the fans. My God, he's a millionaire pro-basketball player, why on earth would he do that?

Plus McGee plays within the framework of the offense and tries on defense. Blatche disrupts our offense because he's one of our top two scoring options and demands those kinds of shots without making them. He's a finesse power forward when we can't really afford to have that type of player at that position. Finally, he's not a good defensive rebounder (again from lack of effort) when we need to get at least some starter who is.

These types of games are great from Blatche because they give desperate GMs from other teams an inkling like, "well damn, Washington is just dysfunctional, we can rescue this guy's career; he just needs a change of scenery." That is what excites me the most about these types of games from Blatche. We can actually pretend like we want to keep him.

If we can turn Kirk Hinrich and Hilton Armstrong into Jordan Crawford, a first round pick, a solid contributor in Mo Evans, and about 10 million in cap space, what can we get for a guy with solid numbers and some actual upside?