Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Love is the only bad defensive starter there. Cousins isn't a bad man defender, he lacks proper rotation but he's still a young big man, he can learn. Jan and Booker are pretty good Pick and Roll defenders and I'd save above average with their help defense. At the very least we'd be an above average rebounding team. How far the team would go past the 1st round would be on Wall and cousins chemistry.

My only issue is, that Nene would make an excellent mentor for him. Any potential trade will also have to ensure that the Sonics...err..Kings...or w/e will be able to tank next season to the point they are assured Wiggins or Parker. If they wanted Okafor..I'd offer him up, but I'm willing to wait until the trade deadline with him and seeing which "potential contender" has a moment of desperation. Dream scenario would be Okafor+'13 1st top 3 protected+Seraphin for Cousins+filler. Then follow up with Nene+Ariza+'14 top 3 protected 1st for Love+filler

Wall/Price

Beal/Someone competent/Tomas

Webster/FA/2nd round pick

Love/Booker

Cousins/Jan/FA

One can dream...

I would put Nene on the table if the Kings wanted him though I would much rather put Oak on the table instead.

My thinking is the Kings could use both for different purposes.

They could use Nene badly to mentor their young team and bring some vet character to it--so could we.

They could use Oak for a little of that too but mainly they could use his almost 15 million in expiring cap space next season to truly start a rebuild off early.

I guess it could be smart to top 3 protect the pick. I'd go unprotected to get the deal done though. First overall protection or top two protection would probably be enough for me too.

Think this would get it done?

Wiz trade: Oak + Draft Pick + Ves + Seraphin

Kings trade: Cousins + Salmons + Garcia

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bkk5p5t

Pros for Wiz: we get Cousins.

Pros for Kings: they get out of the Cousins situation, get a fresh start and all that. They get some quality young talent for role players in Ves and Seraphin. They get a high draft pick to pair with their own high draft pick. That's two high lottos. They get a massive expiring contract next year from Oak's deal, which is basically getting a little over 7 million in extra cap relief for next year (guaranteed value of Salmons's deal next season).

Negatives for Wizards: Aside from the obvious cost and the risks Cousins's poses, we get that 7.5 million less cap relief for next year from the Salmons deal. We get thin in the front court and have to find a serviceable third big or be forced to rely on Booker and Nene. Eh...

The way I see it, our most valuable assets in potential deals are, by tier,

2013 first rounder

2014 first rounder

---

Nene

Oak's deal

---

Seraphin

Ariza

---

Ves

Crawford

---

Booker

Singleton

I want to keep some of those assets. I don't want to have to take back Salmons's deal but I would depending on what I had to give up.

Let's say Sacramento doesn't want to go too young, they want the 2014 pick (or we protect the 2013 pick and the protection gets triggered). Let's say they don't want Nene because they're in tank mode and want to go young and keep salary flexibility so they want Oak and to offload Salmons. If that happens, I don't really want to give up Seraphin in the trade. I'd rather trade Ves and Booker or Singleton.

But I would deal Seraphin if we kept this year's draft pick. Then I'd use it on the best of Nerlens, Zeller, or Len.

I can't see them wanting Crawford because they've got Jimmer and Thornton.

1: Wall / X

2: Beal / Crawford

3: Martell / Ariza

4: Nene / X

5: Cousins / Noel, Zeller, or Len

The depth depends on which of Serpahin, Ves, Booker, and Singleton you had to deal. The backup C is from the draft pick we kept this year. The plan would eventually be to start him and move Cousins to PF when Nene gets old or traded. That's a pretty good core. It wouldn't hurt to lose the 2014 pick because I think we'd be a playoff team in 2014 easy.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 08:58 PM ----------

And I meant to say it before, I don't see Minny dealing Love and definitely not for that offer. It's too little compensation. Love is a perennial All Star big man.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

Love may be a bad defender but he's a fantastic rebounder which reduces second chance points.

He's strong too. Just get an athlete to play C on offense and PF on defense to play beside him. Love can just plant himself near the lane and take up space and body guys out of the paint. Keep his responsibilities limited and he could thrive.

Yah i was just dreaming about landing Love. Honestly, if I were the new sonics FO, I'd retain Cousins until next years trade deadline, if they stink it up next year as well, they should trade away pieces in order to ensure a solid tank job for wiggins or parker. Cousins is most effective in the low post so, since nene can actually hit a mid range jumper I wouldn't mind that lineup change. And if we can't get love, I think something on the lines of trading for derrick williams. A potential FC of Cousins and Williams could be useful as well.

Okafor+Seraphin+chris singleton+top 3 protected pick for Cousins+salmons

then

Booker+Ariza+JC+top 10 protected 14' pick for Williams+Roy(who is non guarenteed since he's missed a certain amount of games, so essentially an expiring)

Wall/Price

Beal/Tomas/FA

Webster/Salmons/FA

Williams/Jan/2nd round pick

Cousins/Nene(I actually like Nene for 25-30 mins a game coming off the bench, lessen the load on him)

I wouldn't trade that much for Derrick Williams. DWill has been as disappointing and slow to develop as Ves.

Nene + Cousins would be an ideal front court and if I managed to get that together, I wouldn't change it. Cousins is a rebounder, Nene boxes out. Both Cousins and Nene can fade out into the mid range area and stretch the floor but both are also very effective in the low post. Nene is the ideal personality and stabilizing element in the locker room to pair with a volatile guy like Cousins.

Also I would think when you protect your pick you can't deal your next year's first rounder until it's clear you will actually have one.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

If Nene was selfish he would easily be a 20+ PPG scorer. Lord he's feeling it.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 10:18 PM ----------

Nene 12 points on 6/6 shooting in the first five minutes.

Nene Cousins and Wall would cost 41 million in 2015-16 if Wall and Cousins get max deals. Not sure there is enough offense there to justify the expense.

Cousins is a big time scorer that can drop 30 pretty easily when he's feeling it with that nasty inside out game and Nene and Wall can easily be 16-18 PPG scorers plus you've got what Beal and Crawford bring on cheap deals. By the time Nene comes off his deal you can max Beal out. Beal and Cousins would both be 20+ PPG scorers eventually.

Plus you can get scoring from the three, whoever that may be.

Scoring wouldn't be the problem IMO.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 10:33 PM ----------

Martell needs to be the starting SF next season. Unless we make a big deal for a really good SF of course. Otherwise, he's emerged for us and offers good continuity we could use.

Big quarter but dampened by the fact Portland was nearly as hot. We need to slow them down.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 10:39 PM ----------

Seraphin not having a great start.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 10:40 PM ----------

Wall will have 3 TOs to start, none of which were his fault. Catch the ball fellas.