Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You're right in some ways. Beal could lead the team offensively one day. I do think he can be an aggressive shot taker and thrive as the number one option in time. I hope he does become a go to option in crunch time like Harden was for OKC last season.

Yeah, that's exactly my argument. I don't want Beal to become a Crawford, but the guy was a number three pick for a reason and number three picks aren't generally drafted to come in and play second in the rotation. I liked what I saw from Beal yesterday because he was in the flow of the game. His defense could improve, but he was doing a lot of things correctly, He was getting open and finding open teammates and making shots (and free throws), I don't expect him to become the guy we build around necessarily, but look at other teams, OKC is the obvious one, but look at how Butler was when he was here (and particulalry when Agent 0 went down the first time), look at the way Wade was when he was in Miami with Shaq, there are a number of examples, but I want to see how much Beal grows this year and exactly what role he's playing on this team and if he's the guy who wants to take that final shot (and the guy we trust to make it). I want to see if he can take over games like Kyrie. I mean, thats something I really want to know about him because if he becomes a threat to score 30 a night then it change the whole situation.

Plus Beal is the type who is going to figure out how to adapt and fit himself into the structure of the team. He's a glue man at heart. The first thing Billy Donovan (and pretty much everyone who knows Beal) brings up when they talk about him is how Beal "gets it." He understands the dynamics of team ball. He approaches the game from the perspective of a coach IMO--a sort of detached self conscious review of a situation. He sees the sort of big picture of the team. he's a guy who could lead if you needed him to, but your best bet is having him work with an alpha type.

Much the same as Vesely, Singleton, Nene, and Booker.

I hope this isn't true. Vesely, Singleton and Booker (I don't know about Nene) are guys who seem to want to pass the Ball. Singleton may be changing somewhat (that dunk was awesome the other day), but last year he was so out of it offensively. But all of their skillsets are much more limited than Beal's, Beal has a better drive game than all of them and is a MUCH better shooter than all of them, so I expect more from Beal offensively than them. I really want Beal to become a cornerstone of this franchise. We had the big 3 with Gil, Jamison, and Butler and I'd think of like similar with Wall, Beal and Seraphin but with better players offensively.

Really, I think our team has three alpha types, Seraphin, Wall, and Crawford, which is the right kind of distribution IMO. You want your transcendent PG to be that focal point. And you want that kind of attitude in your sixth man spark plug type. And you want an assertive big. But the best part is that, even though those guys are aggressive, they are very unselfish basketball players. They get it. They don't piss off their teammates or step on toes. And I think losing so much and being younger than everyone and having that "little brother" reputation with guys like Kenny and Chuck making fun of them constantly has made them hungry.

You'd call Seraphin an alpha type? I think he's still developing it. He was afraid and he still doesn't demand the ball. I don't know, but I think that this team is partially too nice. I want somebody like Garnett screaming in the faces of our teammates when they eff up or demaning the ball at the top of the key or in the low post. Seraphin's not doing that, and neither is Beal. Crawford definitely is (sometimes unfortunately so).

Consequently, that's why I wouldn't cry if we lose a ton of games and came away with James McAdoo in this year's draft. He specifically would fit well with this team.

I think the pieces are coming together with this team. One of the hardest things to do in the NBA is keep a young team together for the necessary amount of time to let it grow properly. You know what's bizarre to me? Ernie's draft picks and trades to bring in young players the past three years have actually been the right calls for the most part. It was the right call to trade Heinrich and Armstrong for Crawf and Singleton. It was the right time to ship out Arenas. It was the right call to ship out JaVale and NY. But his personnel decisions to bring in veterans have mostly been abominable. How can someone do so well projecting rookie and young talent and simultaneously be such a horrible judge of market value and proven veteran talent?

I agree. I'm not so negative on Ernie as others. I mean, people seem to forget how bad this team was with Wes as Coach/GM. At least we as fans can think of the possibility of making the playoffs, and at least we have talent. Back in the 90s, I couldn't even watch Wizards games cause we were just embarrassing. Would I rather he be fired and we bring in somebody new? maybe, if we know we're getting somebody talented, but I think when you only look at one side of Ernie (the good or the bad) you're doing him a disservice.The guy is a mediocre GM. Not great, but not horrible. He gets lucky occasionally, and occasionally makes great moves and occasionally makes horrific moves. I'm more inspired when I look at the players we drafted the past few years than I am when i think about firing or not firing Ernie,

What's surprising to me is I would think it would be much, much more difficult to evaluate and project than veteran NBA players that are fully grown and have essentially proven themselves.

The thing I like about Beal Thinking Skins is that he can put up good numbers while playing within the team. I see him as being like ~19-20 PPG, 4-5 RPG, 3 APG, a couple of threes, and maybe a steal and a block or two. On good shooting clips. He will never have to gun for those numbers.

I do see Seraphin as an alpha type. He's a confident player and a tough guy. Once he's experienced enough, he will assert himself offensively and look for the ball to score. He's going to be our chief low post scorer most likely.

---------- Post added November-10th-2012 at 11:16 AM ----------

Another thing I like about Beal is how well he seems to be adjusting defensively. Guys will still get around him when he's on the ball. He hasn't seen enough yet to stay in front of the good guards. But when he's playing off the ball, he has been a hound. He hustles back in transition, fights through so many screens, and contests every shot he can. I love his motor and his functional strength and toughness.

And his arms also look a lot longer than I expected. He can be disruptive even when he's out of position and he can protect the rim. More explosive leaper and quicker than he gets credit for.

These are some of the things I loved about him at Florida. They're subtle and you wouldn't have noticed them unless you watched him very closely last season.

I'd rather Beal be encouraged to attack instead of simply flow with the offense. Not every time, certainly, but he needs to be encouraged to try to get to the basket and finish string and angry. This team has guys that can go with the flow they need a guy that can be handed the ball and either score or get to the line. He's got the body for it and a midrange shot defenders have to respect. Force the issue and when they adjust start hitting the pull up jumper. The three point shot will come with time and work. He's got three years to get it right, no one expects greatness before then. If they teach him that aggression I think he can be a 20ppg or more player. He's better moving forward than when he's caught moving away from the basket or sideways. Worst of all though is that he disappears when he isn't aggressive.

He's got time but the path you want is for him to average around 15ppg this season. Big time scorers don't usually start off in single digits. He needs to get his points and let efficiency and experience turn him into an elite scoring option.

I'd rather Beal be encouraged to attack instead of simply flow with the offense. Not every time, certainly, but he needs to be encouraged to try to get to the basket and finish string and angry. This team has guys that can go with the flow they need a guy that can be handed the ball and either score or get to the line. He's got the body for it and a midrange shot defenders have to respect. Force the issue and when they adjust start hitting the pull up jumper. The three point shot will come with time and work. He's got three years to get it right, no one expects greatness before then. If they teach him that aggression I think he can be a 20ppg or more player. He's better moving forward than when he's caught moving away from the basket or sideways. Worst of all though is that he disappears when he isn't aggressive.

He's got time but the path you want is for him to average around 15ppg this season. Big time scorers don't usually start off in single digits. He needs to get his points and let efficiency and experience turn him into an elite scoring option.

im just concerned about his handles.

We gotta work on closing out quarters. Seems like anytime we have lead, we rush to give it back in the last 2 minutes of a quarter.

Still don't like Wittman's rotations. Beal played great in the 1st quarter, didn't see action until the 6min mark of the 2nd quarter. I don't really see any rhyme or reason to Wittman's approach in these first few games.

Edited by StillUnknown

Wittmans rotation is killing us again. This coach is so incredibly ****ing terrible.

Why no Okafor and Seraphin? Why pair him with Booker when the offense is setting up Okafor with shots at around the foul line? Booker is terrible alone on the block.

Edited by Destino