Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Man I would love for the CBA to be structured so we can get out of this **** contract. Glimmer of hope: Leonsis is influential and knows what is going on with the NBA/CBA talks. Maybe he knows that a deal is on the horizon that allows teams to jettison these terrible guaranteed contracts.

I've read the Allan Houston Rule is a very real possibility with this new CBA. Some are saying it's likely.

I don't understand how that would work with the cap.

I think it's based on his performance from either the year before or the totality of his contract. So before the cap numbers go into effect for 2012, they will determine if Lewis met the incentives or not. If he didn't, he only gets the $10M that he is guaranteed and nothing else.

I don't see how you can be a Wizards fan, and like Lebron, every Wizards fan I know, here or outside of this site, hates him with a passion. Hell I don't even like him :ols:

Haha good one bro! Like i said, i dont follow the crowd. Just because 'every' wizards fan hates him, doesnt mean i will.

go over the luxury tax!

Lol. That's what I was thinking. You have a $10 cap number for him, sign another player at $10 and then Lewis meets his incentives so that shoots you into the luxury tax.

I think it's based on his performance from either the year before or the totality of his contract. So before the cap numbers go into effect for 2012, they will determine if Lewis met the incentives or not. If he didn't, he only gets the $10M that he is guaranteed and nothing else.

This is what makes sense though.

So really we're saving $30 mil. It is what it is. I wanted a draft pick (at least a 2nd for Gods sake) but I'm not horribly upset.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I somewhat like the deal. I wish we would have gotten Carter's contract instead but I still think we benefit by having Rashard and his contract vs. Gil and his. Because of Wall and Hinrich Gil became expandable from a talent perspective. Both players have a lot of talent, but both are way overpaid as well. Getting Rashard allows us to get a star to put next to Wall one year earlier, and shifts talent from the 1-2 position where we were already set to the 3-4 position where we were somewhat weak. It's not a perfect deal but we had a horrible contract with Arenas and it does put this franchise in a slightly better position for the future.

I somewhat like the deal. I wish we would have gotten Carter's contract instead but I still think we benefit by having Rashard and his contract vs. Gil and his. Because of Wall and Hinrich Gil became expandable from a talent perspective. Both players have a lot of talent, but both are way overpaid as well. Getting Rashard allows us to get a star to put next to Wall one year earlier, and shifts talent from the 1-2 position where we were already set to the 3-4 position where we were somewhat weak. It's not a perfect deal but we had a horrible contract with Arenas and it does put this franchise in a slightly better position for the future.

This.

Plus I would add that Gil just wasn't a good fit with Wall. They're both naturally focuses of an offense. They both need to dominate a possession to be truly effective. Gil tried to play a secondary role but he is who he is.

My head hurts trying to work all of this out. The bottom line for me is this:

--We needed to move on from Arenas and this might have been our only other option outside of a buyout

--We moved laterally at best acquiring Lewis, but at least his deal is shorter

--Lewis is 31 year old soft combo forward who's skills are in decline, but is hopefully a better starting option than Al Thornton

--I HOPE making this deal doesn't preclude us from looking for a SF at the top of this year's draft. I don't think it will since it's not like Leonsis will want to build around Lewis. It's also not like having Gil stopped us from taking Wall.

I also really hope this deal doesn't make us think we're free to trade our lottery pick this year like we did the year before last.

I will say though that despite how it ended, for me Gil is a Wizards legend. He gave me the best moments of my life as a Wizards fan. For that I'll always be grateful. I'll always root for him for that and I hope he has nothing but success in Orlando.

---------- Post added December-18th-2010 at 05:56 PM ----------

--I HOPE making this deal doesn't preclude us from looking for a SF at the top of this year's draft. I don't think it will since it's not like Leonsis will want to build around Lewis. It's also not like having Gil stopped us from taking Wall.

I also really hope this deal doesn't make us think we're free to trade our lottery pick this year like we did the year before last.

I promise you neither of those things are going to happen.

Yeah and because every Redskins fan hates the Cowboys, you shouldn't!

You're so rebellious! I bet you wear your LeBron and Romo jerseys with pride.

HAHA. Wow, you guys are too much. All redskins and wizards fans think exactly alike, is that what your saying?

I will say though that despite how it ended, for me Gil is a Wizards legend. He gave me the best moments of my life as a Wizards fan. For that I'll always be grateful. I'll always root for him for that and I hope he has nothing but success in Orlando.

---------- Post added December-18th-2010 at 05:56 PM ----------

I promise you neither of those things are going to happen.

agreed some of the shots he made during those playoff years were unbelievable

i wish him the best

+1. Will never forget the daggers, the swag and the attitude he brought. He had this city and this fan base believing. I hope he has a true redemption story and wins a championship in Orlando. No one in the NBA deserves it more than he does right now.

Wall needs to get on the court ASAP. The more I watch this team, the more it depresses me of what we once had. I know it wasn't much, but it was something. :(

Edited by No Excuses

I also heard Lewis' contract is pretty huge too

A year shorter than Gils, and the last year is probably going to be just at $10 million. So we save $20 mil worst case, $30 mil best case (and most likely case.) Plus we get the relief a year early.

I honestly doubt we would have gotten better value for Gil. I guess you could wait and hope something turns up but then you're running the risk of something bad happening and being stuck with him through the whole deal.

Man this is a sad day. I knew it had to happen eventually but I never really coped with the thought of losing Arenas before now. It's like having to break up with a girl you really loved because your careers forced you to different places. Now that it's happened it feels like ugh ****, he really is gone now. It's going to ****ing suck seeing him play for the Magic.

I hope I never have to feel this way about John Wall. **** you Cleveland fans, you don't monopolize fan pain.

Edited by stevemcqueen1