Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Add another block to the stat sheet for Sato.  He's going to get a rep.  If you think you beat him to the rim, you better jump stop and pump fake.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sato does all the little things.

Otto's brother from another mother.

I don't get why they didn't foul immediately when we had the ball with 30 seconds left.  Critical mistake by New York.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Add another block to the stat sheet for Sato.  He's going to get a rep.  If you think you beat him to the rim, you better jump stop and pump fake.

Good to see he's picked up some good habits from Wall.  When Wall comes back we'll have the best shot blocking point guards in the league.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Good to see he's picked up some good habits from Wall.  When Wall comes back we'll have the best shot blocking point guards in the league.  

Beal's no slouch either.  So much size and athleticism in our back court.

I'm dreading the second contracts that Sato and Kelly will command.  We're going to be a team of four wings and a point guard and min contract bigs.  But the Wall-Beal-Sato-Otto-Oubre group is so strong that it could work.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Pound for pound, Satoransky is probably Ernie's best pick.

That guy is an NBA starter.

There had been all kinds of positive news about his play in Europe coming out before he finally came over.  The consensus was that he was the best guard outside the NBA.  It was exciting but I was afraid to get my hopes up.  I was having doubts about whether he'd ever come over here at all.

He's been everything we could have hoped for.  2012 will go down as the best class of the decade IMO, and that was a fantastic second round.  Draymond, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, Will Barton, Kyle O'Quinn, and Mike Scott all followed after Sato.

The other great thing about Sato is that, with the emergence of a fluid three ball, he can play beside Wall and sub for Beal and Porter too.  He's going to be our spare man.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Beal's no slouch either.  So much size and athleticism in our back court.

I'm dreading the second contracts that Sato and Kelly will command.  We're going to be a team of four wings and a point guard and min contract bigs.  But the Wall-Beal-Sato-Otto-Oubre group is so strong that it could work.

That's how the game is though.  Teams are winning titles rolling out 3 wings, a quality PF, and a random, interchangeable body at center.  

• Like 2

Me and my honey were spending Valentine's Day watching the game (eat your heart out boys).  At some point during the second quarter we were down by like 25 and we decided this was too much of a depressing way to spend Valentine's Day so we quit watching the game. 

I could NOT believe it when I turned the TV back on with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter!  Holy ****!  What a comeback.  Biggest in the NBA so far this year.  That's how you go into the AS break.       

4 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

We are gonna have to choose between him or Oubre at some point. I think Sato is more valuable. 

Now that I'm removed from the emotional charge of a big win, I actually don't think Kelly is going to command a huge contract if we lock him up early.

He's at 11 PPG on 42, 36, 86 shooting splits with a 12.2 PER.  ORtg and DRtg are both 108.  VORP is .4 and Win Shares /48 is .092.

Every Wizards fan knows the kid is going to be a beast at some point during his second contract, but right now he does not have the history of performance to command a big deal.  I don't think it's crazy to get him at like 10 million a year if we sign him this summer.

Sato is a bit of a different story.  He's got an incredible 127 ORtg (playing most of his minutes at point guard!!) and has a 16 PER.  His WS/48 are .16 and he's got a .7 VORP in just over 800 minutes.  Those are some expensive looking numbers when you combine them with the fact that he's 6'7 and can play all three perimeter positions.

Sato is signfiicantly older than Kelly, so I wouldn't go so far as to say he's definitely going to be more valuable in the long run.  But all signs point to them both being extremely valuable players.

We need to lock them both up for long second contracts this summer.  Role players as good as them are the key to fielding a championship caliber rotation during the Wall/Beal/Porter era.  Sign them, keep our draft picks, and find the next Bam Adebayo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

That's how the game is though.  Teams are winning titles rolling out 3 wings, a quality PF, and a random, interchangeable body at center.  

I feel like the Warriors are the only ones good enough to actually dominate this way.  The Spurs and Rockets both have really good bigs.  The Rockets just seem to get them without spending much money on them.  Clint Capela breaks the game for Houston.  He produces like a max contract center and costs 2.3 million dollars.

We're such a better team on nights when Morris and/or Gortat/Mahinmi give us big production.  Those seem to be the games where we handle the really good teams.  It'd be nice to get players who are good and consistent enough to regular produce at those positions.