Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

At the time I didnt want to do it, but Im starting to regret us not making that trade for Harden...

that looks even more like a HUGE mistake now and I hated it when this story first leaked. It's hard to over state what a colossal mistake passing on an MVP candidate for a guy that absolutely doesn't deserve a max extension. That's like passing on Dirk Nowitzki for Nene Hilario.

That would be the NBA's best back court, instead of possibly the NBAs most over rated back court.

• Like 1

Beal is going to be fine. So is Porter. When they're good, we won't care about Harden.

If one were to dig through this thread, I'm almost certain we could find you saying similar things about McGee & Vesely.

I do think Beal eventually takes that "leap", provided his fragile body holds up. I'm more worried about Otto. The flashes are there, but he still seems entirely too comfortable just blending in.

Edited by StillUnknown

If one were to dig through this thread, I'm almost certain we could find you saying similar things about McGee & Vesely.

And? You could also find a lot of **** where I ended up being right too. You could find a lot of **** for everyone where they were wrong.

And if you did go digging through this thread, I am certain you'd find Gator said he talked to someone in the organization that said Harden informed us he wouldn't sign an extension. The trade rumor that Wizards fans have been obsessing over for three years was never going to happen.

I thought McGee was ruined by a bad front office and bad coaching. I'm not as sure of that now because he doesn't give a damn anymore, but I remember when Ernie told him to go find his own coaches if he wanted to work on his game. That's not something I ever want to hear about when it comes to young players that are still unknown quantities.

Vesely was absolutely screwed by Randy. There is no role player in the league that will succeed when treated to a multi week long dog house for taking a shot the coach didn't like. Everytime he played it was only so the coaches could find some reason to bench him. Randy treated him like he caught the kid sleeping with his daughter. He was never going to be more than just another guy though. He should never have been drafted and most of us knew that before he was the pick.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/03/05/randy-wittman-would-like-the-wizards-to-try-harder/

The problem, he’s saying, isn’t tactics or execution; the problem is his players aren’t trying hard enough. This raises a few possibilities.

1) Wittman is correct that the Wizards aren’t trying hard enough, but he can’t figure out how to make them try harder. That doesn’t seem great.

2) Wittman is incorrect that the Wizards aren’t trying hard enough, and hasn’t identified the team’s actual faults. That doesn’t seem great, either.

3) Wittman is talking about effort because it sounds good, but he doesn’t actually believe that’s the main issue.

The last answer is the most hopeful — that Wittman has diagnosed his team’s real problems in tactics and execution, but would rather just tell the media the problem is effort.

If so, he’s really committed to the bit. Because I just went back and watched a month’s worth of Wittman press conferences, and the lack of effort and hard work has been something of a theme.

“I wish it were a strategy thing,” he said on Wednesday, the day after another loss. “We just take too many plays off.”

much more in the link

Simmons was on 980 with Tony this morning and basically said that just about everyone who knows anything about the league thinks Wittman is an awful coach. By that he means opposing players, coaches, scouts, execs. He thinks the Wiz can make a big leap with a newer more Xs and Os oriented coach.

Wittman sounds like Mike Singletary with the 49ers. A lot of rah rah rah but no real tactical acumen. Or a more apt comparison would be Mark Jackson with Golden State.

• Like 3

J. MichaelVerified account
‏@JMichaelCSN
Porter told me he was supposed to let Snell go. Analytically, they knew that side of floor was his worst spot. #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

‏@JMichaelCSN
Problem giving Snell too much space. Run him off line and he'd miss. Still did but Gortat switch not planned #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

‏@JMichaelCSN
Porter got locked in talking with Temple and Snell got too much separation obviously #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

None of that passes any smell test. There is not a single intelligent basketball thought between Witt & Grunfeld.

So Porter is supposed to let Snell go and guard who?

Just to see if I have this right, Porter let's Snell go and Temple is supposed to pick him up and run him off the three point line? Why wouldn't Porter just stay with him and run him off the three point line?

It makes no sense on any level. Snell ran past the basket with nobody around him. If the ball had been delivered, he would have had an uncontested layup.