Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: five players to watch versus dallas

themurf

banks090910.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Today is one of my favorite days of the year. When the New Orleans Saints take on the Minnesota Vikings, it officially marks the start of the 2010 NFL season.

For fans of the Washington Redskins, it means we’re one day closer to getting answers to some of the vital questions this offseason has brought us.

How much of an upgrade is Mike Shanahan over Jim Zorn? Can Donovan McNabb stay healthy and productive? When will the Albert Haynesworth drama mercifully end?

Those are some of the bigger focal points that the national media seems to be keying in on. For me personally, the plan is to focus my attention on a few lesser publicized areas for the season opener.

In fact, here are the five players who very well may decide the outcome in the season opener:

Trent Williams, offensive lineman – Former Redskins tackle Chris Samuels is on record as saying that Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware was easily the toughest challenge he faced during his career. And Samuels, in case you forgot, was a six-time Pro Bowler. Now we’re talking about Ware lining up against a rookie playing in his first NFL game.

For my money, Williams has looked superb for most of the preseason. He struggled at times against Terrell Suggs in the Baltimore game, but that’s something that happens to a lot of offensive linemen. Same goes for Ware.

Williams is strong. He’s athletic. He’s quickly turning into a film junkie – happily dedicating his free time to watching game film to see what he’s doing right and what he needs to improve upon. Considering a big chunk of the local fanbase would have preferred the Redskins went the safer route by selected offensive lineman Russell Okung with the fourth overall pick, Williams has absolutely exceeded any and all reasonable expectations thus far.

Even if the Redskins help Williams out in the blocking game, he’s still going to have his hands full keeping McNabb’s blindside protected. It’s safe to say that, much like the Redskins, Williams faces a major test right out of the gate. And how he fares will go a long way towards determine he’s team’s fate.

Reed Doughty, safety – Doughty is a nice guy. Doughty is a consummate professional. Doughty is a feel-good story. And yet, the thought of him and LaRon Landry starting at safety against the high-powered Dallas aerial attack scares the hell out of me.

That’s because both players prefer to play near the line of scrimmage. Both players excel near the line of scrimmage. Well, someone is going to have to play centerfield because we all know Dallas isn’t afraid to take shots downfield.

If Kareem Moore was healthy and able to play this weekend, I’d feel a lot better about the Redskins secondary. But with Landry and Doughty in the lineup, two guys who are best suited to essentially fill the same role, it’s a big enough potential pitfall that Jim Haslett better have a trick or two up his sleeve.

His 3-4 defense has been admittedly vanilla throughout the preseason, which is fine. Now is the time to show folks what you’re made of. Coaching careers in Washington are defined by successes and failures against Dallas. If Haslett wants to make a strong first impression, he better be ready.

Click here for full article.

Nice write up murf!

My 5 to watch would be:

1. Portis--Will he go back to being the CP of old or will be the old CP?

2. Cooley--McNabb loves to throw to his TEs and Cooley always has good games against the Cowboys

3. Orakpo--With the Cowboys' OL hurting, can Orakpo out DeMarcus Ware DeMarcus Ware?

4. Rogers--Will he be able to shut down his side of the field and I think he may even get an INT

5. Landry--Will he use his ball hawking skils for good and bait Romo sits to pee into mistakes?

Nice write up murf!

My 5 to watch would be:

1. Portis--Will he go back to being the CP of old or will be the old CP?

2. Cooley--McNabb loves to throw to his TEs and Cooley always has good games against the Cowboys

3. Orakpo--With the Cowboys' OL hurting, can Orakpo out DeMarcus Ware DeMarcus Ware?

4. Rogers--Will he be able to shut down his side of the field and I think he may even get an INT

5. Landry--Will he use his ball hawking skils for good and bait Romo sits to pee into mistakes?

Yeah, it would have been really easy to say McNabb, Haynesworth, Portis and so on. I wanted to dig a little deeper and key in on some areas others might not be paying as much attention, so I thought about guys like Doughty and Kemoeatu. Cheers.

Yeah, it would have been really easy to say McNabb, Haynesworth, Portis and so on. I wanted to dig a little deeper and key in on some areas others might not be paying as much attention, so I thought about guys like Doughty and Kemoeatu. Cheers.

Oh I agree. If we are gonna win, Maake and Reed are going to have to play a big role though! I enjoy reading your stuff so keep up the good work!

Murf, great article as usual. I think you hit it spot on with your first choice in Trent Williams. The entire offense will struggle if he can't handle Ware. I hope the skins are smart enough to chip him with a TE or give him RB help if he struggles.

Also I truly hope we get to see banks out there. The man is just too explosive of a player and I think since he made the roster they will find ways to put him in the game. Suppose the skins are down by 10 in the 4th and the girls are punting. What have you got to lose?

Good read.

A. Carter: Can he hold his own at the OLB position? Dropping back into coverage?

C. Rabach: Struggles at times when facing 3-4 NT. Will he give McNabb room to step up?

Buchanon: I expect to see him in nickle packages covering austin, williams or dez B.

5. Anthony Armstrong: You really don't have to be a guru or expert to figure this out. He will be involved in packages. Hell he said it already in an interview. Can he be what I predicted to one of my boys that's a Cowgirl fan? The next Miles Austin. We'll find out *Sunday, but I think the 2/3 big catches he will have Sunday will determine that.

4. Keiland Williams: Our 3rd back. You have to imagine he will be involved. Can he break a few like he did in preseason? Give us some 3rd and shorts late in the game.

3. Larry Johnson: Didn't show us much in preseason, except one very important thing. He can find the endzone. Find it on Sunday LJ. Please.

2. Phillip Buchanon: Will he be the washed up Smoot? Will he just be...there? Or can he show glimpses of the skills he had back in his days with Tampa? He needs to come up big when he's out there in Nickel packages. A forced fumble or turnover is a must...otherwise he could see one of the younger guys move up on the depth chart.

1. Andre Carter: We know he can pass rush. Not a bad tackler either. What happens when Barber or Jones hits the flat? Does Dallas get easy 15 yard dink and dunks to their RBs all night? This could unfortunately be a huge factor. Can you imagine 3rd downs if he cannot adjust. Zoiks!

Good read.

A. Carter: Can he hold his own at the OLB position? Dropping back into coverage?

C. Rabach: Struggles at times when facing 3-4 NT. Will he give McNabb room to step up?

Nicely done.

Honestly, if I had to pick two more guys, these are the two I would have chosen. Rabach, in particular, appears to have his hands full with Ratliff. The only reason I didn't go with Casey originally is because I already tabbed Trent Williams and didn't want the entire piece to be about the offensive line. But yeah, things could get ugly is Williams and Rabach both struggle.

If the Cowboys are going to be down 2 starting OL, then I would expect Haslett to blitz them and show some very exotic packages to pressure Romo sits to pee. I'd expect his ability to get 5 and 7 step drops will be very limited. I'd be more worried about the OLB's and SS being able to cover the short dumpoff passes.

If the Cowboys are going to be down 2 starting OL, then I would expect Haslett to blitz them and show some very exotic packages to pressure Romo sits to pee. I'd expect his ability to get 5 and 7 step drops will be very limited. I'd be more worried about the OLB's and SS being able to cover the short dumpoff passes.

Put OLBs in flats zones to cover the sideline dumpoffs and Fletch and McIntosh can cover anything down the middle.

Put OLBs in flats zones to cover the sideline dumpoffs and Fletch and McIntosh can cover anything down the middle.

Which limits the pressure that you put upon the QB. If they are going to attack Romo sits to pee, then McIntosh and Fletch may have to be covering considerable space.

Your picks are dead on. Can Williams earn a draw in his first match? We've been teased with the 2 tight end formations all preseason - let's see'em. Keomeatu holds the key to setting Albert free from himself. Brandon Banks needs to go from summer stock player to Broadway quick. And, finally, Doughty is all you said about great guy, great story, etc., but he needs Haslett to let loose the dogs and collapse Romo sits to pee's chances to exploit him. Doughty will "fight his guts out" and give us what we need if the big boys crumple some OL newbies. I am also intrigued by Anthony Armstrong on teams and offense. He needs a few special teams tackles and a couple opportunities in the passing game. It's great that we finally have some new guys, including unheralded guys, to root for. Maybe we'll unearth a gem.

My watch has little to do with a player, but with a position: #2 WR opposite Moss. I can't target a player because after 4 preseason games, I still don't know who that guy will be. Armstrong? Galloway? One of the TEs? It is one thing that has hampered this team for a long time, and it is unknown if it has a solution on this team.

I'll add Andre Carter into the mix as well. Coming off an 11 sack season with his hand in the dirt and then being thrown into a position he struggled with in San Francisco, I hope that he is able to get past his struggles and become a force in his old/new position

I am scared poopless about Kemoeatu. Honestly, he just wasn't very good throughout the preseason... I kept looking for just one play where he penetrated/controlled his point of attack, but all I saw was him getting pushed back every single play. The only good at times was when he would only get pushed back slightly. I don't know, maybe he actually was doing exactly what they wanted and it's just all about lateral movement but I just feel like you're never supposed to get pushed back, even if you're moving laterally.

I hope and pray I'm wrong. That's the one thing I'm really worried about right now. I feel comfortable about everything else, even Trent going up against Ware. Ware might get one or two on him, but the way Trent has played so far has proven to me that the guy is actually going to give Ware more fits than the other way around!

i would add another name to that list even though he isnt a player: jim haslett. the team has come out and said that they didnt give anything away during the preseason. so what kind of looks is he going to bring? just how aggressive is the scheme going to be? if dallas hits some deep balls early due to us leaving the corners on an island is he going to keep bringing the heat or will he back off and play blache defense?

I feel sorry for Reed, actually. I hope Haslett eventually wises up and realizes Reed is a much better player than Landry and better suited for the SS role. Comparing their performances last season proves my point. Reed was making solid, run-stopping plays while Landry was giving his best Superman impression when trying to take down ball-carriers. This doesn't even include Landry's failures in pass protection. Reed also struggles in pass protection, but he also doesn't dive at ball-carriers pretending to be someone he's not(namely Sean Taylor). He tackles like a defender is supposed to, and that's why I prefer him over Landry at SS.

Archived