Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Cowboys eager to see whether Dez dazzles in debut

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9I2MP104.html

09/06/2010

By JAIME ARON / Associated Press

Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant is ready to play his first football game in 51 weeks.

Bryant will be catching passes and perhaps returning punts when the Cowboys open the season Sunday night in Washington.

It will be his first game since last Sept. 19. The layoff was caused by an NCAA suspension that cost him nine games at Oklahoma State last fall and an ankle injury that kept him out of all five preseason games.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips says he expects Bryant to show he belongs in the NFL.

Receivers coach Ray Sherman says Bryant knows the playbook and is very excited. The coach expects one hit and a catch will help welcome him back to real football conditions.

Hasn't played in any pre-season games and they expect this guy to come out balling? :ols: It's funny how they've pumped up this guy to be the second coming of Jerry Rice, but I have a feeling it is going to turn like a Uncle Ben's Rice. It's far few and in between that WRs produce as a rookie. Hopefully LL will save on of those "feet off the ground" launches for the rook.

Guy hasn't played in 51 weeks. Need some on field playing time to get back in the swing of things.

And, he is a rookie WR that hasn't played yet. How well can he truly know the play book?

You are correct.

At this point, we are just hoping he remembers how to run a route tree.

I know he hasn't had any time on the field or with the playbook these past four months so if he doesn't stand there with his thumb in his mouth during plays, we will be happy.

You are correct.

At this point, we are just hoping he remembers how to run a route tree.

I know he hasn't had any time on the field or with the playbook these past four months so if he doesn't stand there with his thumb in his mouth during plays, we will be happy.

Well, Kenny, this is in stark contract to the rest of puke-nation who is expecting huge results from him immediately.

Once again, the back peddling of an over-hyped puke player begins once the bullets start to fly.

Typical.

Well, Kenny, this is in stark contract to the rest of puke-nation who is expecting huge results from him immediately.

Once again, the back peddling of an over-hyped puke player begins once the bullets start to fly.

Typical.

I don't think anyone (well, I'm sure there are a few) thinks Bryant is going to light it up right off the bat. I know I don't. I'm not sure what his numbers will be for the entire season, much less game 1. I think he's very physically talente and I think he will be a very good player, but he's a rookie. You also have to consider that Dallas has quite a few offensive weapons, so they're not going to force feed him the ball.

Archived