Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Letting a pet go- Tribute to my Pitbull Baylee

ljs

11 yrs ago while on patrol, I watched a scroungy mutt ran around for a week, obviously homeless. I never had much want for a pitbull, but somehow was convinced to take in this dog. Even though I didn't want her, it didn't take long for me to adore her.

Through many trials and tribulations, as any pit owner can attest to- we shared a lot of memories. Not all positive- but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Back in March she was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor lingering near her spine. I knew then it may be weeks or months that I had left- and I did the best with it. I loved her like no other, promising her last days would be her best. She's been sleeping on the bed, getting extra treats and even spoiled with bits of people food.

Tonight reality has come true. The tumor tentacles have spread to her nervous system, rendering her blind and pretty much "out of it". Her head is twitching and the seizures could start any time. I took her to the emergency vet, who said I didn't have any more time left, there's nothing more I can do. :(

I can keep her going for a couple more days with some prednisone. Just long enough to drive her to my moms place where I grew up; to the farm where we have several other pets buried. My mom is making arrangements with our vet there to have Baylee put down on Friday.

I'm a wreck- who wouldn't be. Most all of us on ES are dog owners, and you know how this goes. It ****ing sucks.

Baylee was a pit through and through. She was as much of a pain in my ass as she was the sweetest dog I know. She loved kids, but would eat kittens. She loved to swim, chase birds and was one hell of a watch dog. She would bark at bicyclists and motorcycles when going for car rides. She had a deep baritone bark that would scare the **** out of most. She loved to hide toys, and I'm sure there are many hidden in my yard as I type.

I recall asking my vet in March when I would know it was time to let her go. She said, "You'll know." When your dog no longer loves their favorite things, like treats or going for rides. Its true. I looked at her tonight- and can see in her eyes, she is saying "Mom, I love you, but I'm tired."

Nothing I can say will make this any better. Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Sorry to hear that. I lost a 15 yo cat a month ago to cancer. She "Tigger" had been in our lives since the wife and I were dating. I cried way more than the wife did when we had her put down, a few days after she stopped eating and drinking. Buried her in a flower bed that she used to like sleeping in, with a little stature and a solar powered tiki light.

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my dog and best friend Cody just over a month ago at only 9 from multiple tumors. I still have trouble typing this.

It's very evident that Baylee was very lucky to have you in her life. Best wishes to you in this tough time. You are doing the right thing buy giving her the steroids and letting her go.

Someone sent this to me when I lost my beloved Chelsea. I hope this helps you as it did me.

"I Only Wanted You"

They say memories are golden

well maybe that is true.

I never wanted memories,

I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,

a million times I cried.

If love alone could have saved you

you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,

In death I love you still.

In my heart you hold a place

no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway

and heartache make a lane,

I'd walk the path to heaven

and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,

and nothing seems the same.

But as God calls us one by one,

the chain will link again.

Author Unknown

Nothing I can say will make this any better. Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.......

Noooo, not the Rainbow Bridge. Come on, Im at work Capt Kaos! Dude's arent supposed to cry at sappy dog poems at work!

:silly:

Sorry to hear about your dog, ljs. For most of us, dogs are our family. They are our kids. Having a dog pass away is like losing a family member.

Good for you for giving this dog a loving home. Youve done the right thing and reaped the benefits of it by having a awesome dog as your companion.

Have had a lot of pets over the years so I know that look. It sucks. It's one that says it's time to let go. The toughest thing to do with any family member. Last time I got it,(18 years ago),was from a pet that wasn't mine.

I remember when I was "Uncle Jay" to some good friends dogs. Goldens. The bigger one,Nash,developed megaensophagus. Within just a few months he went from 105 to 65 lbs. His mom and dad,(and subsequently I as well),tried everything they could to fight the disease,but nothing worked. One morning,he was lying on the woodburning stove platform,trimbling slightly with his favorite tennis ball beside him,(he had chewed the cover off long before). I walked up to him and kneeled down to see how he was doing. He looked at me right in the eyes as I softly talked to him and his look said it all. I could hear it in my head and ya know,still do. "I'm tired Uncle Jay and it's time." He was right. Time to let him go. I nearly broke down,but held it together for him and told him I loved him. His mom and dad were talking in the other room,about what to do with him coincidentally enough,and I joined them there. I shared what had just happened and they went to see him as well. I was with him a few hours later when the vet put him down there at the house,(mistake). I still have that ball on my desk.

Sorry to hear this LJS I know it hurts. Remember all those good times with your dog and cherish them.

Have had a lot of pets over the years so I know that look. It sucks. It's one that says it's time to let go. The toughest thing to do with any family member. Last time I got it,(18 years ago),was from a pet that wasn't mine.

I remember when I was "Uncle Jay" to some good friends dogs. Goldens. The bigger one,Nash,developed megaensophagus. Within just a few months he went from 105 to 65 lbs. His mom and dad,(and subsequently I as well),tried everything they could to fight the disease,but nothing worked. One morning,he was lying on the woodburning stove platform,trimbling slightly with his favorite tennis ball beside him,(he had chewed the cover off long before). I walked up to him and kneeled down to see how he was doing. He looked at me right in the eyes as I softly talked to him and his look said it all. I could hear it in my head and ya know,still do. "I'm tired Uncle Jay and it's time." He was right. Time to let him go. I nearly broke down,but held it together for him and told him I loved him. His mom and dad were talking in the other room,about what to do with him coincidentally enough,and I joined them there. I shared what had just happened and they went to see him as well. I was with him a few hours later when the vet put him down there at the house,(mistake). I still have that ball on my desk.

Sorry to hear this LJS I know it hurts. Remember all those good times with your dog and cherish them.

Wow, very touching story and sort of hard to read. I'm working from home today (on crutches) I hobbled over to my Calli and gave her a hug. Hope I don't see that look for a long time.

Do you have any pics of your pup LJS? Don't know if it would be too hard for you to post or if you want to.

Archived