Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley: Cowboys-Texans: What did we learn?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/17490/cowboys-texans-what-did-we-learn

If this was truly a dress rehearsal for the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday evening, Redskins fans have to be licking their chops for Sept. 12. The Cowboys' first-team offense was once again whipped by an AFC defense. And the defense wasn't much better. The Colts don't get worried about pitiful preseason performances because of their winning pedigree. I'm afraid Cowboys fans won't take the same laidback approach. Now let's assess the damage:

* It looked like the Cowboys' offensive line hadn't seen a stunt all preseason. On the first sack of Tony Romo sits to pee, Texans defensive end Mario Williams came racing up the middle and Andre Gurode appeared to be shocked by his arrival.

* Both Bradie James and Mike Jenkins did a nice job diagnosing plays early in the game, but Jenkins has to do a better job wrapping up. That's what Darren Woodson was really worried about with this group. Would they be able to tackle? Jenkins looked bad early in the game. Then Alan Ball started missing tackles.

* The Dallas Cowboys are praying that Dez Bryant will someday be like Andre Johnson. ( :rotflmao: ) Matt Schaub has the luxury of being able to deliver the ball even when Johnson is closely covered. Johnson caught one ball on the first drive with Terence Newman all over him and then dragged him another 5 yards.

* Jason Witten had no chance against defensive end Antonio Smith. Witten was overwhelmed by Smith when the Cowboys tried to run the ball to the left side. The Cowboys' running game has been bad throughout the preseason. I did like the draw play to Felix Jones on the second drive of the game. Right tackle Alex Barron did a really nice job sealing his man on that play. On the next play, Miles Austin had a bad drop in the left flat.

* Andre Gurode may have jump-started Amobi Okoye's dormant career in the first quarter. The Texans' former first-round pick raced around Gurode to sack Tony Romo sits to pee. It looked like Gurode was in decent position and then he just watched Okoye run past him. Romo sits to pee doesn't have any time to survey the field.

* Missed the memo on former Tennessee Volunteer Arian Foster being such a wonderful running back. In the first quarter, DeMarcus Ware got pancaked by a tight end when Foster took off on an 18-yard run. Cowboys free safety Alan Ball whiffed on Foster in the open field. On the same drive, the Cowboys were completely fooled in coverage when Matt Schaub rolled right and then threw back across the field to Jacoby Jones. It looked like Ball was the player who was fooled on the touchdown.

* The Cowboys have to do a better job of knowing down and distance on defense. Cornerback Orlando Scandrick was giving Jacoby Jones way too much cushion on a third-and-6 play. There was no mystery where Jones was going with that route. On the next route, the Cowboys did the same thing on third-and-7. You think it might be a good idea to cover Andre Johnson on a crossing route? Johnson was the best player on the field Saturday.

* Did anyone else see defensive end Igor Olshansky getting blown off the ball in the first half? That's supposed to be the strength of Olshansky's game, but he was on his heels every time I watched.

* Scandrick simply has no chance against Andre Johnson. The Texans receiver is too physical for Scandrick. Former Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has promised Santana Moss that he'll be able to do a lot of the same things as Johnson in the Skins' offense.

* Wade Phillips finally lost his temper after an Arian Foster run early in the second half. Looked like he was especially upset with Jason Williams and safety Michael Hamlin on the play. Both players took poor angles to Foster and ended up chasing him from behind.

* With 11:47 left in the third quarter, Phil Simms says the Cowboys don't appear to be motivated for this game. You think? What a weak little attempt at a tackle by safety Pat Watkins on Jeremiah Johnson's long run.

* On Foster's touchdown run early in the second half, Cowboys linebacker Victor Butler was driven into the end zone and never came close to making a play. Dallas had no interest in playing this game. How much should that concern Cowboys fans?

* The Texans were double-teaming Jay Ratliff and Bradie James was overpursuing against the run. Foster just burned them all night. Simms makes a statement with 5 minutes left in the third quarter that the Cowboys are playing a lot of reserves. I looked up and saw DeMarcus Ware, Ratliff, Anthony Spencer and James all in the game. Second consecutive disgraceful performance for the Cowboys. We'll see if they can flip the switch against the Redskins.

I wish i was reading this on 9/13

There's a good chance you will be.

There are no jobs on the line for the pukes...and, they're playing like it. For an entire off-season, they've read they will automatically go to the SB, and they've played an entire off-season with little motivation.

The pukes defense is actually worse than I thought it was going to be. Look for big runs and huge pass plays to be pulled off against them consistently.

Oh, and that running game looks a lot like Philly's...:ols:

The more folks see pressure rattles Romo sits to pee, the more he's going to get.

Look at the Minny game from last year.

But, you puke fans keep hoping...cause, that's about all you've got.

I wonder around which week cowboys fans like Mosely are going to run out of excuses. It's all going down hill week 1.

'Vanilla' and 'no gameplan' are great excuses when there is NO execution...and, a huge drop off in talent this year.

When Brookings doesn't play, the pukes defense sucks badly.

Look for a lot of players who didn't get much playing time in pre-season to look pretty rusty their first couple of games.

When the eternal optimist Mosley starts sounding worried, things must be bad in cowboy land. Has anyone noticed that he spent most of his time at Cowboys camp both locations and only one day each at the rest of the NFCE's camps? Also he has recapped all the rest of the NFCE's games but for some reason has been unable to do so for the Redskins? I'm starting to get that

"WE WANT dallas Feeling again :)

Any Dallass fan who is still repeating the "It's only preseason, I'm not worried" mantra is flat out lying.

NO way they can feel good about the consistent lack of execution.

Yep. If they were executing the plays properly, but note gaining yardage or scoring, the "it's just preseason" talk would be reasonable. But not be able to protect Romo sits to pee or move the ball much, not being able to stop anyone can't be chalked up to only preseason.

Article from the Star Telegram:

Cowboys notes: Offense had numerous misfires

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/08/29/2431163/cowboys-notes-offense-had-numerous.html

HOUSTON — The best thing about Saturday night was it didn't count.

The Cowboys’ dress rehearsal didn't go as planned, especially for the first-team offense. There were two fumbles by the first-team offense, one lost. There was a red-zone interception. The running game was non-existent. Miles Austin had a drop. Jason Witten had a false start. Andre Gurode had a false start. The offensive line allowed two sacks. There was miscommunication, missed plays and missed chances.

The Cowboys looked like not-ready-for-prime-time players.

The first-team offense, which played one series into the third quarter, produced 11 first downs and 135 total yards — 127 passing and 8 rushing.

The Texans led 23-0 when the first-team offense left the game.

"We just need to do better," Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. "We just need to execute better and play better and go from there."

Tony Romo sits to pee was 13-for-18 for 146 yards with one interception and a 72.9 passer rating. Romo sits to pee said his back was hurting him last week, but that he felt good this week.

"We have to execute," Romo sits to pee said. "We are not executing things the way we could be."

To that end, the starters will play in the final preseason game against the Dolphins on Thursday.

"I think it's important to have a good feeling," Garrett said. "Typically we've played a series, sometimes we haven't played a series [in the final preseason game]. We need to get in some good offensive rhythm and feel good about how we're playing."

When the eternal optimist Mosley starts sounding worried, things must be bad in cowboy land. Has anyone noticed that he spent most of his time at Cowboys camp both locations and only one day each at the rest of the NFCE's camps? Also he has recapped all the rest of the NFCE's games but for some reason has been unable to do so for the Redskins? I'm starting to get that

"WE WANT dallas Feeling again :)

Mosley is biased like nobody's business. He just copy/paste's from other sources when it concerns the Redskins. Only time he has his own opinion about the Redskins over there is when it concerns Haynesworth. Maybe four teams is too many for him to handle, who knows. He is a Baylor grad after all. That blog oughta go to somebody a little more objective and a little less invested in one team or the other.

Coaches ponder using starters in finale

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallascowboys/post/_/id/4671386/coaches-considering-playing-starters-in-preseason-finale?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

HOUSTON -- The Cowboys planned to sit the starters during Thursday’s preseason finale.

The coaching staff is reconsidering after watching the first team stink up Reliant Stadium in Saturday’s 23-7 loss to the Houston Texans. If this was the dress rehearsal, the play is destined to be a dud.

“We’ll look at it and see,” Wade Phillips said regarding whether the starters would play Thursday night against the Miami Dolphins. “They were some individuals who did some good things, but we’ll have to evaluate that. I’m not ruling out that we won’t play our guys more next week.”

It might be easier to shrug off this poor performance as meaningless if it was a continuation of what we saw last week in San Diego.

The Cowboys’ starters played four full quarters against the Chargers and Houston. They were outscored by a 20-7 margin, but that doesn’t indicate how badly they were outplayed. Total yardage in those two halves: Opponents 434, Cowboys 145.

* Jason Witten had no chance against defensive end Antonio Smith. Witten was overwhelmed by Smith when the Cowboys tried to run the ball to the left side.

That's just outstanding news for Haynesworth and Orakpo...they ought to be licking their chops come September 12. Haslett's going to make the Cowboys line look about as solid as a bowl full of jello.

Coaches ponder using starters in finale

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallascowboys/post/_/id/4671386/coaches-considering-playing-starters-in-preseason-finale?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

HOUSTON -- The Cowboys planned to sit the starters during Thursday’s preseason finale.

The coaching staff is reconsidering after watching the first team stink up Reliant Stadium in Saturday’s 23-7 loss to the Houston Texans. If this was the dress rehearsal, the play is destined to be a dud.

“We’ll look at it and see,” Wade Phillips said regarding whether the starters would play Thursday night against the Miami Dolphins. “They were some individuals who did some good things, but we’ll have to evaluate that. I’m not ruling out that we won’t play our guys more next week.”

It might be easier to shrug off this poor performance as meaningless if it was a continuation of what we saw last week in San Diego.

The Cowboys’ starters played four full quarters against the Chargers and Houston. They were outscored by a 20-7 margin, but that doesn’t indicate how badly they were outplayed. Total yardage in those two halves: Opponents 434, Cowboys 145.

Good. Have them play their starters. Camp Cupcake is reaping the rewards of going easy on the players, and it'll show in the regular season.

That was absolutely pathetic. They were crashing into each other on offense. The Cowboys look like they accomplished nothing in training camp and preseason. Its going to take at least a few games in the regular season to get the timing and assignments down.

But I still can't completely write off the entire 2010 season yet.

There's a good chance you will be.

There are no jobs on the line for the pukes...and, they're playing like it. For an entire off-season, they've read they will automatically go to the SB, and they've played an entire off-season with little motivation.

The pukes defense is actually worse than I thought it was going to be. Look for big runs and huge pass plays to be pulled off against them consistently.

Oh, and that running game looks a lot like Philly's...:ols:

The more folks see pressure rattles Romo sits to pee, the more he's going to get.

Look at the Minny game from last year.

But, you puke fans keep hoping...cause, that's about all you've got.

While we're on the subject of job security, how is the social security coming along for your starters?

Well, that settles it...

We have officially forgotten how to play football and our defense has had so many changes on it that we are going to be a sieve this season. No doubt about it. The loss of Ken Hamlin cannot be understated.

Our second team d was not able to shut down the Texans' first string offense there in the third quarter which is a pretty good indicator of what they will do in the 3 week of the season. I know which team I'm betting on that day.

Our offense has similarly forgotten how to play and they always tear up the preseason and never flip a switch come opening day. The vaunted Redskins are waiting for week 1 and we might as well mail it in at this point. It seems obvious to anyone who has watched this game for any amount of time, that if your team is not doing it by this point in the preseason, they are not going to do it.

The loss of Flo Adams cannot be understated either. Doug Free has been a revolving door at LT, it is just a matter of time before that comes back to haunt us. With Kosier and Columbo out for the year, it is clear that our Line is going to struggle mightily this season.

Dez Bryant is just a rookie, we will be lucky if he is able to put one foot in front of the other on game day.

Romo sits to pee clearly played too much golf this offseason, he will revert to Tony Turnover with that line in front of him.

I predict 5 punts hitting the scoreboard this year and the NFL stepping in and stripping Jerry Jones of his duties in Dallas because he was not able to see this obvious fatal flaw in the design of the money pit.

Dallas is destined for last this year in the NFC east.

Signed,

ExtremeSkinsFans

This stat in itself is kind of sad. Even the skins never played their starters this long when they were getting their butt wiped in previous preseasons.

How do you evaluate all the players on the roster if they don't see action in a preseason game? Nothing like live action.

Have the pukes fallen that far? I guess we will have to wait and see.

That was absolutely pathetic. They were crashing into each other on offense. The Cowboys look like they accomplished nothing in training camp and preseason. Its going to take at least a few games in the regular season to get the timing and assignments down.

But I still can't completely write off the entire 2010 season yet.

Honest Cowboy fan, good to see.

Well, that settles it...

We have officially forgotten how to play football and our defense has had so many changes on it that we are going to be a sieve this season. No doubt about it. The loss of Ken Hamlin cannot be understated.

Our second team d was not able to shut down the Texans' first string offense there in the third quarter which is a pretty good indicator of what they will do in the 3 week of the season. I know which team I'm betting on that day.

Our offense has similarly forgotten how to play and they always tear up the preseason and never flip a switch come opening day. The vaunted Redskins are waiting for week 1 and we might as well mail it in at this point. It seems obvious to anyone who has watched this game for any amount of time, that if your team is not doing it by this point in the preseason, they are not going to do it.

The loss of Flo Adams cannot be understated either. Doug Free has been a revolving door at LT, it is just a matter of time before that comes back to haunt us. With Kosier and Columbo out for the year, it is clear that our Line is going to struggle mightily this season.

Dez Bryant is just a rookie, we will be lucky if he is able to put one foot in front of the other on game day.

Romo sits to pee clearly played too much golf this offseason, he will revert to Tony Turnover with that line in front of him.

I predict 5 punts hitting the scoreboard this year and the NFL stepping in and stripping Jerry Jones of his duties in Dallas because he was not able to see this obvious fatal flaw in the design of the money pit.

Dallas is destined for last this year in the NFC east.

Signed,

ExtremeSkinsFans

That's on helluva deflection from the topic, Ken! Nice use of Straw Man arguments, too. Kudos!! :applause:

This stat in itself is kind of sad. Even the skins never played their starters this long when they were getting their butt wiped in previous preseasons.

How do you evaluate all the players on the roster if they don't see action in a preseason game? Nothing like live action.

Have the pukes fallen that far? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Clearly they have.

The turnover in personnel has caused this team to forget how to compete here in the preseason.

I hope when they make it to the game check portion of the season that they remember..

That's on helluva deflection from the topic, Ken! Nice use of Straw Man arguments, too. Kudos!! :applause:

Just trying to put this in perspective.

I can keep up with all of the posts I'm going to have to bump up later on.

Archived