Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley: Cowboys-Texans: What did we learn?

Lemme just add this because I think you're missing the point. Shanahan made his team. Tom Coughlin made his team. Joe Gibbs, both times, made his team. Wade had his team already made for him. He might have tweaked the defense a little, but he hasn't added anything substantial to that squad. Not personell, not leadership, not much to speak of at all. He's sitting in Parcells' hot rod with the cruise control engaged. Lucky for the rest of us that Parcells ducked outta here. As much mess as I talked about him, his eye for talent and his ability to fit guys together is uncanny. He's like a master chef when it comes to building a good NFL team.

So while Shanahan may not have done a whole lot recently, don't discount the fact that he built Denver into a Super Bowl winning team. He's now got a fresh start after being able to step back a year and reflect on everything. He's come back with renewed focus and energy. This time he doesn't have to run the offense himself, and he got to hand pick his defensive coordinator.

You can doubt him all you want, of course, but to put Wade "I'm just along for the ride" Phillips ahead of him because of the Cowboys' recent success is pretty stupid if you ask me. Wade hasn't made any sort of case that he's a quality head coach. Most Cowboys fans outside of the internet agree with me. I promise you.

There are few coaches that are a better fit for THIS cowboys team RIGHT NOW than Wade Phillips. We have our offensive coordinator but our defense was our Achilles heel. Phillips now has that defense playing the way it needs to, he is cultivating talent out of it,and it is the difference maker in our division, imo.

To say he hasn't brought anyone in or added any leadership is not correct. He personally went out and got Brooking here for PRECISELY that reason....leadership. He has been a brilliant add and was a big reason why the defense took a step forward last year. Don't forget about HIS decision to bring in Igor Olshansky at a song for the waaaay OVERPRICED Chris Canty. That move alone should tell you what Phillips has done for Dallas.

While I agree, Parcells brought in a bunch of the significant cogs on Dallas Right now, the fact still remains that he never won more than 10 games in Dallas. It was Phillips that took that consecutive season 9-7 squad and turned them into a 13-3 juggernaut until they met the buzz saw known as the NYFG. Phillips in three full season in Dallas is 13-3, 9-7, and 11-5 (after retooling). He is poised to have another good season this year.

Phillips drafted a developed a pro bowl corner at CB in Jenkins, drafted and developed Spencer (who could make a pro bowl run this year) as well. There are a few young lbs and dl that are going to be very good players here very quickly because of his eye for defensive talent. This is not to mention a guy like Alan Ball who could be a ball hawking cover safety that he developed. Let's also not forget that Ware, Ratliff, and Bradie James have all had their best seasons under Phillips!

There are few coaches that are a better fit for THIS cowboys team RIGHT NOW than Wade Phillips. We have our offensive coordinator but our defense was our Achilles heel. Phillips now has that defense playing the way it needs to, he is cultivating talent out of it,and it is the difference maker in our division, imo.

To say he hasn't brought anyone in or added any leadership is not correct. He personally went out and got Brooking here for PRECISELY that reason....leadership. He has been a brilliant add and was a big reason why the defense took a step forward last year. Don't forget about HIS decision to bring in Igor Olshansky at a song for the waaaay OVERPRICED Chris Canty. That move alone should tell you what Phillips has done for Dallas.

While I agree, Parcells brought in a bunch of the significant cogs on Dallas Right now, the fact still remains that he never won more than 10 games in Dallas. It was Phillips that took that consecutive season 9-7 squad and turned them into a 13-3 juggernaut until they met the buzz saw known as the NYFG. Phillips in three full season in Dallas is 13-3, 9-7, and 11-5 (after retooling). He is poised to have another good season this year.

Phillips drafted a developed a pro bowl corner at CB in Jenkins, drafted and developed Spencer (who could make a pro bowl run this year) as well. There are a few young lbs and dl that are going to be very good players here very quickly because of his eye for defensive talent. This is not to mention a guy like Alan Ball who could be a ball hawking cover safety that he developed. Let's also not forget that Ware, Ratliff, and Bradie James have all had their best seasons under Phillips!

One of the more fluff filled posts I've ever seen you post. I'm not even gonna argue any of the specifics with you.

So in your mind, do any of your points justify the notion that Wade is in fact a better HC than Shanahan? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I wanna see you post it.

One of the more fluff filled posts I've ever seen you post. I'm not even gonna argue any of the specifics with you.

So in your mind, do any of your points justify the notion that Wade is in fact a better HC than Shanahan? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I wanna see you post it.

Please point out where the fluff is....

No, I agree, it is ludicrous to say that Phillips is a better coach than Shanny. However, I would take Phillips over Shanny for THIS DALLAS team this year. Long term, Shanny.

Our personell and Defense are the main reasons why. I don't think our OL are a good fit with Shanny's style of offense and I don't know of a better defensive Coordinator we could get with him. I know it isn't Haslett....

OK, so Elway didn't have success in the Super Bowl without TD. Elway MADE the Super Bowl without TD under Shanahan. Elway DIDN'T make the Super Bowl under Phillips.

/argument

\argument

What exactly are you talking about? Please explain when and where this figment of your imagination happened.

Thank you.

Please point out where the fluff is....

No, I agree, it is ludicrous to say that Phillips is a better coach than Shanny. However, I would take Phillips over Shanny for THIS DALLAS team this year. Long term, Shanny.

Our personell and Defense are the main reasons why. I don't think our OL are a good fit with Shanny's style of offense and I don't know of a better defensive Coordinator we could get with him. I know it isn't Haslett....

Alright. I can agree with you on that. I do think Wade is a talented D coordinator. Haslett will have to prove himself to me.

I'm actually kind of in shock in that you didn't go all in for Wade.

Alright. I can agree with you on that. I do think Wade is a talented D coordinator. Haslett will have to prove himself to me.

I'm actually kind of in shock in that you didn't go all in for Wade.

Come on now, I call it like i see it. I always have. Sometimes it seems to have a homer tint to it, but most of those times I'm right too.

:)

If this question would have been posed to me this time last year, I probably wouldn't answer it the way I just did. Phillips showed a lot last year and does have a different swagger about him this year. I guess it has a lot to do with getting the playoff monkey off his back and having more of his stamp on the team. There is a noticeable difference in him this year....

• 2 weeks later...
Phillips showed a lot last year and does have a different swagger about him this year. I guess it has a lot to do with getting the playoff monkey off his back and having more of his stamp on the team. There is a noticeable difference in him this year....

Swagger?...I think the word you wanted here was "waddle".

Archived