Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's improved more Pass protection or Santana Moss?

NoCalMike

I think it is kind of obvious what is better. We have longer than a second to throw the ball. This was the problem the last season and a half. Now we have much better pass pro and in addition to that we have 2 QB's on the roster that make quick decisions.

I've been saying this since last season, that if we had a QB that had a quick release and made quick decisions, that our passing game would look better. Jason campbell always seemed to doubt himself. Even when he had time to pass he missed wide open receivers and opted to check down.

Our run blocking hasn't looked so good, but I do like our pass blocking; the only times they actually got pressure was when they sent more blitzers than we had blockers. Moss has always been a quality WR; even though I was a JC guy during his time here, one thing I'll gladly concede is that, aside from early 2008 (42 catches, 658 yards, 5 TDs thru 8 games), while he had good chemistry with ARE, Cooley, Davis, and was starting to click with Thomas, he never really clicked with Moss. Yet, despite questinable scheme/playcalling, poor Oline play, and inconsistent QB play, Moss still had over 900 yards last year.

I know running the ball and stopping the run sounds cliche..but those look like two glaring problems so far. O line does not create a new line of scrimmage and gets blown up, pushed back, running lanes are caved in an clogged...and the D looks soft against the run, they get sealed off, over pursue look stiff, and get pushed around.

But pass protect/picking up the blits has looked pretty good and the best I've seen in this Jets game thus far. Moss is Moss...a burner, good in space, has the moves, can adjust to the ball..if he had more consistent hands he'd be top 20. Love the guy.

Also what the above poster said, good QB play can make the Oline/receivers better as well.

He finally has a pair of QB's who can get him the ball. Santana is the same player he's always been.... just better QB play.

Again some of the credit NEEDS to go to the damn coaching staff. Look at when Moss is outside yes he makes some plays but go back and please watch all of his big plays....where was he positioned? THE SLOT! It is the line, qb play, he is looking sharper and faster but I think the reasons he is has to be because he is finally playing where he belongs for his skill set and that is in the slot.

I thought Moss was taking plays off last year. It may have been due to the fact that he was getting doubled with frequency (he was the only legit receiver). It may have been because the running backs and tight ends saw many more balls thrown their way than he saw. I dunno what the real reason was but Moss and Portis seem much more intense this year.

Archived