Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An 18 Game Regular Season?

Woofer

18 games would be fine. The starters already play approximately six quarters in the preseason, so two more would be two games. The USFL did it. Some of the USFLers played the entire USFL season which ended in late June and jumped right into NFL training camps and played an entire season. These guys train year round now, so they could handle it. Expand the regular season and add a playoff team. I like it! BTW, we would be a big fat 1-0 right now!!!!!

From a fan's point of view, I rather pay full price for regular season games, then full price for exhibition games.

We usually don't have 70K a game though. Less people, less beer and food sales. More money for the owners and makes the fans happier. Why not?

Originally posted by SlinginSammy

If they did away with preseason they'd need some more intense scrimmages at camp otherwise everyone would look pretty rusty.

Thats the key, scrimmages are not games. If you have ever played football before there is a big difference in the two. What the coaches need to do is tell there star QB's to just throw the ball away. Don't try to make something great during a preseason game.

Originally posted by Blondie

18 games.

The players would be worn out by the time the playoffs rolled around. I realize there are 4 preseason games.....but they only play awhile......then get to rest. Those 2 extra games sure would work on their bodies.

Blondie

I have often joked that the number of games per season should be doubled. The two teams with the best record and who can still put 11 men on the field play the superbowl.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of extending the regular season? The main reason that I hear is that there are too many preseason injuries. But if we extend the regular season, then theoretically, wont we have these same injuries and probably more since the players are playing the whole game instead of just segments? Until I see a good reason why they should be extended, I'd be against a longer regular season.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

You guys also forgot the owners. The owners like getting the proceeds from the exhibition games and not having to share the profits with the players. Last night was a record 70,000+ at Fed-ex field. Although I would like to see an 18 game schedule, if they add 2 games, the players union will want their share of the pie. :(

If we are paying full price for something, we should be getting the best we can buy. Why have only 70,000 when you could have 86,000? Yeah, revenue is great for the owners. But if you ask me, they don't realize the potential that is there with two more games.

The teams would be spent if their were two more games. It is hard enough to be fresh when the playoffs come. The preseason is not that bad. They starters maybe play 1 game max out of 4. They just need to throw the ball away. I think the schedule is fine, I do like the extra wild card though. It is wierd this year the Superbowl is in February, if we add 2 games then we would games around valentines day, then everything will be under snow :)

Expand to 18 games. Limit preseason to 2 games and as many scrimmages as teams need. Expand the league to 40 teams. So the schedule would be.

8 games in division

5 games against 1 same conference division.

5 games against 1 other conference division.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Expand to 18 games. Limit preseason to 2 games and as many scrimmages as teams need. Expand the league to 40 teams. So the schedule would be.

8 games in division

5 games against 1 same conference division.

5 games against 1 other conference division.

Kilmer 2 preseason games are not enough. The league needs to follow what the MLB and NBA and NHL did not do, they all over expanded. There isn't enough talent right now for more teams in the NFL. We don't want to downgrade the talent like the other leagues have done. Scrimmages are not games, not even close.

I''m totally for making the last 2 pre-season games reg season..

only 2 pre-season games are needed..by the 3rd virtually all the players are decided..

the 3rd pre-season has usually been the measuring stick for success..

adding 2 more games doesn't hurt anyhting..Players are already going odwn wnaywya..might asa well make it count for something..

The NFL season is already to short if you ask me.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

I dont want to expand all 8 at once. Rather, 2 every other year starting in 05 with LA and Birmingham. There wont be any more of talent dropoof then there was when they added the Panthers and Jags or Browns/Texans.

I disagree. There are not enough quality DT's to go around as well as other positions. Espically with all the injuries now. You need 2 good quality qb's and rb's now. The leage is good now.

If they do expand make it once every 5 years. This gives time for the talent to develop. I don't want to see a team for of outcasts and rookies. That will remind me of the Detroit Tigers, where maybe they have 3 quality MLB players and the rest are all minor league material.

Archived