Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: Chris Hanburger Finally Inching Toward Canton

Larry Brown #43

Chris Hanburger Finally Inching Toward Canton

Posted Aug 25th 2010 2:36PM by Matt Terl

Russ Grimm's enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame early this summer was primarily a joyous occasion. If there was one small underlying unhappy element, it was that Grimm was likely to stand for all of the Hogs in Canton, and that -- in fact -- there was no immediately obvious next Redskin to enshrine.

But one of the names that was brought up was Chris Hanburger's. "We need Chris Hanburger in the Hall of Fame," Redskins owner Daniel Snyder said, according to the Washington Post, before enumerating a few of Hanburger's accomplishments: "Nine Pro Bowls, defensive MVP of the NFL...."

http://blog.redskins.com/2010/08/25/chris-hanburger-finally-inching-toward-canton/

Click link above for full blog entry.

This is tremendous news. It's an egregious oversight that Hanburger is not in. Hopefully that changes in 2011.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade - I'd love to see another 'skin in

BUT

Who's to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gradishar Randy Gradishar doesn't get in instead - it's a pretty close call - either as a regular HOFer or via the veteran's committee

I'll admit I've seen neither of them play, not footage, nothing - it's pretty darn close and Gradishar was bigger, hit harder and despite playing 4 fewer years has almost the same honors

What do people think?

Who's to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gradishar Randy Gradishar doesn't get in instead - it's a pretty close call - either as a regular HOFer or via the veteran's committee

I'll admit I've seen neither of them play, not footage, nothing - it's pretty darn close and Gradishar was bigger, hit harder and despite playing 4 fewer years has almost the same honors

What do people think?

I don't see why they couldn't both be in. I assume both could be selected by the veterans' committee? How any player at any position with nine Pro Bowls on his resume could be excluded makes no sense to me. There are guys in Canton who didn't even PLAY for nine years, let alone play in nine Pro Bowls.

Be nice for another Skin to get in. Wish Chris all the best and hopefully Jake and B Mitch get some mention as well though could be another tough year with guys like Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders as gimmee 1st balloters and then holdovers like Cris Carter, Dermonti Dawson and Shannon Sharpe who have been shafted but good luck to Chris Hanburger

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade - I'd love to see another 'skin in

BUT

What do people think?

55(ch), 66(jj), 84(gc). i wasnt "pushing" (like i have a vote) clark before, and after watching some classic games, i am convinced i was wrong not too. those 3 should get in, the first 2 sooner.

not to say the other fellow wont/shoudnt get in... still odd some guys have gotten in waaaay before they should have. i dont think howie long should be in before chris, or randy g.

55(ch), 66(jj), 84(gc). i wasnt "pushing" (like i have a vote) clark before, and after watching some classic games, i am convinced i was wrong not too. those 3 should get in, the first 2 sooner.

not to say the other fellow wont/shoudnt get in... still odd some guys have gotten in waaaay before they should have. i dont think howie long should be in before chris, or randy g.

Agree 100%. Its amazing what changing Cerrato to Allen has done for the skins in the NFL.

Like my boy Agassi says: "Image is everything"

Absolutely awesome. I lived in his neighborhood when I was a kid. Was a very Stoic but nice man. I donated to a website to get him in the HOF, so I'm very happy for him, I'm sure he'll make it in.

I also lived in his neighborhood when I was a kid. I lived two doors down from the Hanburger's, on Kingsfield Court. I bet I know you!

I am very happy to see Chris finally get this recognition. Good luck, Chris!! HTTR.

He will be looked at by a different group but it is LONG overdue. If he finally gets in I will make my first trip to the HALL. That would be awesome. Watching Art and Darrell get in on TV was still a magical moment. Recognition of Chris would rival Art's four minute ovation. He was really special to those of who watched him play. Don't forget Larry Brown either. What a courageous dude. Hail Skins

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Hanburger_Named_a_Finalist_For_Hall_of_Fame_146595.jsp

Redskins great Chris Hanburger, a standout linebacker from 1965-78, has been named a senior nominee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Hanburger, who earned a franchise-best nine Pro Bowl nods, joined former Los Angeles Rams linebacker Les Richter as 2011 Seniors Committee nominees.

Hanburger, 59, has long been regarded as one of the more overlooked players not to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

“I’m thrilled to death and I appreciate it very, very much,” commented Hanburger when contacted by Hall of Fame officials following the nomination meeting.

Hanburger joined the Redskins as an 18th-round draft pick in the 1965 NFL Draft.

In 14 seasons, Hanburger earned first-team All-NFL acclaim four times from 1972-76 and was also named All-Eastern Conference in 1968-69 and All-NFC six times from 1970-76.

Hanburger was a defensive leader through most of the 1970s under head coach George Allen. He helped lead the Redskins to a Super Bowl VII berth in 1972.

Hanburger’s 14 years as a Redskin ties him for the third-longest tenure of service in franchise history.

He played in 187 career games, with 149 starts, and recorded 19 career interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns. He also returned three fumbles for touchdowns in his career.

He was named one of the 70 Greatest Redskins to help commemorate the franchise’s 70th anniversary in 2002.

Hanburger was born in Fort Bragg, N.C., and played college football at North Carolina.

The Seniors Committee is comprised of nine members of the overall selection committee. Through mail vote, the 2011 senior nominees were reduced to a final list of candidates that included 16 nominees.

On Wednesday, five members of the Seniors Committee met in Canton to discuss the merits of the finalists. The group was joined by two Hall of Fame members, linebacker Jack Ham and tight end Charlie Sanders, who served as consultants in the process but did not vote.

Hanburger and Richter will join 15 still-to-be-determined modern-era candidates on the list of finalists for the Class of 2011.

The Hall of Fame selection meeting will be held on Feb. 5, 2011, the day before Super Bowl XLV in North Texas. To be elected, Hanburger and Richter must receive the same 80 percent voting support that is required of all finalists.

The Hall’s Selection Committee can elect a maximum of two senior candidates and five modern-era candidates for a class no smaller than four or larger than seven during next February’s meeting.

Archived