Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't a QB call his own plays?

Elessar78

I'd say Head Coaches and Offensive Coordinators have a more clear perspective on the game. They see what's going on and have a plan in place for what to do in each situation. QBs on the other hand would probably be too spur of the moment in their decision making and let the heat of the game cloud their judgment.

This is false. I played a Redskins dynasty on Madden where I was just running drafts, doing the GM thing. And I drafted great players dammit! Years into the dynasty, Peyton Manning had retired and I hired him as the Redskins head coach. Consecutive 6-10 seasons. I had to fire the guy. He just wasn't getting the most out of the players. We had a roster that was super bowl worthy on paper.

Vinny? Is that you? :pfft:

I'd say Head Coaches and Offensive Coordinators have a more clear perspective on the game. They see what's going on and have a plan in place for what to do in each situation. QBs on the other hand would probably be too spur of the moment in their decision making and let the heat of the game cloud their judgment.

So why did it work until the mid 80s?

I have a theory. Coaches started making hundreds of thousands of dollars. As such, they were terrified of losing their jobs. So, they decided to micromanage everything.

This led to the rise of the star coordinator.

Seriously, Brian Billick came to the conclusion that calling a deep post to Randy Moss where Moss beat two defenders and out-raced a third proved that Brian Billick is a genius.

So why did it work until the mid 80s?

It probably worked in a relative sense. If most QBs are calling the plays in the year 1975, then every team is working from the same disadvantage. It's probably not a coincidence that it fell out of favor around the time that Coryell and Walsh were installing complicated offenses and taking over play-calling duties. If other teams were getting lit up by SF with Walsh calling the plays, they probably started following suit since Walsh is going to out-play-call most QBs.

:ols:

This is false. I played a Redskins dynasty on Madden where I was just running drafts, doing the GM thing. And I drafted great players dammit! Years into the dynasty, Peyton Manning had retired and I hired him as the Redskins head coach. Consecutive 6-10 seasons. I had to fire the guy. He just wasn't getting the most out of the players. We had a roster that was super bowl worthy on paper.

lol :ols:

I think it's the difference between tactics and strategy. The OC's are setting up the strategy like a chess game 4 and 5 moves out, and the QB's are responsible for the tactics which are the maneuvers that are employed to reach the objectives. Most QB's know the tactics very very few know the strategy from the field. I think Peyton is one of the few that can still rightly be called a "field general", but most today are at best Captains, they have their platoon and they go and do what they are directed to do because they don't see the bigger picture.

I think it's the difference between tactics and strategy. The OC's are setting up the strategy like a chess game 4 and 5 moves out, and the QB's are responsible for the tactics which are the maneuvers that are employed to reach the objectives. Most QB's know the tactics very very few know the strategy from the field. I think Peyton is one of the few that can still rightly be called a "field general", but most today are at best Captains, they have their platoon and they go and do what they are directed to do because they don't see the bigger picture.

I like this analogy a lot.

It's sad to think that most NFL QBs can't see the big picture. I think it's true though.

Is there a stripped down pro league where players play both ways and the QB calls the plays. A much shorter clock so everything essentially is a hurry up offense. Is this how Arena league is?

Part of this question came to mind watching the abridged NFL games they show now, where they just go snap to snap. I love football in general so it's great to watch other games and not have to invest 3 hours into it.

Archived