Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Small MB Bath Remodel ?s

hockeysc23

Hey everyone,

Been thinking about remodeling the MB since the fiancee (she said yes!) will be moving-in shortly in about 1 month to 2.

My current MB is small, outdated, and significantly lacks storage room especially with her moving in.

I currently have a broken vanity that needs to be replaced, update lighting, figure out how to add more storage for all her products, and maybe towels etc.

What I am looking to do is replace the tub with a walk in shower, glass doors, new vanity w/sink, lighting, add storage, new tile on floor and in shower. I think the toilet is in good condition and doesn't need to be replaced.

Basically my bathroom is really tight as is with a vanity, toilet, and tub. It needs an update but with my home already underwater I don't want to invest the money poorly by putting too much into this upgrade.

So some of my basic questions:

1. How much of this is a do it yourself project? Could I get a plumber to rough in the shower and I can tile, add vanity etc?

2. Any rough ideas of an estimate? I guess I am hoping around 5k but have no real knowledge on how much something like this would/should cost.

3. Should I find all the materials I want first before meeting with a contractor? Would they recommend their own stuff?

4. Any suggestions for making a tight bathroom have more storage?

5. Any contractors people recommend in the NOVA area?

My wife and I had one of our bathrooms redone for 10K last year, but that was a complete job, everything ripped out and everything put in brand new. Tub, vanity, lighting, toilet, tile, the works. This was our largest bathroom.

Our Master Bathroom is smaller and sounds similar to what you describe, so it should be less that 10K, but I can't give you anything more accurate than that. I suppose you could save here and there by buying your own materials, so long as you have someplace to store everything.

My wife and I had one of our bathrooms redone for 10K last year, but that was a complete job, everything ripped out and everything put in brand new. Tub, vanity, lighting, toilet, tile, the works. This was our largest bathroom.

Our Master Bathroom is smaller and sounds similar to what you describe, so it should be less that 10K, but I can't give you anything more accurate than that. I suppose you could save here and there by buying your own materials, so long as you have someplace to store everything.

Thanks for some feedback.

I think ideally I am looking to move to something like this: http://www.bathsbyrj.com/bathroom-remodeling-gallery.html#img_gallery/bath12.png

We have about the same size in our current bathroom just a tub where they installed a walk in shower.

We just built out a master bathroom from scratch for about $3000. We got an awesome huge tub ($1000 tub for $300), glass tile ($10sqft tile for $3.80), floor tile and a vanity from the Habitat for Humanity Restore:

http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

We saved a ton of money there and we were able to make a lot of upgrades we couldn't have afforded otherwise.

Studs, drywall, plumbing, tile, etc. weren't too hard to figure out but the plumbing took me a lot of time. I had several people I could call to walk me through some plumbing questions and there's a guy at Lowes that is very helpful. I farmed out a chunk of the electricity because I'm a real weenie when it comes to that electricity panel.

Took me about 2 months working one project at a time, a few hours a day.

Thanks for some feedback.

I think ideally I am looking to move to something like this: http://www.bathsbyrj.com/bathroom-remodeling-gallery.html#img_gallery/bath12.png

We have about the same size in our current bathroom just a tub where they installed a walk in shower.

You can create some additional storage by cutting the walk in shower down about half and building out some shelving.

1st, they look cool, but I would never do a tiled shower. if they are done correctly by a very reputable contractor who knows exactly what he/she is doing, they can be great. The other 99% of tiled showers will leak, it's just a matter of time. Then you've got mold and structure issues.

That said, bathroom remodels are typically a great home improvement project you can do yourself. (However, if you plan on changing the location of anything, that's something you'll probably want to call in a professional for.)

But if it is simply upgrading existing vanity, floor, toilet, etc... those products tend to be very easy to swap out.

And I know you said you didn't need a new toilet, but you ought to price them anyways. They are very reasonable, and will make your remodel a lot nicer. That would be money well spent imo.

One area you can really save a lot of money is on tile (floor, walls, etc.). Tile prices are all over the place, and the markup at retail is obscene. Try an outlet or salvage place

Great ideas everyone. Thanks.

Here are some pics of what my bathroom currently looks like. Please excuse the mess.

Zoony - is this common knowledge about leaking walk-in showers? I haven't heard that and see a ton of people doing it on HGTV. I don't want a headache so if it's smarter just to maybe update the tub or keep it I might do that.

I assumed a walk-in shower would be less likely to leak. Currently the grout between my tub and tile separated.

1st, they look cool, but I would never do a tiled shower. if they are done correctly by a very reputable contractor who knows exactly what he/she is doing, they can be great. The other 99% of tiled showers will leak, it's just a matter of time. Then you've got mold and structure issues.

You're talking about the shower pan, right? I haven't had any problem with tile walls in any of our bathrooms.

Zoony - is this common knowledge about leaking walk-in showers? I haven't heard that and see a ton of people doing it on HGTV. I don't want a headache so if it's smarter just to maybe update the tub or keep it I might do that.

I'm not talking about a walk in style, I'm talking about a tiled shower. You can buy fiberglass / vinyl walk ins.

You're talking about the shower pan, right? I haven't had any problem with tile walls in any of our bathrooms.

Mostly, yes. However I still wouldn't even trust walls. With everyday use over time imo you're asking for trouble in my opinion. Like I said, if they are done properly at install and the grout maintained they can be fine.

Problem is, to install a tiled shower properly requires a lot of knowledge, specific building products, patience, and a dogged determination to do it right. (like I said, that disqualifies about 99% of contractors :ols: )

Maybe my experience with contractors is a little jaded, but I would do some serious vetting and inspection of work for any contractor I hired for that type of job. Don't you guys watch Holmes on Homes? :silly:

(My parents bought into a very exclusive community in Hendersonville NC about 5 years ago. Every fancy home in their neighborhood has a tiled shower, except theirs. And every single one of their neighbors (not exaggerating) has been dealing with a leaking shower. Several different builders involved. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I just wouldn't install one. Google search "leaking tile shower".)

We just built out a master bathroom from scratch for about $3000. We got an awesome huge tub ($1000 tub for $300), glass tile ($10sqft tile for $3.80), floor tile and a vanity from the Habitat for Humanity Restore:

http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

We saved a ton of money there and we were able to make a lot of upgrades we couldn't have afforded otherwise.

Studs, drywall, plumbing, tile, etc. weren't too hard to figure out but the plumbing took me a lot of time. I had several people I could call to walk me through some plumbing questions and there's a guy at Lowes that is very helpful. I farmed out a chunk of the electricity because I'm a real weenie when it comes to that electricity panel.

Took me about 2 months working one project at a time, a few hours a day.

That's all good to know! I just moved into a townhouse in Owings Mills in March and we've been thinking about redoing our bathroom when we get our tax money back next year.

I'm not talking about a walk in style, I'm talking about a tiled shower. You can buy fiberglass / vinyl walk ins.

Mostly, yes. However I still wouldn't even trust walls. With everyday use over time imo you're asking for trouble in my opinion. Like I said, if they are done properly at install and the grout maintained they can be fine.

Problem is, to install a tiled shower properly requires a lot of knowledge, specific building products, patience, and a dogged determination to do it right. (like I said, that disqualifies about 99% of contractors :ols: )

Maybe my experience with contractors is a little jaded, but I would do some serious vetting and inspection of work for any contractor I hired for that type of job. Don't you guys watch Holmes on Homes? :silly:

As part of our home renovation we put in a new master bathroom with a walk-in tiled shower. I kept a close eye on the install. We'll let you know if we experience any problem (they're just finishing up, we'll move back in in a couple of weeks).

And, yes, I do watch Holmes on Holmes. :)

To answer Question 1:

Tile showers are great if done right.

With a tile shower you MUST MUST MUST use the proper water/mildew resistant cementboard and thinset. Consider putting a vapor barrier between the studs and the board. When applying thinset, you should butter the wall and the tile -- don't slap on too much at a time, or it will dry out and your tile won't stick. You must use mildew resistant bathroom grout. You should use silicone caulking where needed.

zoony is right: you also must be diligent in watching your grout. If you get grout cracks then you will get leaks. However, if you use proper materials, then your cracks will appear much farther down the road.

All this means spending extra money on product made SPECIFICALLY for that purpose. Some builders and contractors use stock stuff, particularly on grout and wall board, thus the 'moldy smells' and 'leaky tile.'

If you are going to do a tile shower, do not skimp on materials. I cannot stress that enough. It will be your most expensive feature, but well worth it if you install it correctly. And if you are reasonably handy, it is something that you, yourself, could do most of. With some exceptions:

As others have mentioned, I would have a professional do the plumbing and the electrical. Interview three or four reputable providers and CHECK REFERENCES. Plumbing errors will be very costly to fix. I'd probably have the plumber install your shower pan/base, too, as that is a relatively technical part of the job to do right.

Electrical code is stringent, for good reasons. You don't want to overload circuits if you and the fiancee are using numerous appliances. Also, I believe it's VA code that you need to use GFCI plugs. There are distance requirements from water source > plug/switch. You need proper housings for bathroom lighting.

Installing vanities, built-in cabinetry/shelving, floor tile, and formica countertops are do-it-yourself jobs. Corian/granite/marble, obviously, you need to hire someone.

Don't underestimate the value of a new paint job. Paint can make all the difference. Make sure you use kitchen and bathroom paint. Throw in some crown moulding or a chair-rail (or both), those simple things can make a world of difference. Consider wainscoting or effect moulding, if it fits your style. Just make sure to use a level.

Question 2: Most likely $5k will get the job done, if you do some labor yourself.

Question 3: Get an overall idea of what materials you need to address. What lighting do you want to use? Do you want special kind of exhaust fan? What countertops fit your fancy/budget? What style shower/diverter are you using in your shower? Are you getting new faucets? Replacing a toilet? Replacing electrical outlets and switches? Make sure your professional can answer all of your materials questions.

It also does not hurt to pick out a few things you like. That said, a good professional will have good contacts in the supply industry. Most reputable plumbers/electricians will get supply at a significant discount to retail. Ask them if they have preferred suppliers, and check them out to see if you like their stuff.

I found it helps to know, generally, how to do a job. That way, you can ask a professional what materials he is using and you can pick out red flags where he might be skimping. I like to strike the balance and be informed, but not a know-it-all. If a contractor isn't using proper blueboard in my shower stall, or an electrician wants to put an electrical switch 6 inches from my shower stall, or a plumber doesn't know the difference between a Delta and a Grohe faucet, I won't hire him, for example.

Question 4: wall-mounted cabinetry, reducing shower size to add built-in shelving, over-toilet cabinet, floor-to-ceiling corner cabinet.

Question 5: sorry, can't help with that one

We just had our bathroom remodeled for about $4,000. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to use either excel or openoffice.org's excel ripoff to work on a layout. Adjust row/column widths to be even, and imagine each square as an inch. Figure out how many inches your bathroom is with nothing in it, and then start figuring out how you can put things in there. Use 36x20 blocks for a toilet, if that's the size of toilet you're getting. Use 48x20 (or whatever is realistic) for your sink. etc. You can get the right measurements from websites that sell these items, so you can get it all exactly right. We completely changed the layout of the bathroom, putting the tub where the sink/toilet was, and putting a huge sink in. I designed my bathroom's layout this way, and I'm really happy I did.

We just got a tiled shower put in. It looks awesome. We believe the guy who did it is in that small 1% window, but just in case, how can we tell if there is ever a problem? Will it be one of those "I didn't realize my bathroom had major water damage until it was too late" type of deals, or will it be obvious? What can we look for?

It looks awesome. We believe the guy who did it is in that small 1% window, but just in case, how can we tell if there is ever a problem? Will it be one of those "I didn't realize my bathroom had major water damage until it was too late" type of deals, or will it be obvious? What can we look for?

There is nothing nicer than a tile shower. You can't beat the look.

Is your bathroom on the first or second floor? and if its on the first floor, is it a slab or crawl space?

Oh, this is good to know. It's actually a tub, and the walls are tiled. I was concerned I'd have a problem with water leaking through the tiled walls.

Archived