Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins fighters shooting a UFO with lasers?

Hubbs

I'm excited about the new screens. They look great, and the operators did a good job in their first real test. I very much appreciate the organization's attempts to make games more fan-friendly. They're definitely steps in the right direction.

However....

The fact remains that there's a difference between what the PR guys are doing an how they're doing it. And, honestly, a lot of the "how they're doing it" part induced more than a few cringes in my section last night. Nothing was as bad as the fighter animation they showed before each half. People who were at the game will know what I was talking about. Corny beyond corny. On top of that, before nearly every replay they would first flash a graphic describing the replay that would cheer on what had just happened in the same manner that parents would cheer on their nine-year-old playing in a PeeWee game. "Great run!" "What a play!" "Amazing!" Really? Is this football or Bring It On VII?

I know, I know. I'm nitpicking. This is all small potatoes. But if we're gonna do this, I'd like to do it right. A huge cheese factor isn't doing it right.

It was corny but I take it! Those screens make anything look good even though the graphics for the cartoon were horrible! It reminded me of the caps game a bit.

I love the feel at the stadium, I love the food at the tailgate zone... Danny is finally getting it and all I can say is about time and thank you!

Hail!!

Found the Independence Day re-creation kinda sad...did not like the fighter jets v Buffalo UFO. Fireworks were a little better...but still kinda sad.

Talked w/ our friend the usher before the game for a while. He said there are many...many changes that have been made. The new guy in charge of the stadium used to run a baseball stadium. He didn't know which one. He is very strict and has taken quite a few "perks" from the stadium staff. One of his big things was instituting that different people that do different jobs wear different colors. Usher = green. When our buddy came to our tailgate we were shocked to see him in green. Vendors look like rugby players....parking lot people are in bright orange...etc

Some things that might have been a little over the top....the ushers were told that they were not able to:

wear any beards whatsoever..only mustaches...

eat or drink anything while on duty - not even water...

use a locker room to change before and after games...

From my observation:

Lines in the concessions for a mildly attended preseason game were very full. Concessioneers were their apathetic slow selves. I wanted a pretzel....was unwilling to wait. Reminiscent of my $9? three chicken tenders and 11 fries from last year. Horrible.

People like me that live in the caves under the overhangs of the Danny's stadium still have regular def screens we have to watch. I thought w/ the super upgrade of the control room...the little TVs in the cave and the TVs by the concessions might have gone HD....but definitely no.

Big HD 100' Screens looked good. Very bright. The ribbon banners around the stadium that scrolled messages look silly compared to the HD Jumbo screens.

My one cent.

Actually TB started doing most of that stuff before Bruce Allen got there. But I guess that doesnt mean that he didnt learn from it or doesnt want to recreate something similar. Growing up in the area I went to plenty of Bucs games. I know some people think the Bucs graphics and pirate ship thing is cool, but I find it very corny. I go to Disney World if I want to see that stuff. I never found it appealing at all during a football game.

But if the Skins insist on doing multimedia in this way, their best bet would be to do something that reflects the area. The UFO thing sounds awful and to me hurts the experience.

Actually TB started doing most of that stuff before Bruce Allen got there. But I guess that doesnt mean that he didnt learn from it or doesnt want to recreate something similar. Growing up in the area I went to plenty of Bucs games. I know some people think the Bucs graphics and pirate ship thing is cool, but I found it very corny. I go to Disney World if I want to see that stuff. I never found it appealing at all during a football game.

But if the Skins insist on doing multimedia in this way, their best bet would be to do something that reflects the area. The UFO thing sounds awful and to me hurts the experience.

Thank you; I agree completely. The "disney world" line spoke to my soul. I just can't stand that place. It sucks because I know it's a nice stadium, but the fact that it is an amusement park drives me nuts. The cheesy shanty town behind the pirate ship is the worst. It's like a cardboard cutout from a high school musical. And the fairweather fans heckling you like they think they're at the Vet is laughable. I look at them like, "Oh that's so cute, look at you..."

I have to say my kids and nephew (and my wife actually) loved the plane animation. Maybe it doesn't appeal to guys in their 20s or 30s, but some people liked it.

I'm all for changes that make the experience good for kids and older people.

Thank you; I agree completely. The "disney world" line spoke to my soul. I just can't stand that place. It sucks because I know it's a nice stadium, but the fact that it is an amusement park drives me nuts. The cheesy shanty town behind the pirate ship is the worst. It's like a cardboard cutout from a high school musical. And the fairweather fans heckling you like they think they're at the Vet is laughable. I look at them like, "Oh that's so cute, look at you..."

Lol @ spoke to my soul. Seriously though, they play the song "Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me". Can it get any more Disney than that? Going there makes me feel like Im in some sort of trippy dream mixed between the ride "Pirates of the Caribbean" at Disney, a football game, and a party at Margaritaville in Key West.

Ive never liked that place. From the fans to the venue. I also went to quite a few USF games there and it made me feel almost the same as being at a Bucs game. A bunch of drunk idiots (particularly because they serve alcohol during a college game) who know nothing about football, or the team they are cheering for. Tampa sports in general are terrible fan experiences. Ive been to Rays, USF, Lightning and Bucs games. They are all the same thing. Using cheap gimmicks to get fair weather fans in attendance and interested in a sport or team that most of them dont really care about (unless of course they are good that year). I REALLY hope Bruce doesnt take that approach. To even try to compare the atmosphere to FedEx where we have a live band that was assembled decades ago (and fans who know not to cheer when the offense is on the field) is ludicrous. If Ray J is the standard for fan experience, I fear for the NFL.

I get it, I get it. We blow out our opponent in the home opener preseason game, there's a bunch of threads in the Stadium full of optimism (for once), ESPN is showing our highlights on the Top 10, so lets start a thread ****ing about a cartoon on the (2) brand new 100' wide HD scoreboards

I forget sometimes just how much I love ES :doh:

I agree with the OP to an extent. The UFO thing is way too cheesy. We need to work on that. Unfortunately if we use anything Native American themed, it will blow up on us.

I don't mind the "Way to Go" or "Amazing" graphics too much. Maybe just not every play.

Some of our players need some nicknames. Had the HD boards been around during the time of Riggins, a rolling Kenworth would have been good.

I agree with the OP to an extent. The UFO thing is way too cheesy. We need to work on that. Unfortunately if we use anything Native American themed, it will blow up on us.

I don't mind the "Way to Go" or "Amazing" graphics too much. Maybe just not every play.

Some of our players need some nicknames. Had the HD boards been around during the time of Riggins, a rolling Kenworth would have been good.

FSU has a Native American who rides around on a horse and chucks a spear. How is that not offensive but anything that the Redskins do to relate to Native Americans is? Is it the name?

FSU has a Native American who rides around on a horse and chucks a spear. How is that not offensive but anything that the Redskins do to relate to Native Americans is? Is it the name?

Yep. The name is offensive to some even though it is used as a symbol of pride and strength.

I was thinking of one other modification that may be completely impossible or easy. I don't know, I am not an architect. But if they put some sort of overhang over the upper bowl like RFK it would trap some of the sound and send it back towards the field. I know that sounds really crazy and stupid, but it really would send much of the upper deck noise that doesn't make it to the field back down. Like I said, completely random idea and obviously a thought for future offseasons.

I was thinking of one other modification that may be completely impossible or easy. I don't know, I am not an architect. But if they put some sort of overhang over the upper bowl like RFK it would trap some of the sound and send it back towards the field. I know that sounds really crazy and stupid, but it really would send much of the upper deck noise that doesn't make it to the field back down. Like I said, completely random idea and obviously a thought for future offseasons.

If you attended FedEx's only playoff game against Detroit, you would know we don't need an overhang, we only need a full stadium with fans cheering on our team. FedEx hasn't fielded many opportunities for that. :cool:

If you attended FedEx's only playoff game against Detroit, you would know we don't need an overhang, we only need a full stadium with fans cheering on our team. FedEx hasn't fielded many opportunities for that. :cool:

I have said this very thing over and over.

FedEx was insanely loud for that game. I couldnt even yell in the ear of the person next to me and be heard.

I have said this very thing over and over.

FedEx was insanely loud for that game. I couldnt even yell in the ear of the person next to me and be heard.

There was more crowd noise in FedEx field that night, than any game Ritchie Petitbon coached at RFK upon taking over for Joe Gibbs.

Fans cheering for a winner in any stadium, trumps fans cheering for a loser in RFK.

Ya, I was there that day. And it would have been louder with an overhang. see Seattle

I referenced the playoff game in an earlier post in this thread. It was very loud that day and it proved that fedex can rock when it wants to. IT was beautiful even when Tre got tossed. He went off the field pissed and the crowd never let up. Detroit never had a chance.

But having acoustics help you out can't hurt. It was just an idea. And the overhang is why Seattle is loud. 12th man my ass, Paul Allen got all microsoft with that place. Acoustics would be the real 12th man in Seattle.

Ya, I was there that day. And it would have been louder with an overhang. see Seattle

I referenced the playoff game in an earlier post in this thread.

Sure it would be louder with an overhang.

But an overhang doesn't fix losing.

Before we complain about the stadium design we need to fix the product on the field. Not sure how many Super Bowls the Seahawks have won because of their overhang. ;)

Sure it would be louder with an overhang.

But an overhang doesn't fix losing.

Before we complain about the stadium design we need to fix the product on the field. Not sure how many Super Bowls the Seahawks have won because of their overhang. ;)

Again, I already said this earlier. Totally agree, winning first. But it is a thread about the fan experience so it was just a thought. If you read what I have already said (outside of my diatribe on why Raymond James Stadium is aweful), we're saying the same thing.

I said earlier that what made RFK special was the winning; i stick by that. That is first to getting Fedex back.

Getting back to the overhang, I know for a fact it definitely messed with us twice in the playoffs. Of course our total lack of execution probably played more into it than anything. But that overhang is a mother...

It's probably logistically impossible anyways. As we agree, the number one thing to put the asses in the seats or actually get the asses out of the seats and cheering is winning.

Getting back to the overhang, I know for a fact it definitely messed with us twice in the playoffs. Of course our total lack of execution probably played more into it than anything. But that overhang is a mother...

Read all your posts and agree with the exception that we didn't lose to Seattle because of the overhang.

We were a flawed team.

I am just sensitive to the "blame it on the stadium" posts. I sat in some pretty crappy seats in RFK for some pretty crappy games......after the Gibbs regime. The stadium wasn't rocking, the site lines weren't better, even had a leak over my head for a philly game. Winning makes a stadium, not vice versa.

Archived