Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

What's with Pep's obsession in making world class DMs play CB

It's his system. He prefers to keep possession and start from the back so he needs a big guy who has quick feet and can pass really well to impose their possession will on teams. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he went after someone now because I don't think Dante can do the job anymore. Boateng maybe but who do they have that can cover his arse when he gets caught out in possession at the back? Badstuber?

Edited by RawBBQSauce
  • Like 1

It's his system. He prefers to keep possession and start from the back so he needs a big guy who has quick feet and can pass really well to impose their possession will on teams. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he went after someone now because I don't think Dante can do the job anymore. Boateng maybe but who do they have that can cover his arse when he gets caught out in possession at the back? Badstuber?

He should just have Javi play Half Back and be done with it. Bayern's CB is not quick enough as shown against Real.

Here we go, hot off the press from Sky:

With Atletico Madrid having confirmed that Javi Martinez has suffered knee ligament damage, the Spanish media are now reporting that the reigning La Liga champions are ready to turn their attention to Roma defender Mehdi Benatia - a man who has been heavily linked with Chelsea and Manchester United

Wait a minute...I can't figure this out...why would Atleti confirm Javi's injury and then look to sign a CB for themselves? Do they mean Bayern or did one of Atleti's CB's suffer an injury. WTF.

Edited by RawBBQSauce

48 hours remaining...

Immobile looked fairly inept yesterday with his opportunities.....

And this surprises you?

Never has a 'forward 'been so aptly named.

Flash in the pan season last year that says FAR more about the woefully average decline of Italian defending than it does the woefully average imobile. Uhmmm, Immobile.

Hail.

And this surprises you?

Never has a 'forward 'been so aptly named.

Flash in the pan season last year that says FAR more about the woefully average decline of Italian defending than it does the woefully average imobile. Uhmmm, Immobile.

Hail.

From what I've seen, if he can control his delivery passes and find some space, he's a very clinical finisher. Dortmund's always a good watch and I usually find myself rooting for their players to succeed. How about that cross and header from Piszczek to Aubameyang yesterday? Pretty goal.

That's what's turned Mascherano into a WC DM. (And real fine CB.). He was always a strong, hard working ball winner at Liverpool but he used to get caught out if position regularly. Since Guardiola made the inspired (all be it through injury) decision to move him to centre half his defensive awareness and appreciation has improved tenfold. There's now nobody better in Witld football for me for the job he does.

I'm all for players, particularly in training, playing in different positions to get a full understanding and appreciation of what's needed in roles unfamiliar to them. And if you strike lucky and find a dual position smart guy like Mascherano all the better.

From what I've seen, if he can control his delivery passes and find some space, he's a very clinical finisher. Dortmund's always a good watch and I usually find myself rooting for their players to succeed. How about that cross and header from Piszczek to Aubameyang yesterday? Pretty goal.

One season does not a clinical finisher make.

We'll see how he does in Germany but he's far from a replacer for the big Pole IMO. Totally shocked someone as savvy as Klopp thought he'd fit into Dortmunds style.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

One season does not a clinical finisher make.

We'll see how he does in Germany but he's far from a replacer for the big Pole IMO. Totally shocked someone as savvy as Klopp thought he'd fit into Dortmunds style.

Hail.

Totally shocked? I think you're being a bit too critical of the player. Give him some time to settle in. There wasn't anyone they could have signed to fill the boots of Lewa, to be fair. Not many pure strikers in the world can match his technical ability.

Martin Kelly @MartinKelly1990  ·  26m

I would like to thank all the managers at lfc for making my wish from the age of 7 come true playing for 1 of the biggest clubs in the world

Martin Kelly @MartinKelly1990  ·  22m

most of all would like to thank the fans for supportin me since my home debut against Lyon oct 2009 even through injuries always by my side

Martin Kelly @MartinKelly1990  ·  19m

Now to start a new chapter of my football career at crystal palace a great club with unbelievable fans excited already for the weekend

Southampton FC @SouthamptonFC  ·  6m

OFFICIAL: #SaintsFC has completed the signing of @HullCity striker @Shanelong009 on a four-year contract. #SaintShane

Bad news for Hull. What the hell? They literally just signed him in January.

"Hull City have said the fee for Shane Long is "undisclosed" but Sky sources understand it is in the region of £12million."

Edited by RawBBQSauce

Further, the whole Pep/Ajax/Van Gaal/Barca "coaching tree" says that the opponent cannot score without the ball. So possession IS defending for him. Like Raw said, who is better at possessing Mascherano or Puyol? Garcia or Badstuber? And they tackle just well enough to make the attacking/defending trade-off worthwhile. 

In theory, I like it. In practice, I haven't seen it work out yet. 

Adibal now.

But his International career was more or less done anyways.

Hail.

Absolutely, he was frustrated because Deschamps din't select him for the WC, and seemed to forget that he gave him a chance to comeback while he had a piss poor year with Monaco. Now I'm waiting for the arrogant Knysna prick cpt to call it quits, that will make my day.

Ribery (31) is being bashed on twiitter. He has the chance to end his career on a high note at home during the next EC in 2016, but he choosed to quit, what a moron !

I almost forgot, the bad team France doctors didn't help him with his back spasms, only the Bayern docs can cure his back spasms !

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Only on a video game.

What you hearing bro'?

Hail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2724817/Liverpool-interested-signing-former-Manchester-United-striker-Giuseppe-Rossi-despite-Fiorentina-s-28m-release-clause.html

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-transfer-gossip-brendan-7611039

When I see it twice, I start to wonder.

Would be a nice consolation prize for losing Suarez. Somewhat similar style.

He's not in my good graces from an American perspective.  But, hey, life is full of second chances.

Lol. I read that as Reus. My bad.

Yeah, seen that earlier. Outside of Balotelli he's the only quality striker Italy currently has. (Arsenal fans and 'imobile' not withstanding .).

Piss Utd off so there is that.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1