Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

..... For the first time in a while it appears we are trying to be on the front end of a trend which is exciting.

Outside of a long weekend in Dublin for the Celtic friendly in August, I have NO European trips to look forward to. That is NOT exciting times. It's ****! 

We're resorted to looking at going Cadiz or the like for the festivals early next year to save from European withdrawl. 

*Narky GHH. Humph!

Hail. 

..... For the first time in a while it appears we are trying to be on the front end of a trend which is exciting.

Outside of a long weekend in Dublin for the Celtic friendly in August, I have NO European trips to look forward to. That is NOT exciting times. It's ****! 

We're resorted to looking at going Cadiz or the like for the festivals early next year to save from European withdrawl. 

*Narky GHH. Humph!

Hail. 

Well, I do get to go to all of the Redskins games this season (at home anyways)... but if it makes you feel better the only LFC event I have planned right now is an early morning 10k and then a brunch at my brother's house for the ManU game lol. 

Neymar was spectacular as expected and the final dribble and pass against two men in the box was phenomenal.... Go Brazil!!!!!

It was a bit of brilliance - but the defending was comedy gold. First 21 allowing himself to be megged, then the 2 not being in any position to cover finally 15 not getting tight on Neymar after he made the break into the box and allowing the cross far too easily. 

The standard of defending worldwide is just getting worse and worse - part of it is the way they are making it virtually impossible to tackle without giving away free kicks or penalties but part of it is rank bad coaching and lack of basic organisation. 

agreed, defending has lost its luster and fouls and free kicks are too abundant!

Neymar was spectacular as expected and the final dribble and pass against two men in the box was phenomenal.... Go Brazil!!!!!

It was a bit of brilliance - but the defending was comedy gold. First 21 allowing himself to be megged, then the 2 not being in any position to cover finally 15 not getting tight on Neymar after he made the break into the box and allowing the cross far too easily. 

The standard of defending worldwide is just getting worse and worse - part of it is the way they are making it virtually impossible to tackle without giving away free kicks or penalties but part of it is rank bad coaching and lack of basic organisation. 

agreed, defending has lost its luster and fouls and free kicks are too abundant!

fouls and free kicks are what now?

suarez_2378450b.jpg

Can't root for Brazil.  Too freaking arrogant. Especially recently saying our US team was aorrgant because they were smiling going into halftime at the 2009 Confederations Cup final.  Thus why they came back.  They were pissed because of smiling.  Yeah this is the same Brazil that goes out of their way humiliate opponents to win with style and they are laying down accusations of being arrogant. Yeah ok.  

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Never heard Brazil described as arrogant.

Interesting take reading your post.

Hail.

*Edit* Do people really not like Brazil? They've always struck me as everyone's favorite neutral Country, shrugs.

Everyone loves a winner. That, and they are one of the most widely marketed national soccer teams in the world.

(I don't have any particular problem with them, btw. It's just annoying that they are kind of like the Yankees or the Lakers of international soccer)

Edited by renaissance

If one really thinks about it though, the last generation of Brazilian stars didn't really match their predecessors. Kaka had a few good years, Adriano, Robinho and Pato are not Fat Ronaldo and all the guys of the previous generation. Even guys like Dany Alves are (really good) role players for their club. 

But the new gen like Neymar and Oscar seem legit.

Never heard Brazil described as arrogant.

Interesting take reading your post.

Hail.

*Edit* Do people really not like Brazil? They've always struck me as everyone's favorite neutral Country, shrugs.

Everyone loves a winner. That, and they are one of the most widely marketed national soccer teams in the world.

(I don't have any particular problem with them, btw. It's just annoying that they are kind of like the Yankees or the Lakers of international soccer)

Interesting. I've honestly never looked upon the Brazilians in that light.

I've over romanticised them, as I think a lot of people do. That 1970 team has a lot to do with that. Outside of the early to mid-eighties French National midfield quartet and by common opinion (not personal bias, lol, as I think the '88 side was better) the best ever club midfield assembled, Liverpool's '78 vintage; that Brazilian '70 midfield and attack is arguably the greatest ever assembled. I also class the 1982 side as the greatest team not to win the World Cup I've ever seen. (Although admittedly the Dutch sides of the '70's kind of passed me by through age.). The more recent sides have been far from those and far more defensively European than anything as times have changed. 

But there's always been this mystique about Brazil to me. The yellow shirts against the green of the pitch. The traditional style to the samba beat. The great names from the past of some of the most technically gifted players you could ever wish to find in any era. I'm far from Brazilian, and even though I have little to no interest in the English National team I'd NEVER wear another Country's jersey. But a Brazilian one has always seemed somehow acceptable just because it's Brazil. 

Interesting reading changing opinion about them. 

Hail. 

*Edit* The fact that Brazil games also always contain the purtiest supporters on the male eye is purely coincidental.  :P

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Have you guys been following the civil unrest and demo's on the streets through this tournament?

The Brazilian people rebelling against all the money being ploughed into the WC (stadium renovation/ tarting host City's up etc); whilst everyday amenities and things like education and health care go by the wayside? 

Interesting to see how it's developing after the last South American WC finals back in 1978 in Argentina being played out against the backdrop of the military coup and Videla's murderous regime. 

Something to keep an eye on as upto 300,000 were out on Rio's streets last night protesting. 

Hail. 

I will hold what I've got on the possible new mid-fielder.

Yeah, £ 22 million on an Armenian ..... After the disaster of Nuri Sahin (Turkish/ German but similar type of player), who was that much out of his depth in this league we ended up cutting his loan short; colour me VERY skeptical that this will be another HIGHLY costly, fruitless exercise. FWIW, I caught pics of him signing L'pool shirts on the BBC website the start of the week so make of that what you will

In terms of the Armenian, I just like what Rodgers is doing with the midfield.  The more options the merrier.  Youth, creativity, and infusion of speed.  For the first time in a while it appears we are trying to be on the front end of a trend which is exciting.

This ones dead in the water by all accounts. Dude is apparently not only owned by the Russian club but an outside third party who wants a shed load of money so it's not looking promising. 

We are about to sign some Spanish kid from Seville, Luis Alberto. Only played 7 times for Seville, but had a boss season for Barcelona's B team last year.  :rolleyes:. Having a medical as I type. 

LFC. Thinking big as always. 

Hail. 

Yeah, £ 22 million on an Armenian ..... After the disaster of Nuri Sahin (Turkish/ German but similar type of player), who was that much out of his depth in this league we ended up cutting his loan short; colour me VERY skeptical that this will be another HIGHLY costly, fruitless exercise. FWIW, I caught pics of him signing L'pool shirts on the BBC website the start of the week so make of that what you will

In terms of the Armenian, I just like what Rodgers is doing with the midfield.  The more options the merrier.  Youth, creativity, and infusion of speed.  For the first time in a while it appears we are trying to be on the front end of a trend which is exciting.

This ones dead in the water by all accounts. Dude is apparently not only owned by the Russian club but an outside third party who wants a shed load of money so it's not looking promising. 

We are about to sign some Spanish kid from Seville, Luis Alberto. Only played 7 times for Seville, but had a boss season for Barcelona's B team last year.  :rolleyes:. Having a medical as I type. 

Hail. 

Yeah I read that on the way to work... my brother is learning the finer points of sports media right now as he gets to be a bigger off-season fan... I'm just embarrassed I didn't check up after and relied on a text message, lol.

Still a lot to look forward too in the midfield even without him.  Alberto is a pretty fluid player, he looks bigger than he is but he's fairly creative and I think would pair well with Coutinho (who I think was the best player in the EPL the last couple of months).

Yeah, from being skeptical on the Coutinho buy (I couldn't understand why we never went for the proven World class, good aged Snyder when he went so cheap in what turns out was Liverpool dragging their feet over a paltry <to them> million); but if he continues like he's started we could have a serious playmaking talent on our hands for a bargain price. He was getting better and better with every game last season. 

And don't beat yourself up a transfer that may still happen man. It's the silly season. Made even worse with no major International competition. (At least for England.), The press speculation linking us to most every player under the sun is utterly crazy and hard to keep a track of at times. 

I for one appreciate the interest from afar bro'.  :)

Hail. 

Have you guys been following the civil unrest and demo's on the streets through this tournament?

The Brazilian people rebelling against all the money being ploughed into the WC (stadium renovation/ tarting host City's up etc); whilst everyday amenities and things like education and health care go by the wayside? 

Interesting to see how it's developing after the last South American WC finals back in 1978 in Argentina being played out against the backdrop of the military coup and Videla's murderous regime. 

Something to keep an eye on as upto 300,000 were out on Rio's streets last night protesting. 

Hail. 

I've heard one report on this and it was early this week.  There were about 40,000 protesting that fare to ride the city bus went up in order to generate money for the government to build the stadiums and it's breaking some families.  And anytime soccer related news makes this particular entity it's a big deal.  So it must be getting serious.

Interesting that they didn't have this figured out before they put their bid in.  It'll even be more interesting in Qatar for me... with the money they have, from a technology stand point I look forward to some pretty cool outdoor stadium cooling systems.

But South America especially is a very unstable region (more so now after Chavez).  Probably much worse then they were in the 80's because back then you had the cartels running the show...

See I have no issues with Brazil's supporters. They love their soccer and that's awesome.  I have a problem with the vibe the Brazil team gives off.  Maybe not so much years ago but especially recently.  And honestly when your national team's slogan is "England invented it the Brazilians perfected it" you are already asking for it.But this idea of theirs that they must always win by showing off but if someone is beating them with style its immediately that team being arrogant. It couldn't have anything to do with a team being excited to be beating the most well known national team.  No its because that team is arrogant.  I just find it funny a team that winning is not enough but has to win with flare is gonna go around calling teams arrogant for beating them.

I had a girl tryout for my soccer team this past summer. She used to play soccer and had switched to play lacrosse but was now back. I asked her parents why she was coming back and the response was, "she didn't like all the running in lacrosse."

I was like WTF?? I cut her.

You shouldn't have. There is much more walking in soccer than in Lacrosse. She would get a chance to catch her breath

Ha ha. Not if you play for my team. 

Go Japan

Finally watched Japan-Italy, I thought Japan played well. But it's always hard to tel when you play Italy because they're willing to sit back and hit on the counter. So it's somewhat meaningless that Japan were taking the game to them for the first half hour or so. But credit to them that they did.

I had a girl tryout for my soccer team this past summer. She used to play soccer and had switched to play lacrosse but was now back. I asked her parents why she was coming back and the response was, "she didn't like all the running in lacrosse."

You shouldn't have. There is much more walking in soccer than in Lacrosse. She would get a chance to catch her breath

Yeah I mean some teams don't require as much running but if you a run real active attacking team you have to be able to real.  Not every second but a good amount (I mean you do walk and jog some).   I know a team I played with a few years ago played a very tiki taka style. It's pretty exhausting because you are constantly moving to create triangles.  One of the best teams I ever played with and we took the championship. 

-----

If she had I don't like getting whacked by a stick every two seconds that's more acceptable but you will take some hard knocks in soccer too.

Yeah I mean some teams don't require as much running but if you a run real active attacking team you have to be able to real.  Not every second but a good amount (I mean you do walk and jog some).   I know a team I played with a few years ago played a very tiki taka style. It's pretty exhausting because you are constantly moving to create triangles.  One of the best teams I ever played with and we took the championship. 

-----

If she had I don't like getting whacked by a stick every two seconds that's more acceptable but you will take some hard knocks in soccer too.

-----

Ultimately, it's not how much you run in soccer. It's the productivity you get out of the running that you do that matters. 

A lot of, sadly, American players run all day thinking that's what playing good soccer is. Constant movement is necessary to stay in the right position for the given situation and moment, but a lot of players just run for running's sake. Let the ball do the work-and all that good stuff.

In the long standing Anfield tradition, pass and move. Let the ball do the work, and the other team do the running.

It really is a simple game complicated by todays Coaches thinking they are smarter than they ever were. I'm a great believer in two things Shanks always used to preach. If fit, you get your best XI on the park EVERY game. (Don't get me started on squad rotation and soft ass modern day players who can't play twice a week with every fricking advantage going for them players of the past never had.). And play your game and let the opposition worry about you. Not the other way around. 

Happy to be of help.

Hail. 

Hail. 

Yeah I read that on the way to work... my brother is learning the finer points of sports media right now as he gets to be a bigger off-season fan... I'm just embarrassed I didn't check up after and relied on a text message, lol.

Still a lot to look forward too in the midfield even without him.  Alberto is a pretty fluid player, he looks bigger than he is but he's fairly creative and I think would pair well with Coutinho (who I think was the best player in the EPL the last couple of months).

Luis Alberto is now officially a Red...

• Like 1

So that's Toure (WELL past it druggie with constant weight issues who's hardly played the last two years; Luis Alberto (boss playmaker ..... In the Spanish second division); and Aspe (career average forward, mainly in the lower Spanish leagues and by all accounts his off field antics make Susrez look like a choir boy) in. With Carroll departing for less than half what we paid after a mere 2 years. After not been given a chance by Rodgers. And an Armenian for a costly fee still waiting to be sorted out supposedly.

Colour me VERY unimpressed with L'pool's season to date outside of Mingolet if and when that gets done.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Rodgers was still at Reading or Swansea. Not that it's all on him. We're no longer a top draw name today with owners looking less and less interested by the day.

Just waiting for Madrid to meet the demands on Suarez to make the summer complete. Sorry to be the token pessimist, bit if we make the top 6 and a European spot I'll be shocked this year.

Liverpool Football Club. Same ****. Different season.

Hail.

Well at least you've got ink on paper. We've allegedly signed Diaby 2, but don't want to announce him until we make a major signing. Higuain is in the wind until the new boss at Madrid arrives. Linked to another Barca teen sensation (Deufelo) and maybe Wayne Rooney. 

The one thing I like is that we're keepign the core of our squad and hopefully just adding on.