Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Pretty awesome news. Apparently USA is close to finishing negotiations on having the 2016 Copa America hosted by the USA. For those counting every 4 yrs and wondering what the hell 2016 is the 100th anniversary and apparently Conmebol wanted to do something special. Mexico will also be in the tourney.

Pretty awesome news. Apparently USA is close to finishing negotiations on having the 2016 Copa America hosted by the USA. For those counting every 4 yrs and wondering what the hell 2016 is the 100th anniversary and apparently Conmebol wanted to do something special. Mexico will also be in the tourney.

That would be amazing. I've been hoping for years they stepped up the Copa America to include the USA and Mexico teams. Of course the next step is for Mexico and USA to send the A-Squad.

Do you have a link to the story?

---------- Post added June-2nd-2012 at 11:04 AM ----------

PS....is the USA v Canada game on tv tonight? What channel? What time?

NBC Sports, but it's tomorrow night.

That would be amazing. I've been hoping for years they stepped up the Copa America to include the USA and Mexico teams. Of course the next step is for Mexico and USA to send the A-Squad.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/5/25/3044139/pan-american-cup-2016-copa-america-usa-mexico-brazil-argentina

We better send our A squad. We gotten invited every time since 1993(along with Mexico) yet we only went in 07. Bradley sent our B or C team which got destroyed. It made Conmebol so mad they didn't invite us to the next one. I'm sure Jurgen told them if we want to play better competition and establish relationships with major soccer nations we need to start reaching out. Conmebol just really wanted to do something big so they basically "said guys I know you've shot us down every year but how about we give it another shot?" Honestly I know the MLS schedule conflicts with Copa America but we need to find a way to address this issue. We can't keep having the MLS schedule interfere with international tourneys. Any kind of trophy whether it be Copa America, Confederation, Gold Cup,etc would be a great thing. It would be a major boost to our US soccer morale to grab a Copa America or even Copa Bolivia. Honestly the way things are looking for the Concacaf right now we should be making friends with Conmebol.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Kickers played two games on the road in two days this weekend. They got a draw(probably would have won but the game got called way early because the home team plays on a island and the island was starting to flood) and handed Rochester their first home loss of the year. Really need those points. If a couple of the top teams slip up and Richmond can get some wins we'll be right back in the top 3 in no time.

Man, I'm losing my Central American roots day by day. Didn't know Honduras put a critical beatdown on El Salvador yet again. It's good to hear that Carlos Costly scored a goal. That dude had a steep decline since 2010.

Sometimes I long for the 1990's-early 2000's Brazil teams. They were great and fun to watch. I don't know what the hell to Brazil in recent years. Heck, even the 1970's and 1980's were extremely good than today's.

---------- Post added June-3rd-2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

Wow 2-0 Mexico. That makes me feel really bad about our performance. I'm not looking forward to the Gold Cup next year.

That's what happens when you have Klinsmann. You don't know what you're getting from his team. Good performance or a lousy one.

Sometimes I long for the 1990's-early 2000's Brazil teams. They were great and fun to watch. I don't know what the hell to Brazil in recent years. Heck, even the 1970's and 1980's were extremely good than today's.

---------- Post added June-3rd-2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

That's what happens when you have Klinsmann. You don't know what you're getting from his team. Good performance or a lousy one.

You can't blame that stuff on Klinsmann. Its not like he's got a top 10 soccer team to work with. He took over a soccer program that needed a overhaul and was falling behind due to aging players. Sometimes we're gonna be out matched talent wise. The team we put on the field against Brazil has had a few months to gel. Those Brazil players have been through youth World Cups(and won them) and such together. This Mexican team is a result of Mexico overhauling and now reaping the rewards of it. Right now we have to take our lumps and enjoy what success(if really any) we might get. Until Klinsmann has some true resources its hard to judge him.

Considering this is a scratch Brazilian squad, with only 5 or 6 players out of the 22 that will probably be in their WC squad as of now; and their last but one friendly of a long season; I wouldn't put much 'wow' factor on them losing to Mexico in an exhibition game.

Now a full strength Spanish side being currently held at H/T and out played at home to China in their final warm-up before the Nations Cup. That's a 'WOW'.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Considering this is a scratch Brazilian squad, with only 5 or 6 players out of the 22 that will probably be in their WC squad as of now; and their last but one friendly of a long season; I wouldn't put much 'wow' factor on them losing to Mexico in an exhibition game.

Now a full strength Spanish side being currently held at H/T and out played at home to China in their final warm-up before the Nations Cup. That's a 'WOW'.

Hail.

if you look at the inury list England has already managed, if I was a Spanish player I wouldnt go near a tackle in this game!

You can't blame that stuff on Klinsmann. Its not like he's got a top 10 soccer team to work with. He took over a soccer program that needed a overhaul and was falling behind due to aging players. Sometimes we're gonna be out matched talent wise. The team we put on the field against Brazil has had a few months to gel. Those Brazil players have been through youth World Cups(and won them) and such together. This Mexican team is a result of Mexico overhauling and now reaping the rewards of it. Right now we have to take our lumps and enjoy what success(if really any) we might get. Until Klinsmann has some true resources its hard to judge him.

Hopefully tonight Clarence Goodson will make his case to permanently replace Gooch...

I had no idea that Bradley was coaching Egypt now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/sports/soccer/for-bob-bradley-and-egypt-a-higher-purpose-after-violence.html?_r=1

His first match was a narrow loss to Brazil in the Qatari capital, Doha, in November.
And yet Egypt has flourished since that defeat against Brazil last year, going unbeaten in 13 games, winning 11 times. There is a sense of a higher purpose now.