Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

On 2/21/2018 at 2:40 PM, techboy said:

Okay... I guess it's confession time.

Short version: I have accidentally become a Barcelona fan. (I'm not going to type "supporter" because I'm an American and I still don't know that much about European football).

Long version: Like every child born to upper middle class suburban families in the 70s, I played soccer growing up. I actually liked it, although I was terrible in the field. I was so terrible, in fact, that I would have played only the minimum mandated half except for this: No one wanted to play goalie, ever, so the coaches always offered to let anyone that played goalie for a half play in the field the other half. I was tall for my age and understood math and angles, so I was actually really good at it until 4th grade, when athleticism started to matter. I generally played the other half at striker, which I was pretty proud of until someone pointed out to me that it was because I was so terrible in the field that it was the easiest place to hide me.

But, as noted, until 4th grade I was a good goalie. One year (I think 3rd grade), I set a goal of not letting a goal in the entire season, and in the last game, I managed it after playing the first half, except that as I ran off celebrating our other goalie refused to play and I let in one in the 2nd. :ols:

Anyway, I quit after 4th grade and started playing American football.

I certainly never watched it, because also like most Americans in the 70s I thought soccer was boring.

I WAS a huge Redskins and Capitals fan, though. I actually stayed up for all 85 periods of the playoff game 7 against the Islanders, but my first love was the Redskins. My formative years, of course, were the 80s. Lucky me.

As I got to college, I stopped watching other sports, but the Redskins were still a passion. I actually got season tickets in 2005.

Despite the fact that I was miserable for roughly two decades, I stayed with it. I thought it was a curse.

And then, one day in 2015, I stopped caring. Ironically, it was right before the Redskins hired a real GM. That seems less ironic now of course.

I haven't watched a Redskins game in two years. I don't miss it. I'm actually happier.

I thought I was free.

About a year ago, I was flipping through the channels, and I stopped on a La Liga match because Ray Hudson was calling the game and I thought something he had said was funny.

Now, my wife and I travel to Europe once or twice a year, and we had often talked about going to a football match just to soak in the atmosphere, so I was also vaguely interested for that reason. That's also why I have been lurking here, trying to get a handle on it, though I've mostly just been hearing about Liverpool.

As it happens, it was Barcelona playing, and we really loved Barcelona and it's people and culture when we visited, so I kind of casually rooted for them, but mostly I was just listening to Ray Hudson. I suspect he's a lot like John Madden, and people either love him or hate him. I love him.

Anyway, this happened several more times... I happened to be bored, a match happened to be on, and I just flipped it on for a while.

In the process, though, I realized something. Soccer IS boring because American leagues suck. Football, though, can be sublime. I'm a Physics teacher, and I watched Messi drop passes through a window the size of a pea with a curl that I'd have trouble finding an equation for.

I cut the cord a couple of months ago, but I found out that you can stream sports from Bein on the go90 app with Chromecast for free, so I kept watching, but actually because I was streaming it actually ended up with me making plans.

For the Champions League match yesterday, I actually got a free trial of Sling so I could watch it. Uh oh.

Then before it started, I realized I was nervous. Double uh oh.

I think this is where I have to insert the Godfather meme about how I thought I was out. :kickcan:

Anyway, I have accidentally become a Barca fan. Part of me feels like a dirty bandwagoner, because they're always so good, but it's not like there's a home team for European football anyway. I would be a United fan if I watched MLS, but I don't. Maybe I will if I really get into the sport as a whole over time.

I also think it's cool that Barca is owned by its members, rather than an owner. I always loved that about the Green Bay Packers, but of course I couldn't wouldn't root for them,.

This actually sucks, caring again. Sports is a negative expectation event. The pain of losing is always worse than the joy of winning is good, but as usually, I don't really have a choice. 

Oh well.

Visca Barça 

You may now eviscerate me for being a dirty bandwagon fan.

Messi is IMO the most transcendent athlete on planet earth regardless of the sport so attracting casual fans is to be expected.  Go on YouTube and look up some of his career highlights he does things on the pitch that a human being has no business doing, and it's baffling how easy he makes it look. 

7 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Messi is IMO the most transcendent athlete on planet earth regardless of the sport so attracting casual fans is to be expected.  Go on YouTube and look up some of his career highlights he does things on the pitch that a human being has no business doing, and it's baffling how easy he makes it look. 

I've seen a few claim that he's overrated, and while I'm fairly new to actually watching truly high level play, I can see that opposing managers clearly don't see it that way, given that any time he gets a touch anywhere within 50 miles of the goal he has 3 defenders on him immediately.

What might impress me more though is that while he could probably fall down on every touch and get a foul called, he always seems to try to fight through it. A few matches ago an opposing player literally pulled the shirt over his head, which is a novel defense, I must admit. I contrast that with Suarez, where I estimate his game as 50% deadly accuracy shooting and 50% running through the opposition penalty box, falling down, then throwing his arms to the heavens and howling for justice when he doesn't get a penalty called.

That being noted, my favorite player is actually Pique.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2018 at 7:53 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I don't have a clue what he was doing over New Brighton, but this man .....

Cooler than the ****ing Fonz! 

Hail. 

Saw that one yesterday and I read (seriously) that he was over there trying fish and chips.  Just wants to get out and live the culture.  That's a man after my own heart.  Now when fish and chips was a Scouse food I don't know but you don't want to start him on beans and toast.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Thoughts?

Not sure I dig the purple

Not a fan of the purple either, but do like the look of the third kit. At least the purple will have orange lettering and piping. Aside from being the worlds greatest color, orange seems to be lucky for these Reds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Not a fan of the purple either, but do like the look of the third kit. At least the purple will have orange lettering and piping. Aside from being the worlds greatest color, orange seems to be lucky for these Reds.

Unbeaten in that kit, aren't we?

I like the orange piping, as well and I agree on the away kit.  That looks REALLY good but it all looks good on Bobby.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

I heard a rumour that Messi wishes he was as good as the Muslim Messiah .....

wp1878674.png&f=1

But I'm not one to gossip. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Not that I've ever wanted the Brazilian media to be anything like, but never have I wanted them to be more right and the club to be more misleading to the local corp.

FWIW, the African's lead the way in Sadio, Mo and the Keita so there is that. Gona' be a LONG wait until the summer window. 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/02/brazilian-media-claim-alisson-talks-liverpool-progressing/

Hail. 

20 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I heard a rumour that Messi wishes he was as good as the Muslim Messiah .....

wp1878674.png&f=1

But I'm not one to gossip. 

Hail. 

That explains why Messi wasn't part of the Coutinho deal. Can't risk the disruption when Messi eventually starts complaining that he's not playing enough. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Purple would be the third kit there mate. 

Seen three different mock-up's now and not really liked any of the kits on any of them. 

Hopefully, the official ones, whenever they're announced, will be far better. 

3 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

That explains why Messi wasn't part of the Coutinho deal. Can't risk the disruption when Messi eventually starts complaining that he's not playing enough. 

This man knows. :headbang:

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

16 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Purple would be the third kit there mate. 

Seen three different mock-up's now and not really liked any of the kits on any of them. 

Hopefully, the official ones, whenever they're announced, will be far better. 

This man knows. :headbang:

Hail. 

I've always wondered if Giggs could have been even better if he wasn't in his prime during the era of traditional wingers. Always thought his skill set was somewhat ahead of it's time. 

15 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I've always wondered if Giggs could have been even better if he wasn't in his prime during the era of traditional wingers. Always thought his skill set was somewhat ahead of it's time. 

TBF it'd be hard to have much more of a glittering career than he had. Individually and collectively. 

Just keep all the female relatives WELL away from him!

Hail. 

18 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

TBF it'd be hard to have much more of a glittering career than he had. Individually and collectively. 

Just keep all the female relatives WELL away from him!

Hail. 

Probably females in general. At least he had better taste in side action than Rooney. Is that a Liverpudlian thing? 

• Haha 1

If we beat West Ham this avvy, that would put us, for 24 hours or so at least, second in the league. One Hell of a turnaround that in the 2 and a half years Klopp's been here from the 10th placed shambles he inherited that had won just 3 of their opening 11 games and only gotten past 4th tier Carlisle at home the League Cup on penalties. 

It would also leave us just 2 points short of the '13/'14 side at this stage the season that came within a game of the title. The closest we've been the PL era. Which just attests to how utterly brilliant City have been this year and the misconception they've created with many the 
gap the league table. 28 games into '13/'14, we sat 4 points off Chelsea, level with Arsenal, and 2 ahead of City. A real 4 way Championship battle with 10 to go. We win later, we'll be 15 behind City and they'll have played a game less! Most any other season than the last two, when the two Champions had the anomalies of league record-equalling/ breaking mad winning runs, and there's a superb 5-way title battle going on now. But City are just having 'one of them' and then some. An almost perfect season for the ages. 

LFC's future's more bright than at any time the past 28 years as he continues to build and improve this. 

With still all to play for this year and as good a shot as anyone at the biggest prize in World football come May 26. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If we beat West Ham this avvy, that would put us, for 24 hours or so at least, second in the league. One Hell of a turnaround that in the 2 and a half years Klopp's been here from the 10th placed shambles he inherited that had won just 3 of their opening 11 games and only gotten past 4th tier Carlisle at home the League Cup on penalties. 

It would also leave us just 2 points short of the '13/'14 side at this stage the season that came within a game of the title. The closest we've been the PL era. Which just attests to how utterly brilliant City have been this year and the misconception they've created with many the 
gap the league table. 28 games into '13/'14, we sat 4 points off Chelsea, level with Arsenal, and 2 ahead of City. A real 4 way Championship battle with 10 to go. We win later, we'll be 15 behind City and they'll have played a game less! Most any other season than the last two, when the two Champions had the anomalies of league record-equalling/ breaking mad winning runs, and there's a superb 5-way title battle going on now. But City are just having 'one of them' and then some. An almost perfect season for the ages. 

LFC's future's more bright than at any time the past 28 years as he continues to build and improve this. 

With still all to play for this year and as good a shot as anyone at the biggest prize in World football come May 26. 

Hail. 

Got my fingers crossed for these next two home matches. No bogeys please, keep those clean sheets coming. Schedule gets quite tougher after Newcastle, especially away from Anfield.

6 points these next two is crucial to staying on course for top 4, then on to Euro glory you mighty Reds!

• Like 2