Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Completely disagree with this: 

Liverpool will ALLOW Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane to attend awards night in Ghana on eve of Everton tie - Liverpool Echo

Send a video acceptance. Or send a club ambassador out to accept on their behalf. What next? Players missing a game on a Sat'day because one of their mates is getting married? Ridiculous. Club first! 

And it'd just play into many's (natural, given his first two years the competition) view that he doesn't particularly care about the FA Cup. (Not one I personally share. Although I would question whether he truly get's the Cups importance to many of us?). And after the other week, if he went weak the Derby again .....

I'll be very disappointed, to say the least, if this leads to either being sat. 

Hail. 

Disturbing and not very pretty read that not everyone will want to. 

https://medium.com/@NcGeehan/the-men-behind-man-city-a-documentary-not-coming-soon-to-a-cinema-near-you-14bc8e393e06

The major reason I'm glad L'pool 
are having NOTHING to do with Stavely and dead glad she's mercifully turned her attention to Newcastle. The similar, undesirable to be kind, God damn atrocious to most decent human beings to be truthful, business circles/ company she moves in/ keeps. 

Somethings are WAY bigger than mere money and the success it buys. Wouldn't want ANYTHING to do with regimes with those kinds of Human Rights records personally.

Hail. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Completely disagree with this: 

Liverpool will ALLOW Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane to attend awards night in Ghana on eve of Everton tie - Liverpool Echo

Send a video acceptance. Or send a club ambassador out to accept on their behalf. What next? Players missing a game on a Sat'day because one of their mates is getting married? Ridiculous. Club first! 

And it'd just play into many's (natural, given his first two years the competition) view that he doesn't particularly care about the FA Cup. (Not one I personally share. Although I would question whether he truly get's the Cups importance to many of us?). And after the other week, if he went weak the Derby again .....

I'll be very disappointed, to say the least, if this leads to either being sat. 

Hail. 

Quite honestly the boss doesn't seem to be interested in domestic cups this year, if I'm being honest.

I get it's good for morale of your two best players going forward, but yeah, that's a lot of travel and they won't be very well-rested for the match.

Difficult decision for a leader to make.  I'm upset he's doing it for the sake of the club but happy he is doing it for the sake of the players.

We'll be singing "Tell yer Ma," at the end.

So, with this dinnertimes latest victory at Wolves leaving the U-18's topping the table as everyone goes on their mid-winter break, seemed as good a time as any to look at the ridiculously superb start to Stevie Gerrard's managerial life at the halfway point of the season:-

Top the 18's PL North regular season table. The only unbeaten side left at the mid-winter break. 

Position
Club
Played
Won
Drawn
Lost
GF GA GD
1 Previous Position 4 Liverpool 11 6 5 0 28 16 12 23
2 Previous Position 1 Manchester City 10 7 1 2 30 17 13 22
3 Previous Position 3 Manchester United 11 6 3 2 29 18 11 21
4 Previous Position 2 Everton 10 6 2 2 28 17 11 20
5 Previous Position 5 Derby County 11 5 5 1 25 15 10 20
6 Previous Position 6 Sunderland 11 4 1 6 22 27 -5 13
7 Previous Position 7 Stoke City 10 3 2 5 18 16 2 11
8 Previous Position 8 Middlesbrough 10 3 2 5 16 25 -9 11
9 Previous Position 9 Wolverhampton Wanderers 10 2 3 5 15 24 -9 9
10 Previous Position 10 West Bromwich Albion 9 2 2 5 18 28 -10 8
11 Previous Position 11 Blackburn Rovers 10 2 1 7 12 28 -16 7
12 Previous Position 12 Newcastle United 11 0 5 6 16 26 -10 5

Through to the 4th round of the FA Youth Cup and a home tie against Arsenal after a 5-1 win at Hartlepool the third round. 

Through to the quarterfinals of the U-18 PL Cup and an away trip to Tottenham after topping the group with the only 100% record. 

Through to the UEFA Youth League round of 16 having topped the group. With only Barcelona posting a better record by a point. Scoring the second most goals to Madrid (18/21), and conceding the second fewest behind Barcelona. (3/ 1.). Incidently his only loss coming early in the Youth League. 1-2 on the plastic in Moscow. 

With a record in all competitions that reads: 

P 21 W 15 D 5 L 1 F 54 A 25 GD +29.

This managements larks easy huh? 
:D

Been great to see both Steven showing his tactical acumen with a multitude of formations game-by-game. (4-2-3-1/ 4-4-2/ 4-3-3 through to the settled 3-4-3 of the last few months.). Along with the intelligence of the young lads to take them on board and implement them so well out on the park whilst continuing to play the same high tempo, hard working, very attractive attacking footie we have going on at all levels under Jürgen. Along with quite a few of them switching positions in certain games and not looking flustered in so doing. We really do have a super crop of youngsters at all levels pushing through and the '18's is no exception. Not least with the amount of 15/16 year-olds stepping up a big level making up the bulk of the appearances this year to date. 

It's also a great testament to the superb work done under Inglethorpe the last three years out at Kirkby and the 
arl L'pool family atmosphere that's back running right through the club, not least at the Academy, with the returning old coaches that players like Ben Woodburn, Rhian Brewster, last years 18's captain Connor Masterson, Herbie Kane et all have zero issues stepping back down from Melwood to add seniority to the 19's in the UEFA Youth League. 

With so many great performances to date, it's really hard to pick individuals out. But I'll go with 6 personal favourites: 

The standouts thus far are a couple of local lads (Smiles with pride. BIG.), Curtis Jones and Adam Lewis, 

Jones, at still just 16 but 
having played in every possible game this year at 18/19 level, is the sort of dominant midfielder you can build a team around. He can and has played all over the midfield, with a ridiculous 14 goals and 10 assists on the year. Strong the tattle. Excellent dribbler. Quick. Intelligent. Great web on him. Even better passing range. Just the complete midfielder dominating most every game whilst still under-aged. 

18-year-old captain Lewis is another super looking talent 
at left FB. Rapid. Tough as nails. with one heck of a talented left foot on him. He's as comfortable beating lads down the left wing as mopping up at left back. 5 goals and 6 assists to his name. And he takes a mean corner. 

Rhys Williams has been dominant at centre-half all year both in the air and on the ground. Another virtual ever present, the fast developing 16-year-old has made the right centre-half spot his own. (With a shout out to the now injury free fellow 16-year-old Tom Clayton in particular who's been boss since he returned in the back 3 of the last few months.). 

16-year-old Norwegian Eddie Tagseth, who came with a better reputation at Scandinavian youth level than his compatriot Odegaard, has certainly lived up to that billing. The 
lil' fella is a complete 'pocket rocket.' Boundless energy that has him covering all over the park. Loves a tattle when the boots are flying. Deceptively strong for his size. Super vision and passer of a ball. (6 assists this season.). And his close control and dribbling ..... Like Jones you can't get it off him. And like Jones, someone you can really build a team around. Which Stevie appears to be doing as he moulds both of them as his lynchpins. 

I really like the Canadian Liam Miller (18) up-front. 2 
hatties already among his 12 goals this year is a testament to his natural striking ability. But where he's really stood out is when he's been out the left flank with Lewis behind him. His dribbling and sheer power at pace has lead to 9 assists already. Still a little raw in some of his decisions, but he's steadily improved the more he's settled in here the last couple of years and there's a potentially very good striker fast developing. 

Also been really impressed by the young 16-year-old Czech 'keeper Viteslav Jaros since he's firmly established himself as the 18's 'keeper the past couple of months. Real good pick-up from Slavia Prague who's growing in stature and confidence by the passing game the next level against bigger boys. Naturally not on 
Grabara's leve yetl. (Who's destined for a solid career at the top be it here or elsewhere.). He's learning from mistakes as he goes like any kid this age. But the potentials there for all to see and he's had quite a few stand-out moments already. 

Obviously, all these lads, as superb as they and their compadres have been this year to date. are a LONG way away from where we ultimately hope they'll end up. With a lot of developing and growing pains still to go. But they're progressing, in many cases, WELL ahead of schedule under Gerrard and Culshaw's tutelage and there's every reason to be really optimistic at what could be the next 5 years or so. And that's before you even start on the 23's and how they're dominating in their league .....

Real fun to watch the development of these kids and even better when they're having as stellar a season as this. I'd highly recommend Stevie's 18's if you've 
nottin' else to do. 

You won't be disappointed. Here's to the second half of the season being just as good. 

And maybe, just maybe, when Jürgen hangs it up in another 3 or 4 years, we might just be set to getting back to promoting from within for the top job.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Kudos to Neil Critchley in his first season stepping up to U-23'e level too. 

As they enter their midseason break, his charges are sat: 

Two games clear at the top of PL2: 

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U21

2 points off the lead half-way the group in the never-ending PL Cup.

And all but assured qualification the group after last nights 3-0 win over Jong PSV the PL International Cup. 

And one trophy bagged already with the hold-over final from last years Lancashire Senior Cup. 

Something kind of neat for your Christmas to be sitting top of both the U-18's and U-23's leagues. 

And, as noted talking about Gerrard's boss start, it's been great to see Critchley and his team readily helping out the Steven and his with the U-19's in the UEFA Youth League and the players in the last year of eligibility for that happily stepping back down from the 23's to add a more senior presence. 

The club really is flourishing on all levels as we continue to build this.

Hail. 

• Like 1

Probably of interest to you guys .....

Young 20-year-old American Brooks Lennon has returned home to his former club after a year and a half.

https://www.rsl.com/post/2017/12/20/rsl-permanently-acquires-brooks-lennon-liverpool

He's been back at Salt Lake on loan since March which was due to run out the last day of this year so it makes sense to ratify it now as he had little future here along with his contract being up in the summer. Some good memory's from when he went on a bit of a tear the 23's Autumn last year. (Headed goal in 
a dominating Mini-Derby performance springs to mind.).

Doubt he ever makes it back to Europe but hopefully for him, he has a good career the MLS and maybe takes that on to International level. 

Cost nothing. Returns for nothing. No harm no foul. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Young 20-year-old American Brooks Lennon has returned home to his former club after a year and a half.

https://www.rsl.com/post/2017/12/20/rsl-permanently-acquires-brooks-lennon-liverpool

He's been back at Salt Lake on loan since March which was due to run out the last day of this year so it makes sense to ratify it now as he had little future here along with his contract being up in the summer. Some good memory's from when he went on a bit of a tear the 23's Autumn last year. (Headed goal in 
a dominating Mini-Derby performance springs to mind.).

Doubt he ever makes it back to Europe but hopefully for him, he has a good career the MLS and maybe takes that on to International level. 

Cost nothing. Returns for nothing. No harm no foul. 

Hail. 

I think this is just the kind of player the US needs to develop to bolster the MLS and National team.

Young promising player goes to Europe to train during their BIG developmental period. Tidy enough player, but not European first league talent. Bring him back to America where he can hopefully star in MLS, and be a national team contributor.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I think this is just the kind of player the US needs to develop to bolster the MLS and National team.

Young promising player goes to Europe to train during their BIG developmental period. Tidy enough player, but not European first league talent. Bring him back to America where he can hopefully star in MLS, and be a national team contributor.

He looked really good in the academy two years back.  Not sure why he got the loan spell last year.  Saw that he scored a goal from distance on a highlight show in his first match and thought he'd end up back at Melwood. 

I agree though.  Good for US Soccer at least.

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Scotland and Germany are both always looking for some beefy Yanks ;)

'You're Coutinho. You're Firmino. I don't know who you are?' :rofl89: :rofl89:

Poor Alex. 

Sure it will be sooner rather than later that they'll be wanting to be him along with the other two. The more he works and learns under Jürgen, fully becomes a L'pool player and rediscovers his natural attacking talents, the more you can see he has as much potential as anyone at the club for top billing.

Hail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

'You're Coutinho. You're Firmino. I don't know who you are?' :rofl89: :rofl89:

Poor Alex. 

Sure it will be sooner rather than later that they'll be wanting to be him along with the other two. The more he works and learns under Jürgen, fully becomes a L'pool player and rediscovers his natural attacking talents, the more you can see he has as much potential as anyone at the club for top billing.

Hail. 

Agree on Ox, he's been phenominal for me.  Pressed Hendo right off the pitch in my opinion cause he's better with the ball and can score.

I saw that video this morning and the kid Ben was the best when he shakes his head about Alex and he didn't know he was behind him.  Couple that with how he helped Phil with the post match on Sunday and he's leadership material.  It's a matter of WHEN for him with it all coming together.

Any truth to this Thomas Lemar stuff?

By the way Bobby's wife needs a boot in the ass for letting him wear that **** out of the house :rofl89:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Reading previews for tonight. 

The season on-going lazy, inaccurate 'journalism' about L'pool's still perceived poor defending really is something else. 

Hail. 

ESPN FC without Stevie Nichol is just unwatchable.  I had to turn off their coverage yesterday because they said Arsenal's front 4 was on par with ours and the difference would be the Emirates.

And no, these weren't American commentators... they were Brits and South Americans! :rofl89:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DC9 said:

ESPN FC without Stevie Nichol is just unwatchable.  I had to turn off their coverage yesterday because they said Arsenal's front 4 was on par with ours and the difference would be the Emirates.

And no, these weren't American commentators... they were Brits and South Americans! :rofl89:

Is Morrison producing? 

Messing aside, it's getting worse the World over. Anything for controversy. 

Dickheads. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Is Morrison producing? 

Messing aside, it's getting worse the World over. Anything for controversy. 

Dickheads. 

Hail. 

Paul Mersen was one of them.  Alejandro Moreno, who is an absolute idiot, was another.  I can't remember the other Scotty, it may have been Morrison.  Can't remember if he's from Ireland or Scotland.

Forgot to tell you, I heard an absolutely brilliant interview with Stevie Nichol on sirius XM a few weeks back on my drive from DC down to North Carolina.  Took almost the whole 4 hours and he was telling all kind of stories from the time he was pulled off the training ground and told Liverpool were buying him to when he played and managed in the US.  All kinds of personal stories in there and it was a riot.

I know completely understand why there is such a disdain for Juventus.  I never really felt or understood it before, but I do now.

13 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Paul Mersen was one of them.  Alejandro Moreno, who is an absolute idiot, was another.  I can't remember the other Scotty, it may have been Morrison.  Can't remember if he's from Ireland or Scotland.

Forgot to tell you, I heard an absolutely brilliant interview with Stevie Nichol on sirius XM a few weeks back on my drive from DC down to North Carolina.  Took almost the whole 4 hours and he was telling all kind of stories from the time he was pulled off the training ground and told Liverpool were buying him to when he played and managed in the US.  All kinds of personal stories in there and it was a riot.

I know completely understand why there is such a disdain for Juventus.  I never really felt or understood it before, but I do now.

Nicol. No H. Top Red. Need to get his book. 

Merson's about the biggest ****womble of them all. He left Salah out of his team of the year this week. Seriously. 

Hail. 

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Nicol. No H. Top Red. Need to get his book. 

Merson's about the biggest ****womble of them all. He left Salah out of his team of the year this week. Seriously. 

Hail. 

Oh I saw that.  "I forgot" ****ing knobhead

Here it is.... this is why I pay extra money to hear your pundits, who aren't much better but at least I'm in on the inside jokes.  Starts about 1:45 mark.

I do like Gab Marcotti, he's probably one of the best American journos out there.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1