Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I just see Chelsea as a johnny come lately club, and though their on a good run since the Russian bought them, for me they're just the rich kids at high school... they don't bother me.  They're loud, obnoxious, most are racist and elitist, but they know not to step out of line.  All it takes is a look.

Not a shot at you RvA, just explaining why I'm not bothered. 

Now the club and what it stands for, they make me puke.

If that makes any sense.  I'm weirdly elite in the art of compartmentalization.

Ha, no offense taken I got thick skin.  I completely understand Chelsea as "Johnny come lately" and it makes sense.  However, there will come a time in the next 5-10-15 years where history continues to grow for certain clubs, and doesn't for others. The likes of Leeds, Newcastle, Aston Villa being teams in contention are over.  Chelsea's history isn't as great, but we've already won more than those teams of more "historical notoriety" in in the premier league era, including Liverpool :)

And now speaking of the premier league era, EVERY team is getting wealthier.   I think there's going to be a lot more parity in the league than ever before, and history for teams just won't matter that much.  Southampton is a team I've got my eyes on they are a feisty bunch.  As much as I hate to say it, Tottenham looks set up really well for the future as well.  

Ha, no offense taken I got thick skin.  I completely understand Chelsea as "Johnny come lately" and it makes sense.  However, there will come a time in the next 5-10-15 years where history continues to grow for certain clubs, and doesn't for others. The likes of Leeds, Newcastle, Aston Villa being teams in contention are over.  Chelsea's history isn't as great, but we've already won more than those teams of more "historical notoriety" in in the premier league era, including Liverpool :)

And now speaking of the premier league era, EVERY team is getting wealthier.   I think there's going to be a lot more parity in the league than ever before, and history for teams just won't matter that much.  Southampton is a team I've got my eyes on they are a feisty bunch.  As much as I hate to say it, Tottenham looks set up really well for the future as well.  

Well, Chelsea would have to go on a hell of a run to be mentioned in that "rare air" and Liverpool would have to continue to puts around. 

We've had our worst 10 year stretch in the recent history of our club and we have as many European Championships as Chelsea.

How does the song go?

**** off, Chelsea FC

You ain't got no history

Five European Cups

And 18 Leagues

That's what we call history

:lol:

When you get to that you can make a counter song.  United have.

As original as they could make it... "Are you watching Merseyside" 

Sick burn, right?

Edited by DC9

I never really go for this whole "you don't understand the feelings because you didn't grow up in it" nonsense.  I can certainly understand how teams supporters hate each other for various reasons as I have very similar feelings with my teams and opponents supporters.  There are always a-hole supporters for any side.  Nobody has a monopoly on this.

I'd suggest you'd be best served not passing judgement on situations you know nothing about. 

Hail. 

I'd suggest you'd be best served not passing judgement on situations you know nothing about. 

Hail. 

First, not a shot at you, but a general idea.

Second, the thought that you and your club are somewhat above everyone in the area of fan rivalry is just arrogant.

You are the expert on monopolies.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You left that one wide open.

I will say that it's certainly DEEPER (sometimes much) when you grow up in it.  It's culturally different. 

I'll take the compliment that Bayern are a large team with lots of winning and trophies (something you, in the same post, crowed about with your club.

The monopoly on being aggrieved is clearly won, hands down, by Pool and its supporters.  Somehow every Pool fan is both very loyal and been a lifetime supporter as well as being clearly wronged by every other side.  Yes, you can have that monopoly.

And as far as songs go, I heard another song recently, and it went just like this:

Piss off, Liverpool NIE*

All you got is 'istory

No place in Europe,

No EPL Trophy

At least you got your Week-nights free.

*NIE = Not In Europe

BREAKING: Reports coming in that Man City have bid £50m + Sterling for John Stones. Everton are holding out for just the £50m.

I dunno what's more ridiculous stones going for 50m or pogba for 100m. Probably stones but it's close.
  • Like 3

Raheem a blue!?!?!

God smiles on us now and again.

Piss off, Liverpool NIE*

All you got is 'istory

No place in Europe,

No EPL Trophy

At least you got your Week-nights free.

*NIE = Not In Europe

Damn Hammer don't hurt 'em

"Four One!  Four One!

And it's now 23 years

and You'll never win again

and you'll never win again"

And that 23 just keeps on a-growin'!

Chelsea are the Seahawks of the Premier League.

That is honestly how I look at them.

Assuming success due to relevancy in recent times.

But one those famous old big clubs always seem to find their way back.  In every game.  In every league.

It'll happen.  Probably sooner than you think or you're ready for.

And when it happens this year, ya'll might as well not come in here for at least a month lol

Balotelli apparently turns down a move to Besiktas.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and blame that one on Pirlo. 

I dunno what's more ridiculous stones going for 50m or pogba for 100m. Probably stones but it's close.

Most current transfer fees are ridiculous. The numbers for Pogba and Stones are bigger yet put in perspective with other fees, they rank as equally absurd.

• Like 2

With all the talk over Pogba and big money signings, one man is bucking the trend. That's why we employed him. He's building a football club. Not just for the short term. 

Klopp unconcerned by Liverpool FC rivals' spending power - Liverpool Echo

Jurgen Klopp says the spending power of Liverpool’s Premier League rivals doesn’t bother him as he insisted: “I want to do it differently" ..... “If you bring one player in for £100million or whatever and he gets injured then it all goes through the chimney,” Klopp said.

​Taking of, live chat with him right now as I type as the club builds towards the third kit launch: 

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/vb.67920382572/10154526635422573/?type=2&theater

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

With all the talk over Pogba and big money signings, one man is bucking the trend. That's why we employed him. He's building a football club. Not just for the short term. [/size]

Klopp unconcerned by Liverpool FC rivals' spending power - Liverpool EchoJurgen Klopp says the spending power of Liverpool’s Premier League rivals doesn’t bother him as he insisted: “I want to do it differently" ..... “If you bring one player in for £100million or whatever and he gets injured then it all goes through the chimney,” Klopp said.

Nah not buying that. It's all relative.

In a world where you pay upwards of 36m for Mane and can sell Ibe for 15m and Brad Smith for potentially 6m, then the Pogba / Stone fees become relative numbers.

Mane should have cost 15-20m max in a different climate, as Pogba would be 40-50m.

Individual transfer fees also need to be put in context with overall transfer budgets available to managers.

Arsenal trying to sign Mustafi €30 mil + €10 mil bonuses, his contract clause is €50 mil.

Pogba fee is just about the most outrageous thing I've ever seen in my whole life.  He simply is not worth that much, and Jose will ask him to work hard.  He has a lazy streak so it will be interesting to see how it goes... 

Lazy and inconsistent, even if it's hard the first one can be fixed not the second one.

Too bad when you've got this talent.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Whizzed past his man using pure pace and nothing else, then ****ing up the final pass/ shot?

Hail.

I don't think he has pace any more.

Remember his first move with City where he tripped over the ball?  That was Kaka last night.

Giovinco made a case to get back into European football.  For me he's the only world class player in MLS, just a little short knocker.

• Like 1

I don't think he has pace any more.

Remember his first move with City where he tripped over the ball?  That was Kaka last night.

Giovinco made a case to get back into European football.  For me he's the only world class player in MLS, just a little short knocker.

Was Giovinco left out of the Italy side a snub?  Or justified?

Honestly I don't follow MLS, I tried but then I saw way too many people trip over themselves and kick the ball out of bounds to really get into it.  Oh and the refs...my God the refs...

• Like 1

Was Giovinco left out of the Italy side a snub?  Or justified?

Honestly I don't follow MLS, I tried but then I saw way too many people trip over themselves and kick the ball out of bounds to really get into it.  Oh and the refs...my God the refs...

Conte said it was because he played in MLS. He was playing well, but he was playing well in MLS. 

looking back to the first half of the chelsea liverpool match (i couldn't make it through the 2nd half and went to bed)...

1) freaking zonal marking. i just don't get it. you allow the attacking players to get momentum for their approach/jump and you create the possibility of confusion on the defense (you have him, no you have him, no you have him). just play man, sack up, and clear the freaking threat.

2) liverpool looked fairly tidy considering it's preseason and there were some bench players out there (granted, both teams in same situation). decent attacking creativity in spurts... just have to get on the same page. one of the dangers of so much change in the off-season.

3) liverpool looked mighty vulnerable to the counter. i love me some geggenpressen, but it's going to put a lot of pressure on our CB's and karius. that first tackle in transition was shakey at best.

4) i missed the terrible foul on ragnar, but holy hell it looked bad on the vine i saw the next day. no place for that in the game, let alone in a freakin' friendly.

5. i'm excited to see mane, sturridge, firmino, and coutinho play together; ditto for can and grujic; ditto for matip and lovren/sahko/ragnar the red.

two weeks!

• Like 3

Something tells me if you had Sturridge in there the scoreline would reflect it.  Chelsea lined up in a defensive shape from the get go, looking to counter and hit on set pieces.  We had almost no attacking threat on the field, opting for Ruben Loftus-Cheek (a central midfielder) playing up top.  Willian and Fabregas are the only two forward-minded players I think we had out there, and even then they aren't goal threats.

Mane looks good.  The price tag was hefty, but that's the world we live in.  In today's market it's about as good a deal you can get.  Firmino needs a haircut and I've always been a fan of Coutinho. Pool pressed as expected, and I was happy Chelsea's back four could handle it, even though we made some mistakes that could have ended up as quality chances.  

It's a friendly, and Fabregas' foul has no place in that game.  Would have felt awful for the pool player if it were a broken ankle or something of the sort, which was a realistic possibility given the angle and timing of the tackle.  Like I said earlier, Fabregas is not known for throwing his body around and pressing hard and tackling.  Something tells me it's instruction from Conte (not to tackle foolishly, but to be aggressive).  Both came out after with an apology.