Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

rent boys don't have to be gay. Gay for pay maybe, but certainly not a requirement. 

Big talk for a club that has outspent Arsenal by an order of magnitude over the last 15 years. But ya gotta use that money you've been charging for ZJs somehow, right? 

Why are we even talking about rules changes when you don't even know the rules you want to change? 

I don't know, because it's nice to see a panty waste like you twist in the wind. 

YOU were talking about eliminating offsides all together. Or you now saying keep the offsides for only corners?

No, I'm interested in the idea of eliminating offsides altogether in normal game plan situations. 

I must have been envisioning something from today's match which was a free kick, a set piece, where the ball was volleyed into the box from an angle trajectory and the offense was attacking similarly to what you see on a corner kick, going for the header. 

I believe west brom was called at least twice if not three times for an offsides. Didn't one of the offsides result in a header that made it into the back of the net, yet reversed with an offsides? 

Sorry, I guess I failed to relay the similarity between the set piece and the corner kick. Not meant for the corner kick itself. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

I don't think eliminating offsides would have the outcome you are looking for. You repeatedly mention well timed runs and beautiful through balls. You wouldn't have to time your runs. There wouldn't be high lines. The game would stretch and the play would get super direct. I am not a big fan of kick and run or hoof and head.

I think you still have to stack an opponent, no matter what sport you play, in order to create an element of surprise. You can't simply just run hellbent down the field without being noticed, nor do I think one can just leave a guy by the other team's goal.

Simply from an imbalance standpoint, I don't think managers would start leaving offensive players by the other team's goal if it meant a liability of the defensive end. But, I likewise wouldn't be in favor of that from a rules standpoint, in of itself. 

You still have to set up runs if you want to lull the defense to sleep.

Besides, if defenses start to play deep, as you allude to, does that not then allow the offensive team a pretty easy walk up into the box?

Like you mention, you like passing and slow matriculation, if the defense has to leave men deep to defend free runners, then they are sparse on slowing the offensive team from moving the ball well past midfield and into a position for a long-range shot on goal. 

So, you'll still have an element of picking your poison, defensively. 

I'm sure I'd be in favor of counter penalties, or adjustments to the rules, if there was some sort-of extreme manipulation of the game play due to the elimination of offsides. 

I like build up, skill, intricate passing, movement off the ball and well timed runs.

I don't know how those aspects of the game go away simply due to removing offsides. There are still going to be clubs who prefer that style, who do it well, and will continue to execute that style.

Just because the rules allow for a free runner in the field of play, it does't mean teams have to use it. 

At some point, you'll run out of real estate and you can't, from a technical standpoint, play run and lob soccer. There will still always be slow matriculation of the ball downfield ... right? - I think so.

I'd just like to see these instances where, literally, one foot or two feet of lead "offsides" doesn't smoosh out a wonderfully timed pass and run. 

I respect what Roma does, their passing skills. I can enjoy the style you mention just as much as any other, too. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

Since you want to stick to your guns, I'll ask some questions:

Why would any team play a high line without offsides?

Why wouldn't a team put a player on the keeper at all times to screen him?

Why would you need to time your runs when you can just outsprint defenders?

With the field less compact, why would intricate passing be necessary?

It's like you expect the game to be played exactly the same, except they will just stop calling offsides. Do you really believe that?

• Like 1

It seems that ManC raised its offer for De Bruyne, now they're ready to dump (or shall I say waist ?) €66 million (£47 million) to sign him.

This is what the special one said about him in Het Laatste Nieuws:

"Actually, I wanted to keep him, but he did not want to fight to be a starter on a competitive team."
"He told me he did not have the personality to fight week in week out. He said (De Bruyne) he was more the kind of player for a team on which he is sure to play/start every game. I replied: "That's Chelsea You're young, we've got Hazard, Willian, Schürrle, Oscar, and I can't promise you anything."

Edited by FrFan

We do need some obscure soccer nerd here that primarily follows the Eredivisie. Like a hipster supporter. "Eredivisie is only for those that appreciate real soccer"

I (slightly) resemble that remark.

I started falling for the beautiful game whence watching the Netherlands. So naturally, i first started watching Eredivisie. First shirt i bought was an Ajax kit.

Now i find it only separate from Liga MX in that the league discourages the whiny **** syndrome that is something of a badge of honor for those playing in Liga MX. That, & playing defense is seen as a 6 letter N word that rhymes with bitter (Liga MX).

Just. Don't.

Side note.....i find it terribly improbable that i can keep up with you lot. My G_d can you guys hammer out a convo, or what?

I come back after work, took a glanceat the goings on since my last post, & whoah....wtf just happened, haha.

It's all good though, guys. Just keep doing you.

Edited by nemocystem

And they have line changes because of the pace of the game, physical exertion ... on said small rink. 

Hand in glove. 

Still, the definition is a line, on a tight, small, playing surface -- not the last man defender. 

I needed to make that distinction to rebut my opponent's counterpoint.

Well aware of the rink size differential. I personally like a larger rink and more spacing for hockey.

NHL (sometimes) feels a little roller derby-ish for my taste. Especially when the game is disjointed, not smooth, for long segments of time. Just a scrum for the puck by the boards, then haphazardly cleared to the other end, rinse - repeat. I like technical. 

Scoring as in birds/women? - I'm good. 

Still waiting to see the pictures of the new boat / new boobs.  :)

Maybe I'll send you some Mike Gartner lead Caps hockey videos. Pretty sure I'm your senior.  

Oh, there once was a guy named Rod Langway, I'll save him for bed time stories. 

Not to get too far into a hockey discussion, I had this same discussion with my cousin (who is a high school basketball coach) earlier this summer.  We got down into the cellar of attack games and found that really, out of the major attack games, basketball is the only one without an offsides rule.  But that has a smaller surface than all of them.

If you want scoring to go up in hockey, take the trapizoid rule out and let the goalie play the whole area behind the goal like Marty B used to.  I think that has led to less goals more than anything.

Personally I like the way hockey is played now, as I do for soccer/football.  I play both on intramural teams for the Army and I think it adds a lot of interesting strategy to mix that most Americans who don't see that kind of thing in the attack games that we typically grow up with (Football and Basketball).  I know I play more FIFA and NHL because there is only so much you can do in Madden, but there are TONS of different ways to succeed in soccer and hockey.  Just my preference.

And no boobs or boat yet, put the money into the kids for now (and moms-in-law has been hanging around the house).  Still up in the air whether or not we go back to STH for the Redskins or buy DC United tix when we move back up to the area.  Honestly will probably do both.  The ticket office for the Redskins was really good to me, though.  Gave me two years of "you don't have to pay and you won't lose your seniority" since I'm out of the area and last year only made it up for one game (the Giants game where Cuzzo is still throwing picks).

Edited by DC9

In a fantasy world, if you want scoring to go up expand the goal slightly and an even more radical, add a "2-point line" at about 25 yards. 

Teams pack the box so there is little time and space to create anything. If you can't penetrate you're limited to shooting from distance, but GKs are pretty big and pretty rangey nowadays that they do a decent job covering the goal. Make the goal bigger and add an incentive to score from distance-it could turn ties on it's head. A 2-0 lead wouldn't be so safe. 

In that world,  a guy like Coutinho could actually be useful. 

The family are just happy yuse have kept yer grid shut and not got involved for once!  :lol:.

Changing tack, this amused me as much as the young Koeman seriously disturbs me:

Hail. 

He disturbed me last year during match week one.

Guy looks like one of the elders from Blade or something.

• Like 1

He disturbed me last year during match week one.

Guy looks like one of the elders from Blade or something.

The more I look at him above the more he resembles a dick with face drawn on it. 

Just saying. Shrugs, 

In that world,  a guy like Coutinho could actually be useful. 

Well yeah, but sadly we don't get ideal Worlds. 

If we did y'all could play 10 wooden brooms and make Ozil look mobile and effective. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Lucas looks like he's on the move. West Ham looking for a replacement for Song.

Don't understand this at all.

Mr Dependable. In that role, he's amongst the top 3 in the league. Just does his job and does it well whilst continuing to be totally underrated by the majority of our support. I really want to see Can getting more and more games. But he's still learning and is relatively inexperienced at this level. Why take away the only other option we have for the role?

He's not heavy on the wage bill and he'll garner a next to nottin' transfer fee. Far more beneficial to us than not all things considered IMHO.

Strong rumour is he and BR had a bust up the end of last week. Hence why he was completely omitted from the squad for Stoke.

Ridiculous how the manager holds grudges.

Hail.

• Like 1

Don't understand this at all.

Mr Dependable. In that role, he's amongst the top 3 in the league. Just does his job and does it well whilst continuing to be totally underrated by the majority of our support. I really want to see Can getting more and more games. But he's still learning and is relatively inexperienced at this level. Why take away the only other option we have for the role?

He's not heavy on the wage bill and he'll garner a next to nottin' transfer fee. Far more beneficial to us than not all things considered IMHO.

Strong rumour is he and BR had a bust up the end of last week. Hence why he was completely omitted from the squad for Stoke.

Ridiculous how the manager holds grudges.

Hail.

agreed, especially since he's cheap and we don't have much coverage behind him. that said, i'm not a huge lucas fan in general. Edited by dchogs
  • Like 2