Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SC: Early indications

JimmiJo

http://web.skinscast.com/subcast/2010/08/10/early-indications/

Early indications

By John Pappas

Skinscast Editor

It is still very early in the preseason. In fact, the Redskins haven’t played a single snap of football. But after nearly two weeks of training camp, storylines are starting to emerge. In the midst of training camp battles, some players are differentiating themselves, while others struggle. And while it is too early to close the book on anyone in camp, there are subplots going into the games that bear watching.

Trent Williams

Williams looks to be the real deal at left tackle. And there’s a lot to love about his playing so far. It starts with footwork. Williams has very quick feet for a big man, and has been adept at getting back into his stance on pass pro. He gets back quickly and is rarely out of position after the snap. When hit, he recovers well. The next thing you notice is his balance and technique. Williams plays within himself, doesn’t over-reach, keeps his head up on a swivel, and has excellent punch with his hands.

On run blocking, Williams is athletic and powerful at the point of attack. He moves well in space and has shown the ability to shed primary blocks to chip off guys further downfield. This will create opportunities for backs beyond the line of scrimmage.

Williams hasn’t won every battle in camp, but has won more than his share. Not bad, considering he faces guys like Brian Orakpo every day in practice. It will be interesting to see how Williams handles defenders in preseason as he prepares for week 1 against DeMarcus Ware and the Dallas Cowboys.

Right of center

The signing of Artis Hicks and trade for Jammal Brown looks great on paper. Brown is just one injury removed from the Pro Bowl, and Hicks has been a serviceable starter in the league. Based on camp however, the right side of the offensive line remains an area of concern.

Hicks has been just ok at guard, and has looked horrid in one-on-one drills. He has been caught reaching more than a few times in pass pro, and has done nothing remarkable on runs. Hicks should have been battling with Mike Williams for the starter’s job at right guard. Unfortunately, Williams was lost for the year with blood clots near his heart.

Click HERE to read the rest of the article...

losing Mike Williams is a HUGE blow ... I remember saying it when we found out about the blood clots, and some of my friends thought that Hicks would have won the starting job at RG. My point was, and is, that we now have very little depth.

Whether Big Mike or Hicks started was not the point, it was that our 6th OL'man coming off the been would have that experience and pedigree to step right in and pick things up.

Now, we are one more big OL injury away from being very, very thin on the OL. This is a big concern. Hopefully we'll get the running game going enough that it will take the pressure off McNabb and the rest of the offense.

Donovan McNabb has a reputation of a poor camp quarterback. He has lived up to billing so far.

I wonder how Shanahan really feels about this. I wonder if he is a bit worried deep down. He clearly believes in the idea that you play how you practice.

Williams hasn’t won every battle in camp, but has won more than his share. Not bad, considering he faces guys like Brian Orakpo every day in practice. It will be interesting to see how Williams handles defenders in preseason as he prepares for week 1 against DeMarcus Ware and the Dallas Cowboys.

Assuming Ware is healthy enough to play, of course.

Archived