Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Anyway, back to this year. It seems like a relatively weak year for running back, which will probably be a need for us down the road. It might be a blessing in disguise that DeMarco Murray has the injury concerns and the relative lack of production now that he's been splitting carries. We might be able to steal him in the 3rd round. I've always like his size/speed combination, and thought he could be a first rounder if he just got the carries. What do you guys think?

I would absolutely love to draft Ryan Williams. I think he's got the stuff to tear it up in the NFL.

On offense, I'm looking to get Ryan Williams or Andrew Luck. I'm not a Locker fan. I just watched the video of Blaine Gabbert against Nevada, and he looked horrible. That was one game, but I don't see any of the hype. AJ Green is also a possibility. I don't keep up with OL prospects.

I would absolutely love to draft Ryan Williams. I think he's got the stuff to tear it up in the NFL.

On offense, I'm looking to get Ryan Williams or Andrew Luck. I'm not a Locker fan. I just watched the video of Blaine Gabbert against Nevada, and he looked horrible. That was one game, but I don't see any of the hype. AJ Green is also a possibility. I don't keep up with OL prospects.

What!?!!! Evidently you saw a different game than I did because I specifically remember Gabbert was incredible in that very game. Nevada was one of the better pass defenses in the country and Gabbert absolutely shredded them to the tune of 414 yards and 3 touchdowns. He put on a passing clinic showing off almost every throw in his considerable repertoire.

You are the second person who has said Gabbert sucks on these forums in two days. I can see I'm going to have to post a detailed evaluation of him to try and nip this foolish talk in the bud. Come on Chicken Fried, I know you know better.

EDIT: I just looked it up, I had my facts completely wrong. Nevada certainly wasn't one of the top pass defenses last year. They were statistically one of the worst in the entire country. Still, Gabbert killed them, and I stand by my evaluation of that game.

What!?!!! Evidently you saw a different game than I did because I specifically remember Gabbert was incredible in that very game. Nevada was one of the better pass defenses in the country and Gabbert absolutely shredded them to the tune of 414 yards and 3 touchdowns. He put on a passing clinic showing off almost every throw in his considerable repertoire.

You are the second person who has said Gabbert sucks on these forums in two days. I can see I'm going to have to post a detailed evaluation of him to try and nip this foolish talk in the bud. Come on Chicken Fried, I know you know better.

So all things being equal which QB would you take if we go for one in the 1st this coming year or next?

So all things being equal which QB would you take if we go for one in the 1st this coming year or next?

I don't think Blaine Gabbert or Andrew Luck are going to declare early. I do think Ryan Mallett will. If my choice was between all of the seniors and Ryan Mallett, I would choose Jake Locker for sure although I like Christian Ponder too. I am however leaving room for a fairly unheralded QB to break out this season and put his name in the hat with Locker's and Ponder's because I think we'll see something like that happen this year.

Now if Blaine Gabbert and Andrew Luck and Mallett all declare early, seeing as I'm the Chairman of the Blaine Grabbert Man-crush Comittee, Extremeskins chapter, I would choose Blaine Gabbert. Regardless, Gabbert is who I hope we are targeting in 2012. That's a long time from now though. Gabbert could stop progressing or even regress. There are also an incredible number other exciting prospects like Terrelle Pryor, Nick Foles, and maybe some untested ones like John Brantley and Dayne Crist. But since non of that has happened yet, I stand by my praise of Gabbert.

Assuming Mallett comes out in 2011, for 2012, my extremely early list of favorites is:

- Blaine Gabbert

- Andrew Luck

- Nick Foles

- Terrelle Pryor

- everyone else

EDIT: I just looked it up, I had my facts completely wrong. Nevada certainly wasn't one of the top pass defenses last year. They were statistically one of the worst in the entire country. Still, Gabbert killed them, and I stand by my evaluation of that game.

I just watched the second half of the game, and he played better. Apparently, his stats were awesome but I didn't see a first round quarterback. Maybe it's the spread offense. That monstrosity burns my eyes! I'd love to think otherwise but I can't find much else besides that game on youtube. I do think, however, that his mobility will be very attractive to Shanahan.

I wouldn't touch Terrelle Pryor with a 10 foot pole. He's like Michael Vick (who I still love) but without the passing ability and with legs that just won't cut it in the NFL. Only Vick had the ability to continue to be a dual threat QB in the college sense of the term.

I know you are obsessed with Nick Foles from last year. I've seen the videos, and I'm sorry. I don't see the hype there either.

I have little interest in Mallett. All arm, no accuracy or touch. I'll have to watch some of him this season and see if he changes.

Locker is probably my favorite out of the above I've criticized only because I think he can get better with his passing accuracy.

In my opinion, Andrew Luck is far and away the best QB in college football right now. I would do anything and everything to get him on the Skins., but he's not really a Shanny kind of QB. But, then again, things change. Luck is on the level that I put Bradford last year except I like him a little bit more than Bradford.

It all depends on how everyone plays this season and who declares early. As of right now, though, if we couldn't get Luck, I wouldn't want any of these QBs in the first.

Stevemcqueen, sorry to bash every QB you love. Haha.

Ryan Mallet get a lot of knocks here but he is the most nfl looking QB in college. Playing in a pro style offense, great year last year, and is what a junior? yea he has a lot of potential

Yeah he certainly has the potential with an arm like he has, but he really need to improve his accuracy a whole lot. It's pretty much the same story with Locker. They both have potential, but that means little until you actually improve. We'll see what happens this year.

Ryan Mallet get a lot of knocks here but he is the most nfl looking QB in college. Playing in a pro style offense, great year last year, and is what a junior? yea he has a lot of potential

Mallet is as anti-WCO as you could ask for. His wind up is so freaking slow.

I don't know about that pro-style offense. Matt McGuire points out that a Bobby Petrino QB has never been good in the NFL despite looking like stars in college. Mallett isn't more NFL ready than Locker or Ponder are and they both play in pro style offenses. Mallett still lines up in spread formations and in the shotgun and awful lot and he's erratic. His footwork is god awful and his passes are all over the place. Plus as many have already stated, his release is long and deliberate. Can he throw from multiple arm angles? Can he throw on the run at all? I haven't really seen him do it. Nowadays, only a tiny bunch of very special quarterbacks can be successful without the ability to run--we could probably count their number on one hand (Manning, Brady, Rivers, Schaub [though he runs alright]... I would say Palmer but he's been getting his ass kicked lately). Each thrive on quick reading and releasing and expert footwork in the pocket plus generally sound protection from their lines and an excellent group of receivers. Everyone else gets to run for their lives to extend plays and make things happen. I honestly think Mallett is too slow in most of the facets of his game for the NFL. Look at his awful drops, his head movement, his windup, his inability to escape. He just lacks urgency. Someone else said it well, he's an atrocious fit for our offense and a sort of anti-Jay Cutler. Shanahan would never draft Mallett.

I just watched the second half of the game, and he played better. Apparently, his stats were awesome but I didn't see a first round quarterback. Maybe it's the spread offense. That monstrosity burns my eyes! I'd love to think otherwise but I can't find much else besides that game on youtube. I do think, however, that his mobility will be very attractive to Shanahan.
Gabbert is one of the fastest QBs in college. He runs like a 4.5 40 yard dash at 6'5 240 pounds. He's a freak athlete with a cannon for an arm that can make all the throws from every arm angle, on the run, in the air, off his back foot, and with occasional breathtaking placement and timing. I don't think I've ever seen a QB come along in my lifetime with his natural gifts aside from Vince Young. Then again, Young was nowhere near as smart or mature as Gabbert is and he never had the sweet throwing motion Gabbert does. He's a true "5 tool" quarterback if you will. The spread offense isn't the knock it used to be. His only pronounced flaw is his decision making which is underdeveloped at this point. But that was his first year starting, he'll get much, much better, especially if he sticks around for his senior season like I think he will.
I wouldn't touch Terrelle Pryor with a 10 foot pole. He's like Michael Vick (who I still love) but without the passing ability and with legs that just won't cut it in the NFL. Only Vick had the ability to continue to be a dual threat QB in the college sense of the term.
Pryor has as much functional quickness and escapability as anyone in the NFL could hope for, and he's actually a better passer at this point than Mike Vick ever was in college. I say that as a VT homer who's boyhood hero in the 6th and 7th grade was Michael Vick. Should Pryor come out in 2012, he'll probably be more NFL ready than Vick ever was in terms of decision making, the ability to run progression reads and stay patient in the pocket and deliver well timed throws. Plus he's got elite size whereas Vick was always undersized. Judging from the show he put on in the Rose Bowl, Pryor is going to be a good prospect when all is said and done.
I know you are obsessed with Nick Foles from last year. I've seen the videos, and I'm sorry. I don't see the hype there either.
Foles is a good decision maker with elite size and an elite arm and a good reputation for intelligence and character. He's a bit overcautious and goes through his reads too quickly IMO, looking to dump instead of extend plays, but that could be a function of scheme. Plus his surrounding talent is very sparse compared to his competition. I know there is a youtube video of him playing USC out there. Go back and watch it. Make no mistake, he beat USC at USC almost single handedly. And he showed up Matt Barkley pretty bad despite Barkley having about a jillion times better supporting cast and an elite defense. Foles got in a groove towards the second half and became unstoppable, completing passes to each quadrant of the field with ease and making big throws on third down in the pocket and on the move. In terms of sheer arm talent, I don't think anyone in college can match Foles, not even Mallett given how slow he sets up. Foles reminds me of Carson Palmer in the way he throws.
In my opinion, Andrew Luck is far and away the best QB in college football right now. I would do anything and everything to get him on the Skins., but he's not really a Shanny kind of QB. But, then again, things change. Luck is on the level that I put Bradford last year except I like him a little bit more than Bradford.
I don't share your opinion on Luck at all. He's a talent because he's got a nice arm and can run but he is nowhere NEAR ready for the NFL yet. And I don't see how you could find his accuracy acceptable and criticize Locker for it. Luck was all over the place last season and had a poor completion % too. Luck had a crutch in Toby Gerhart carrying the ball 35 times a game and that's why he was able to win. Look back over his season and it was a lot of 190 yard games with 55% completions. His best game by far was the Arizona one, guess what, he was badly outplayed in it by Nick Foles. In that game too, Foles put on a clinic in pocket passing excellence while Luck looked slightly harried by a sub standard Arizona defense.

But my largest complaint about Luck was that his decision making was typical redshirt freshman quality and he's got a long way to go before he is even about half the accurate and talented decision maker that Sam Bradford was at a similar point in his college career. Don't get me wrong, I think Luck can certainly be better eventually than Bradford is because he's got better physical tools, but he's not there yet.

He's not the best QB prospect in college football. Right now, he's probably the third best one in the Pac 10 after Locker and Foles. He's probably just the most overhyped QB prospect in college football but I have a feeling he'll come back to earth this season on a crappy Stanford team with Gerhart in the NFL. He might be awesome by 2012 or 2013, and I think he will definitely improve, but it's too early to be talking about him as a legit first round prospect for this year.

It all depends on how everyone plays this season and who declares early. As of right now, though, if we couldn't get Luck, I wouldn't want any of these QBs in the first.
I get the general sense that Locker and Ponder are much farther along this season than Luck is. The kid is class of 2013, he's not coming out early. I don't know what about a redshirt freshman 2,000 yard, 13 TD, 56% passing season screams top 5 pick or even early entry. I think somewhere along the line, Todd McShay or Daniel Jeremiah ran a hair-brained 2011 draft profile on Luck on ESPN and the inertia from that has carried Luck's supposed stock to ridiculous heights without any real thought or analysis propelling it. Not even Sam Bradford came out after throwing 86 touchdowns his first two seasons and winning a Heisman. Luck's not coming out this year.
Stevemcqueen, sorry to bash every QB you love. Haha.
No worries, it's all in the spirit of debate and inquiry. I'd forgotten, but you and I don't typically see eye to eye on QBs. I remember us having extensive debates on Jimmy Clausen last season. Just to tweak your nose a bit, I remember that you liked him for us and I distinctly remember being of the opinion that he was a late first round to second round caliber quarterback that I didn't really like for us (even as Mel Kiper and Walterfootball hyped him up as a top 4 pick). Eventually, my camp was right about his draft status, but we're a long way from the book being written on his career. We'll have to follow him for a couple seasons to see which one of us was right on that call.

I don't think Blaine Gabbert or Andrew Luck are going to declare early. I do think Ryan Mallett will. If my choice was between all of the seniors and Ryan Mallett, I would choose Jake Locker for sure although I like Christian Ponder too. I am however leaving room for a fairly unheralded QB to break out this season and put his name in the hat with Locker's and Ponder's because I think we'll see something like that happen this year.

Now if Blaine Gabbert and Andrew Luck and Mallett all declare early, seeing as I'm the Chairman of the Blaine Grabbert Man-crush Comittee, Extremeskins chapter, I would choose Blaine Gabbert. Regardless, Gabbert is who I hope we are targeting in 2012. That's a long time from now though. Gabbert could stop progressing or even regress. There are also an incredible number other exciting prospects like Terrelle Pryor, Nick Foles, and maybe some untested ones like John Brantley and Dayne Crist. But since non of that has happened yet, I stand by my praise of Gabbert.

Assuming Mallett comes out in 2011, for 2012, my extremely early list of favorites is:

- Blaine Gabbert

- Andrew Luck

- Nick Foles

- Terrelle Pryor

- everyone else

Thanks - I dont see a lot of College football so these are just names to me. I'll see what I can find on them and take a look.

Personally I'm hoping we dont go QB next year and wait until 2012. I'd like to see us address OLB, NT, RG/C and WR next year in the draft and free agency and then load up to get our QB in 2012 to have him take over from McNabb in 2013.

Thanks - I dont see a lot of College football so these are just names to me. I'll see what I can find on them and take a look.

Personally I'm hoping we dont go QB next year and wait until 2012. I'd like to see us address OLB, NT, RG/C and WR next year in the draft and free agency and then load up to get our QB in 2012 to have him take over from McNabb in 2013.

If you can, try and watch some Mizzou games this year. Even if we never end up drafting him, Gabbert is just a fun player to watch.

I'm in agreement that I hope we don't target a QB until 2012 seeing as we're unlikely to be in position to draft Locker. But my reasoning is that the 2012 QB class is likely to be significantly stronger than 2011's. QB is a special position, if you're in position to draft a kid you think can be a franchise QB and you need one, you should always do it regardless of the surrounding talent you already have. OLB, NT, OL, and WR are positions where lots of great prospects typically come out every single year and all of them tend to develop much more quickly than QBs do. You can also get those kinds of player through trade and FA as some of the best at their positions hit the market that way. The draft is pretty much your one chance to get a franchise QB for a decade or more.

Besides, if we did draft a QB this year and he had to sit for a while behind McNabb, I don't think it'd be a huge issue. Aaron Rodgers sat for what 3 years? Phil Rivers for about that long? It seemed to do each a world of good. The sooner we get a stud young QB prospect in the fold, the better. I just think it's more likely we'll be in position to get an excellent prospect in 2012 since I don't see many juniors coming out early this year.

That's a good comparison of play style actually, but I didn't realize Patterson was that strong and he definitely doesn't share Paea's musculature. Patterson has a similar base, but he's soft around the middle and maxes out his frame at about 300. Paea is fairly toned and could probably stand to gain weight. I also don't think Patterson had Paea's upside at a similar point in his college career. Paea's only played football for five years and I think he's still got plenty of room to develop. He might not make an instant impact in the NFL, but I think he owns the higher ceiling.

I thought Patterson was very similar to Paea in his strength/explosiveness. Here is a link to an article quoting Patterson as having a 520 pound bench press and a 700 pound squat with a 34 inch vertical. The combine numbers looked more pedestrian however with 26 reps and a 32.5 inch vert.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Patterson,Mike-DT-USC.htm

Here is another analysis.

POSITIVES: Explosive interior lineman limited only by a lack of height. Gets off the snap with a great first step, plays with leverage and outstanding balance. Immediately changes direction, rarely off his feet and makes plays laterally, displaying good range. Consistently doubled in the middle of the line yet stout and holds the point. Possesses a burst of closing speed, flashes on the scene and very sudden. Excellent hand technician who displays an array of moves to stay off blocks. Tenacious and goes hard until the whistle blows.BTW, it's funny you should mention the Eagles front because I looked at them the other day and noticed the exact same thing. I think you can forget about the Vikings, I believe the Eagles have the most talented 4 man line in the league.

NEGATIVES: Has difficulty pitted against large blockers and swallowed up by opposing linemen.

ANALYSIS: A forceful defender who controls the line of scrimmage and disrupts the offense, Patterson offers an array of skills that project well to the next level. Comes off a terrific Senior Bowl in which he was unblockable most of the week and is rising up draft boards. Measurables will keep him out of the top 40 yet a prospect who will quickly earn playing time as a rookie in the NFL and go on to have a long and productive career.

As for Haslett and his love of size, you're on to something. He did make everyone bulk up and our current nose tackle candidates (Kemo, Bryant, and Green) are all over 360 pounds I think. That's too damn big though unless he wants to keep 8 or 9 linemen. I think it's better to have a nose that can run these days, even Terrence Cody looked great moving around in the preseason as big as he is. Let's hope Haslett doesn't view Paea's weight as an issue. If he looks good against the run then that really should be the end of it IMO.

That would be awesome. I don't know how we would make that happen, but it would be awesome. As much of a fan of Haynesworth's game as I am, I would swap him without hesitation for a draft pick that could get us Clayborn or Paea. We'd be better served by the youth and we could use our own pick for the other. We'd set ourselves up on defense, and free up our future drafts to get the best skill position players available. Quarterback in 2012?

I think he should keep Haynesworth. He may have been our best defender against the Jets, and was constantly penetrating into the backfield. We've had this conversation about him before about Shaun Rogers, but huge defensive linemen tend to produce well into their 30's. If we are going to try to win with McNabb, I'd expect that Al's shelf life is at least as long as Donovan's.

Romeus plays like a beast but I don't know about forcing him to bulk up. Certainly he has the length to, but in a year where there are plenty of natural 5 tech candidates near the top of the draft, wouldn't it be better off just letting Romeus pass to a 4-3 team? Maybe not, I'll have to sit down and really look at him against the others and think about how he might be able to grow and fit into a 3-4 scheme. It could be one of those situations where you keep him at his weight and play him as an OLB/DE Terrell Suggs style player in a multi look 3-4 front like the Ravens run. I wouldn't mind that kind of defense or player at all under those circumstances.

I don't think our RDE has to be as big. I wouldn't ask Romeus to bulk up too much. I also don't see him as a Suggs type player.

Heyward can surprise with his ability to penetrate. He's definitely not as good in that department as Clayborn, Dareus, or Romeus, but he's no Marcus Spears.

I wouldn't mind Heyward. That being said, we could also use a Marcus Pears like player for depth at Carriker's position.

When you see Bailey make a great play, it's something like him chasing down a quarterback for 25 yards at the speed of a bullet. It's not him sitting back and reading a play perfectly and blowing it up before it gets started like Clayborn or Paea does. It's phenomenal displays of athleticism rather than awareness. Bailey can only deal with single blocks and can't take over the LoS on his own--he needs great play from his surroundings to break the plays down for him to go and chase. A LB in a defensive tackles body? This may sound absurd but I wonder if his best NFL position wouldn't be as a monstrous ILB or OLB? It's what he played all of the way up until last year. Most guys are the other way around--better at DL than LB but Bailey is unique. He runs a 4.6 at 280 pounds which is faster than most linebackers anyway. Levan Kirkland was 280 pounds and only 6'1 and Haslett got to coach him. You could get Bailey to lose a bit of weight and he could become the smoothest and biggest ILB in the NFL.

I'd bet a ton of money that Bailey doesn't run a 4.6 officially, but your idea is really really interesting. Bailey might be a monster at OLB. He'd be like a rich man's Lorenzo Alexander. That is the kind of risk I would probably not take in the first round however.

As far as the QB conversation goes, I will mostly defer to you guys. I'm not a very good college QB evaluator. I will say however that I am confident that Mallet is a horrible fit for a WCO. His delivery is way worse than Campbell's was, and his accuracy is fairly poor as well. I really see him struggling in the pro's, and wouldn't touch him in the first or second round.

John Moffitt, G/C, Wisconsin

Justin Boren, G, Ohio State

Orlando Franklin, G/OT, Miami

those are some of the OG i will watch this year..

3-4OLB

Jack Crawford*, DE/OLB, Penn State

Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M

Akeem Ayers*, DE/OLB, UCLA

will also watch these players

John Moffitt, G/C, Wisconsin

Justin Boren, G, Ohio State

Orlando Franklin, G/OT, Miami

those are some of the OG i will watch this year..

3-4OLB

Jack Crawford*, DE/OLB, Penn State

Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M

Akeem Ayers*, DE/OLB, UCLA

will also watch these players

I think you have to also add two guys to that list Rodney Hudson as mentioned many a time by people in the thread and also Sam Acho from Texas someone who I think will have a breakout year which is good for someone who was rated high coming out of college but never put it all together

Hudson i know is highly rated but i like the other guys size over his.. it may not be much but the other guys have gerth..

True but Hudson has the base and the ability to be one of the top end guards in the NFL. As Steve pointed out earlier he has good size not great size but his pass protection is a thing of work to watch, his base is great and he has good hand placement. While not a big guy he's going to be one of the best in the NFL in 5 years no doubt about in my mind

There's been some talk about the weakness of the 2011 RB class, and I think it's generally true. I've also mentioned that the 2009 and 2010 RB classes were pretty weak at the top. I'm skeptical that Ryan Williams will declare early for the draft this year with two years of eligibility left, especially since he'll probably have to split his carries with Darren Evans now.

So assuming that this isn't a good year to look for a RB, I wanted to look ahead to future classes and I'll go ahead and say that the RB drought will probably end by next season. The RB class of 2013 is absolutely stunning at the top. It should form the most talented group of first round caliber RB prospects since 2008 and set the tone for RB classes for the new decade. In fact, I think the top backs of the 2013 class have a chance to be better pros than the superb McFadden/Stewart/Johnson/Mendenhall/Jones first round group of 2008. Take a look at the top 5 names according to CBSsports:

1. Ryan Williams, VT

2. Trent Richardson, Alabama

3. Dion Lewis, Pitt

4. Bryce Brown, Kansas St

5. LaMichael James, Oregon

That's a ridiculously talented group and I would gladly take any of them. Will any of them wait until 2013? Brown would be the only one who I think even remotely has a chance of playing out his eligibility since he's got to sit this season out and he didn't produce all that much last year. I doubt it though. When he finally gets to play in 2011, I bet he puts up a monstrous season and goes ahead and comes out. And by the end of the 2011 season, the other four guys I mentioned should all be near the top of their schools' career rushing lists.

So basically, I'm saying that I think we should wait until the 2012 draft class to look for a RB given this year's class' relative weakness and that one's probable strength. That class will be too top heavy for all of them to go in the first.

Stephen Paea and Dont'a Hightower in the first two rounds this year. Blaine Gabbert and Bryce Brown in the first two in 2012 FTW!!! Here's my campaign slogan: Wouldn't it be nice to spend the two thousand teens in the playoffs?

4. Bryce Brown, Kansas St

Until Brown has a more notable accomplishment than being the top recruit in 2009, he is Joe McKnight lite.

There are so many question marks surrounding him, that if his name was not Bryce Brown, he and his sub-500 yards rushing would be no where on this list.

There are so many other freshman and sophmores who have far superior resumes, hell, he wasn't even in the top 3 most impressive freshman RBs in the SEC (I would put Ealey, Norman and McCalebb ahead of Brown).

We may have to get the Comprehensive Scouting 2011 thread going soon if this is going to take off.

Anyway, for my money, if we do well this season and have a later 1st round pick, my blind homer choice is Stefen Wisneiwski. He plays a position of need for us, RG, and has also shown the ability to play Center, he has garnered Big Ten honors at both positions. Also a straight A student.

So in addition to being smart and 1st Team All conference capable at two positions that we have needs at, he also has the pedigree. His father, Leo Wisniewski, played three years in the NFL. His uncle might sound more familiar...Steve Wisniewski, 13 seasons, 8 pro bowls, named to the 1990's all decade team.

The kid has every tool to succeed in the NFL and would strengthen the interior of our O-line.

Archived