Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Not just written off, he so loathed Groh, he quit the team last season, and London has to asked him to rejoin after he was hired. As a UVA alum, I'm excited for Payne, but I have no illusions of him being a viable option at the next level.

And no, just no to Verica.

With Payne, I just think if he can continue what he did against Richmond( I know a I-AA school, but still one of the best in IAA) then he could be someone drafted late. I thought Jason Snelling wasn't going to last this long in the league and he has for Atlanta. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Payne though as the year goes on. Verica I will agree right now no dont even draft him I was just projecting as if he kept up a solid year he could be someone people look at 6th or 7th round to be a possible backup.

I'm going to get cracking on more defensive front seven profiles over the next few weeks and get us a nice set of evaluations on all the top prospects that I can find information about. I've tremendously enjoyed reading and studying about 3-4 DEs, NTs, and LBs, but there are some terrific prospects for the other position groups out there as well.

I wanted to change gears real quick and mention a few names of offensive linemen from the SEC who could be a nice fit here in our ZBS. The more I see of Arkansas' LT DeMarcus Love, the more I like. I think he's got the footspeed and flexibility, as well as the nastiness to play either tackle spot in the NFL and he looks like he could be a perfect fit at RT in a ZBS. He should be on our radar if Jammal Brown's health doesn't hold up. Right now the OT group is so unsorted that Love could very well be the top OT in the class though. Overall, he looks like a decent potential first round pick.

Clint Boling from UGA is another player I really like for a ZBS, particularly at guard. He doesn't typically play with a strong base, but he's quick off the snap and moves very well laterally for his height. He has a high motor and plays smart. His footspeed isn't elite though, most people think he projects best as a guard in the NFL. That's where I think he could do us the most good. There are a lot of really good guard prospects in this year's class, so I think they could push Boling down the draft. He could be someone to look out for in the 4th or 5th rounds as a developmental ZBS guard with solid starting potential.

Lastly, I like Mike Pouncey as either a guard or center prospect for our scheme. It remains to be seen whether he'll be as sharp as his brother with all the mental keys of playing center, but he shares his athleticism and explosion. With a good year, I think he can solidify himself as a day 1 starter like his brother did.

Just for craps and giggles, I wanted to say my predictions for the big 6 conference winners plus give a sleeper team.

ACC

Winner: Virginia Tech - The widespread favorite, a very 2005 Auburnesque formula for success

Sleeper: Georgia Tech - Not much of a sleeper since they won it last year. They're only slightly worse than they were last season, I don't think anyone will really challenge them or VT for the conference

Big East

Winner: Rutgers - I like their QB situation better than Pitt's and their coaching situation better than Cincinnati's

Sleeper: Uconn - Far more talented that you would think. I think they'll surprise this year

Big Ten

Winner: Ohio State - Straightforward projection. They look loaded and Pryor is better than Stanzi

Sleeper: Michigan State - Iowa will probably be runners up, but Michigan St is talented on offense and defense and has a solid QB

Big Twelve

Winner: Oklahoma - Lance Jones should get off to a better start than Garrett Gilbert and I like his supporting cast a lot more

Sleeper: Missouri - Great QB and a great defensive line. Kansas State looks good too

Pac Ten

Winner: Oregon - they're loaded and the conference looks weakened, I think they'll easily repeat

Sleeper: Arizona - I like Oregon State's defense and running game and I like Cal's passing game, but Arizona has them both and Foles/Grigsby is probably the best QB/RB combo in the conference

SEC

Winner: Alabama - Too much talent and experience

Sleeper: Auburn or Arkansas - they look like the only teams capable of pushing Alabama this year. Great quarterbacks and good defenses, the SEC west will be brutal.

Just to get back to talking about prospects, I'm going to put up my first decent ranking of the nose tackle position for 2011.

1. Stephen Paea, Oregon St. (top 20 pick)

He's not quite the prototype for the position, but he has a rare, all around skill set that makes him a great fit in an attacking, one gap scheme. He brings far more to the table as a pass rusher than nose tackles typically do.

2. Jerrell Powe, Mississippi (top 25 pick)

He is the prototype for the position and would probably be a better fit in a 2 gapping scheme than Paea. He's got his weight under control now, and is the perfect, wide bodied defender to play nose in our 3-4. He's explosive and is a better pass rusher than most. He looks far more versatile than Dan Williams from last year as he can stay on the field for third down.

3. Kenrick Ellis, Hampton (2nd round pick)

He was a former top recruit for South Carolina. Chad Reuter compares him to Linval Joseph as a wide body that looks good attacking up field. I like NTs that can clog run lanes AND pass rush, it's the latter quality that gives him his high draft value. He's a really good athlete for his size, If he's clean in his character evaluation, he could be a really nice consolation prize if we're unable to draft either Paea or Powe.

4. Phil Taylor, Baylor (mid round pick)

He's an enormous NT prospect with rare base strength. He looks immovable at the PoA against the run, but he's pretty raw and doesn't offer much in the way of a pass rush. He needs to improve his instincts and ability to get off blocks and make the play. He's flashed a lot of ability at times and disappeared at others. Overall, he looks like a 2 gapping NT prospect that you can work with if your scheme doesn't call for a lot of movement from the position.

5. Lawton Scott, Mississippi (mid-late round pick)

He's another big NT prospect from Ole Miss, but he doesn't have near Powe's level of explosiveness or athleticism. He plays very strong against the run though and looks very comfortable controlling blockers and sitting in his gap. He looks a little sloppy though, weight could be an issue. He'd also have to come off on passing downs as he lacks the ability to penetrate.

6. Ian Williams, Notre Dame (mid-late round pick)

He's got a nice first step and plays with good motor but he is undersized in ND's 3-4 defense as the nose. His base isn't very big and he looks like he'd struggle to hold his ground against the run in a 2 gapping 3-4 scheme. But he's a smart and athletic player that could possibly fit into a stunting 1 gap scheme like the Ravens occasionally run.

Just to get back to talking about prospects, I'm going to put up my first decent ranking of the nose tackle position for 2011.

1. Stephen Paea, Oregon St. (top 20 pick)

He's not quite the prototype for the position, but he has a rare, all around skill set that makes him a great fit in an attacking, one gap scheme. He brings far more to the table as a pass rusher than nose tackles typically do.

2. Jerrell Powe, Mississippi (top 25 pick)

He is the prototype for the position and would probably be a better fit in a 2 gapping scheme than Paea. He's got his weight under control now, and is the perfect, wide bodied defender to play nose in our 3-4. He's explosive and is a better pass rusher than most. He looks far more versatile than Dan Williams from last year as he can stay on the field for third down.

3. Kenrick Ellis, Hampton (2nd round pick)

He was a former top recruit for South Carolina. Chad Reuter compares him to Linval Joseph as a wide body that looks good attacking up field. I like NTs that can clog run lanes AND pass rush, it's the latter quality that gives him his high draft value. He's a really good athlete for his size, If he's clean in his character evaluation, he could be a really nice consolation prize if we're unable to draft either Paea or Powe.

4. Phil Taylor, Baylor (mid round pick)

He's an enormous NT prospect with rare base strength. He looks immovable at the PoA against the run, but he's pretty raw and doesn't offer much in the way of a pass rush. He needs to improve his instincts and ability to get off blocks and make the play. He's flashed a lot of ability at times and disappeared at others. Overall, he looks like a 2 gapping NT prospect that you can work with if your scheme doesn't call for a lot of movement from the position.

5. Lawton Scott, Mississippi (mid-late round pick)

He's another big NT prospect from Ole Miss, but he doesn't have near Powe's level of explosiveness or athleticism. He plays very strong against the run though and looks very comfortable controlling blockers and sitting in his gap. He looks a little sloppy though, weight could be an issue. He'd also have to come off on passing downs as he lacks the ability to penetrate.

6. Ian Williams, Notre Dame (mid-late round pick)

He's got a nice first step and plays with good motor but he is undersized in ND's 3-4 defense as the nose. His base isn't very big and he looks like he'd struggle to hold his ground against the run in a 2 gapping 3-4 scheme. But he's a smart and athletic player that could possibly fit into a stunting 1 gap scheme like the Ravens occasionally run.

Who would you compare Paea to? I'm thinking Jay Ratliff when I've seen the little film of him. I want to say Ngata but he's not the same size and a better pass rusher so thats why I say Ratliff

Who would you compare Paea to? I'm thinking Jay Ratliff when I've seen the little film of him. I want to say Ngata but he's not the same size and a better pass rusher so thats why I say Ratliff

No I don't think Jay Ratliff is quite right either. Ratliff is much longer and he's not nearly as strong as Paea is.

Haloti Ngata is still the best comparison for Paea despite the very large difference in their size. Ngata is long and heavy but he's rangy, explosively strong, and has a nice first step. Those are the three defining qualities of Paea. I daresay there isn't another NT in the NFL quite like Paea. Maybe Darnell Dockett is he was a tiny bit shorter and heavier. Paea's ideal position might actually be 3 technique like Glenn Dorsey's but he's a lot stronger than Dorsey was. I stand by my contention that Paea could play NT in our scheme as long as we didn't ask him to bear down stationary in his stance in a gap every single play and used him on passing downs. Otherwise we'd be wasting him.

In the end, we might need to look past Paea for Powe for finding a pure scheme fit. I'd be OK with that as long as Powe's character checks out alright. He draws a lot of comparison's to B.J. Raji and that's something we could certainly work with.

For those that watched the Boise State - Va Tech game, what are your thoughts on Austin Pettis?

He went 6 rec 73 yards 12.2 YPC and 2 TD's.

To me he seems like a prototypcal big bodied possesion WR/redzone target. He may not have the top end speed to continually get behind defenses but his hands and route running are pretty well developed for a college player. He is their move the chains guy while Titus Young is the speed/deep threat.

For those that watched the Boise State - Va Tech game, what are your thoughts on Austin Pettis?

He went 6 rec 73 yards 12.2 YPC and 2 TD's.

I thought he was impressive in the game. Like Warpath said he's not the speed guy but possession wise he's a good one and one I would look at with a pick if we had a mid round pick via trade or something

I know some of us are down on Julio Jones as a receiving prospect this year, but I actually wanted to give him some praise as a prospect. While I don't think he's a great value in the top ten, I do think he belongs in the top twenty based on his skill set.

As I see it, his weaknesses are:

- Inconsistency of hands: drops a lot of passes, especially for a top college receiver

- Inconsistency of effort: allows much smaller defenders to out muscle him like Joe Haden did. That should never happen to a receiver with his frame.

- Lacks precision on his intermediate routes and is a step slow out of his breaks

- Poor level of production last season.

- Lacks an elite top gear.

His strengths are so many though:

- Natural plucker, could have great hands with better concentration

- Looks good tracking the ball in the open field

- Powerful frame and usually isn't afraid to use it

- Natural run after the catch vision and ability

- Looks very good running underneath routes

- Terrific leaper

That's a Brandon Marshall skillset. If he runs a 4.4 40 yard dash, I'd say he could do some of the things Andre Johnson does for the Texans. With concentration, I think Jones has the ability to be a legit #1 NFL wide receiver and a 100 catch player.

Consequently, I'm also warming up to Michael Floyd as a prospect. My concerns with him last year were that he didn't have a ton of long speed and I thought he might have injury problems. Plus I didn't care for ND's dink and dunk offense but Floyd sports an impressive YPC so he makes lots of plays after the catch.

I like what I've seen of him though, and I think he might be the most NFL ready receiver of the top four in the class. He's got great quicks for a big receiver and very soft hands and attacks the ball well while it's in the air. I like how instinctive he is at finding seams and he's just a very nice route runner in general. He's also got terrific size for the position. He's what Damian Williams could have been as a prospect if he'd had elite NFL size. If Floyd can stay healthy, I think he might be the safest first round WR prospect of the bunch.

I like Floyd too. He has amazing hands.

Julio looks much bigger and stronger this year and that one handed catch he made saturday was amazing. How tall his Julio though? Because I'd like the skins to pick up a taller receiver (maybe 6-3 or up)

He's 6'4 and looks like he's about 220. He's not much smaller than Baldwin is. Floyd is big too, he's about 6'3 and is listed around 230 although he looks sloppier than the others. Jones is actually the smallest one of the bunch. He's listed at 6'4 but he's lanky. He'll have to add some weight to fill out his frame.

He's 6'4 and looks like he's about 220. He's not much smaller than Baldwin is. Floyd is big too, he's about 6'3 and is listed around 230 although he looks sloppier than the others. Jones is actually the smallest one of the bunch. He's listed at 6'4 but he's lanky. He'll have to add some weight to fill out his frame.

Floyd looks smaller though on film but your right he's actually a pretty big guy 6'3 is a good size for a WR and someone who can be the #2 or #1 depending on how you use him in the offense

Allen Bailey, DL, Miami

Senior, 6'4", 285 lbs.

allenbailey.jpg

Boy are we in for a treat with Allen Bailey because he's got not one, not two, but three games worth of cutups on youtube for our viewing pleasure. As for some background on Bailey, he's got a Paul Bunyan like personal legend growing for himself. I wrote a very long evaluation of him last year, so if you're interested in reading up on him, here's the post: http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6898235&postcount=40

Here's the short version of his backstory: blah blah grew up in tiny Gullah town of Sapelo Island Georgia, blah blah had to row across a swamp to the mainland to play football, blah blah freakish natural abilities, blah blah stud MLB recruit in H.S., blah blah once killed an Alligator with a shovel.

That's the gist of it. It really is a fascinating life story if you care to read my old post and check out the links to ESPN articles I included. If not, on to the youtube videos:

vs. GT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkxO8qcM5lk

vs. FSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-A6SlfWKPo

vs. Wake Forest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQvcXWLQKyk&NR=1

In two of the games (FSU and GT), Bailey plays mostly inside as a 3 technique and he looks most comfortable in this position. In the Wake Forest game, Bailey clearly struggles a bit playing out on the TE in a 7 and 9 technique. Chalk it up to positional unfamiliarity. He's been moved around at Miami so much that he's never had a chance to find a home position. From an athletic standpoint, he's clearly capable of playing DE in a 4-3. But I'd say he lacks the instincts and recognition skills to do it at this juncture. He's probably a better fit in the interior at a 3, 4, and 5 technique in our scheme.

The first thing that jumps out at one from the videos is Bailey's frame. He's a taller, faster Brodrick Bunkley with even less body fat. He's got a broad, barrel chest, big bubble, and thick legs. He has a condor-like wingspan which is one of the longest I've ever seen, and he's got enormous hands that look like they could palm watermelons. Suffice to say, he has a unique body type.

The second thing that jumps out from the videos is Bailey's dominating speed and strength. I was able to pick up from those short clips that he's got an elite first step and does a good job anticipating the snap count on occasion (watch him jump the snap at 1:30 in the FSU video). He can fire out of his stance incredibly fast and plays with great pad level and arm extension. However, he looks off on some of the snap counts and is too slow out of his stance, especially when we see how blazing fast he can be with the proper anticipation. I've said before that I worried about his disappearing in games, and I think a failure to read his run/pass keys might be the culprit as he takes himself out of plays. Watch how Florida State runs the exact same running play twice in a row on him and he's slow to fill the gap both times from hesitation. Bailey looks like he still has LB instincts. He'll need to show this year that he's settled into his role as a defensive lineman and make some strides in his recognition skills. Still I will say that he generally looks very good locating the ball in the backfield, and he made some really nice heads-up plays against a tricky GT running offense. I think it's only a matter of time and repetition before he develops the awareness to consistently make an impact at his position.

However, when Bailey is on, he's dominating. He's got heavy hands and uses them well to sort through blocks. He is very good at stacking and shedding his blockers and he makes big linemen look impotent. He gives up no ground in the running game because he plays with such flexibility and base strength, and is capable of disengaging blocks at will most of the time (although he can struggle with this when asked to get up field). I believe he could be a phenomenal two gap run defender with some polish.

Bailey also an explosive tackler. I'm not sure I've seen a defensive lineman so good at making plays away from his frame except for Ndamukong Suh. And Bailey can break down in an instant in the open field and hit like a linebacker. He's so incredibly strong, once he wraps up ball carriers cannot break his tackles--he makes some plays with his hands and wingspan alone. He can also lay the wood when he gets a bead on a QB and he nearly flattened poor Riley Skinner. He looks fantastic in pursuit and he's got sideline to sideline range... as a defensive tackle. I also love the heads up way he protects his legs from cut blocks. His strength and balance are such that you never see him get taken off his feet. I'm pretty sure I watched a blocker in one of the videos try and crack him and Bailey just shrugged him off like a fly.

As far as pass rushing goes, I don't think he's got the ability to consistently bend the edge and use speed to loop wide to the QB. He has to use angles to get to the QB. Sometimes this leads him to break containment and opens up the cutback on his side for misdirection plays. It also leaves a lot of room for mobile QBs to run through once they escape the pocket. He's got a terrifying bullrush, but aside from that, he doesn't really have a repertoire of pass rushing moves. I want to see him develop his swat and rip moves more and show some counter moves. Lacking speed to threaten the edge is not a big deal though considering his position. He still manages to get good penetration on passing plays, especially if you project him as an end in a 3-4 front.

What does he entail for us?

I think he's a great candidate to play end in our defense. He'd be able to play all of our downs in all of our formations because of his versatility. He can two gap and anchor against the run, stack and shed, play laterally, shoot gaps, stunt, drop into zones, and he can pass rush. Basically, if you can draw up a responsibility for a lineman, he could do it. I also wouldn't hesitate to play him in a one technique on occasion. The key with Bailey will be patience. He's a smart player with a wonderful attitude and a great work ethic, but he hasn't had the time to develop as other prospects like Adrian Clayborn have. He might have a quiet rookie season, but is the type of player that in a few seasons, could blossom into an impact player much like Darrelle Revis did for the Jets.

There is no question Bailey own's the highest ceiling of any of the 3-4 lineman in this year's outstanding class. He's a top 25 pick based on potential alone. He's got some really good film out on him and he's already shown plenty of flashes as a dominant run defender. His footspeed and strength are such that he could develop into a truly threatening pass rusher as well with work. I don't know how much credence to put into his alleged 40 yard dash times. Apparently he ran a 4.6 at Miami once, but I don't know if that was when he was at LB or DT weight. If I had to guess, I'd say he's more likely to run in the 4.8-4.9 range now, which is very fast. And even if he does nothing else but become a dominant two gap stack and shed run defender in our front, he'd be well worth our first round pick.

As of now, I still have to rank Bailey behind Adrian Clayborn as a potential 5 technique. But after giving him another look, I'm comfortable ranking Bailey ahead of Cameron Heyward and Marcel Dareus as the second best 3-4 DE in the class. Heyward is more hot and cold than Bailey and I see Dareus as a better fit as a 3 technique in a 4-3 front, or playing 5 technique in a one gapping, attacking front just like I did for Gerald McCoy last season. All in all I'd rank Bailey 4th or 5th among 34 front seven talent. Were I looking specifically at front seven players, I'd take him if Robert Quinn, Adrian Clayborn, Stephen Paea, and possibly Jerrell Powe were all off the board. All in all, he'd be a vital addition to our defense, especially if Mr. Haynesworth gets dumped for 30 cents on the dollar.

I'm liking Kellen moore. IF the guy goes into the draft in 2011. He looks like a solid prospect. Driving on VT in one minute to win the game is no easy task.

ManCrush activated

Reminds me of Jake Plummer

My only beef with Moore is that he's slow as syrup (which I guarantee Shanahan doesn't like if he watched him, Shanahan needs QBs who are active on roll outs, bootlegs, etc.), and his arm is fairly weak.

I don't see him being able to make all the NFL throws, particularly outside the hashes.

Great head on his shoulders though. But physically he just doesn't seem to be all there for an NFL starting level QB, at least as a "franchise" type of guy.

My only beef with Moore is that he's slow as syrup (which I guarantee Shanahan doesn't like if he watched him, Shanahan needs QBs who are active on roll outs, bootlegs, etc.), and his arm is fairly weak.

I don't see him being able to make all the NFL throws, particularly outside the hashes.

Great head on his shoulders though. But physically he just doesn't seem to be all there for an NFL starting level QB, at least as a "franchise" type of guy.

If we're looking truly at mobility and arm strength then we have to look at 4 guys. Jake Locker, Andrew Luck, Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton. Dalton is now my man crush QB after watching him against a good Oregon State defense put up a good game I'm convinced that with some work and some fine tuning he can be a starting QB in the NFL. He has very good mobility and from all the film I've seen of him he has the arm strength to make all the throws. I can see him being a 3rd or 4th round pick based on how he'll need a little work but he's the got the potential to be a mid round guy who starts in the NFL after a year or two

He's tiny and doesn't have an NFL caliber arm. He might crack 6' in his cleats, but 170 pounds is about 50 too few. He's smart, coach's son and all that, but I don't think he's got a future in the NFL.

He's tiny and doesn't have an NFL caliber arm. He might crack 6' in his cleats, but 170 pounds is about 50 too few. He's smart, coach's son and all that, but I don't think he's got a future in the NFL.

Agreed.

I've already seen comparisons, just from last night, to being a weaker-armed Matt Leinart.

I think he's smart enough to maybe be a decent backup after some development, but his arm strength is going to ultimately limit him. He really had to wind up just to throw a 15 yard pass down the seam.

Of course he's not 1st round/ 2nd round material.

He reminds me a lot jake plummer, I think he would be a great prospect for Shanny.

Instead of Beck. But I'm not saying he should start.

He just won me over with that minute drive to win the game. A lot of people jumped on his bandwagon after that game. It was impressive

I'm officially on the Christian Ponder bandwagon I think.

What do y'all think about Dayne Crist?

And are there any small school QB's we should watch out for this year?

small school wise I would talk about Nathan Enderle the QB from Idaho as a small school guy who could blow up and be someone to be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round based on potential

In the USC-Hawaii game, there are two linemen for USC we may want to pay attention to. The first is Kris O'Dowd, the USC center, supposed to be the main competition with Wisniewski at Penn State for best center prospect in the draft.

Looks like Walterfootball.com took a few plays from each of these guys and gave their analysis.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutsnotebook100905_2.php

Kris O'Dowd

1st - 12:25 - Good job bending at knees and getting in DTs pads ... understood the angle on this stretch run

1st - 10:42 - Nice strength and toughness on this play ... tenacious block

1st - 6:04 - Good job anchoring

1st - 4:19 - Oustanding strength and strong hands on this play ... physical blocker with pancake

1st - 3:53 - Good job getting to second level , shows some athleticism but could have done a better job sealing off angle

1st - 2:48 - Could be more low to ground ... very physical and strong, gets outstanding push in run game.

2nd - 13:08 - Smooth athlete in getting to 2nd level

3rd - 14:55 - Good leverage, nice hand use, very strong and gets push

The other is the USC D-Tackle, Jurrell Casey. He may be a bit undersized for the nose, but someone take a look at him anyway and let me know what you think.

Jurrell Casey

1st - 14:34 - Great job staying low getting leverage ... quick hands ... nice motor ... very good athleticism and agility in pursuit

1st - 8:38 - Quick hands off snap on swim move ... gets penetration ... very quick athlete with nice agility

2nd 10:23 - Heavy hands and controls well ... gets some power at POA ... disruptive

2nd - 9:34 - Strong hands and very good quickness off snap ... stays low to generate power ... disruptive up middle forcing QB out of pocket

2nd - 4:02 - When he gets stuck, Casey does a good job of making a counter move. He understands pass rushing.

3rd - 8:55 - Displays elite flexibility and coordination on this play ... disrupts and is able to bend waist and lower shoulder to get to QB.

3rd - 8:06 - Disruptive, great motor, gives 100 percent and forces QB out of pocket

I have to tell you Oldskool I was shocked that O'Dowd didn't come out last year. I had him as a late 1st to early 2nd round pick. With Wisniewski at Penn State and O'Dowd that is one nice C group to look at. Almost similar to Alex Mack and Eric Wood a couple of years ago

He was dinged up last year and I think that he wanted to give a better showing before he went pro. I also don't think that he was physically mature enough either.

If he stays healthy and continues to develop, he could be a late 1st/2nd round selection. He'd have to go to the right system as well. He isn't a beast of a center and has a bit of a finesse game to him.

Archived