Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Thanks. I'd be more than happy if we get one of those two. They both made some big time catches in the game.

Young is another sub 6 foot WR with some wheels. Not sure if Shanny would want more of those with Moss, Armstrong, Banks and Thomas on the roster. Pettis is a legit split end and has NFL talent IMO.

Young is another sub 6 foot WR with some wheels. Not sure if Shanny would want more of those with Moss, Armstrong, Banks and Thomas on the roster. Pettis is a legit split end and has NFL talent IMO.

Between Young and Pettis, I would pick Pettis every time. The guy makes big catches and has the size to be a split end in the NFL no doubt about it

Would he be a better OLB or ILB in our system? And if he's really that fast, could he turn into a RB if we need that?

I'd say OLB because that's what he plays now although he could probably swing inside. I wouldn't move him though--he needs to be rushing the passer as often as possible.

I don't know why we'd want to move him to RB, especially if he's a second round pick. His gift is for hitting quarterbacks and OLB is a more valuable position than RB anyway.

Two DT/DEs who have really impressed me tonight in this MSU/AU game are Nick Fairley on Auburn (DT 6-5 298 JR) and Pernell McPhee on Miss St (DT 6-4 285 SR). Fairley has shown fantastic penetration and McPhee, who was pre-season all SEC, has looked smart, showing great contain and commitment. Would love your thoughts on either, but particularly if you think McPhee could be effective in the 3-4.

Dontay Moch, LB, Nevada

RS Senior, 6'1", 245 lbs.

get_image?provider_id=554&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=6001483

Moch is a speed merchant, plain and simple, but the reason he’s such a great prospect is because he actually produces. When Moch gets drafted, he’ll become the fastest player in the NFL and one of the fastest in the history of the league. He was a 100 and 200 meter state champion in high school, and apparently he ran 40 yard dash times of 4.08 and 4.18 at a Nevada pro day last year: http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/24466/dontay-moch-non-aq-hybrid-defender I doubt he’ll run that fast at the combine, but what’s a conservative estimate for that kind of speed? A 4.35? Anyone who consistently runs a sub 4.3 second 40 yard dash at over 235 pounds deserves a look in the NFL. But Moch has also been extremely productive as a pass rusher the past two seasons. In 2008 and 2009, he is credited with 11.5 sacks, 15 TFL and 6.5 sacks, 20 TFL respectively. The sack total went down last year once he became the focus of attention, but 18 sacks and 35 TFL in two years as a starter ain’t bad at all. It gets better though. As you can see from that article I linked to, Nevada switched to a 3-4 defense this season and moved him back to linebacker. We’ll actually get to see him play his best NFL position--how he fares in coverage, playing off the line, and rushing while standing up.

vs. Missouri (2009): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gtsE4RxIt4

I haven't had time to post much, but have been reading the thread, so thanks for the updates guys. I think you're being overly optimistic about this guy, mcqueen. Looking at his tape, there is no way he is going to run a 4.35. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him, but I don't think he looks as fast or as explosive out of his stance as Robert Quinn, or Von Miller, and there is just no way that he is faster than Laron Landry, Carlos Rogers, or Deangelo Hall. Even if his track speed is fantastic, he doesn't seem to play extraordinarily fast, and he looks like the type of guy that is going to get engulfed by long armed NFL tackles. How many elite 3-4 OLB's in the last 10 years have been 6'1" and 245? Although I am sure there are more, I can only think of two, James Harrison and Elvis Dumervil. Dumervil has elite hand use and a variety of moves that I didn't see any sign of in Moch's tape, and Harrison is a once in a generation player who overcame poor measureables to finally succeed as a veteran after having been cut multiple times by multiple teams that are great evaluators of 3-4 talent. It is really, really hard to get by as a pass rusher as a pure speed guy. Ask the ghost of Gaines Adams. I'd feel way better about taking Bruce Miller out of UCF, who has been more productive, is much, much stronger, can bull rush, stack and shed, and is very good with his hands.

In terms of last weekend's college games. I watched both Gabbert and Locker, and wasn't blown away by either. Gabbert has a good arm and is mobile, but he does have an elongated throwing motion, and that is a very pure spread he runs, nothing like the mixed spread/pro that Sam Bradford ran. The thing that really bothers me about Gabbert is that he did very little work in the pocket. When facing pressure, he almost always escaped to the outside rather than stepping up. Also, Gabbert seemed to throw mostly to the outside, reminiscent of Jimmy Clausen. I saw very few posts etc.

Locker on the other hand seemed to have a much more compact and ideal motion, and looked much better in the pocket. He also seemed better working the field, but whatever, "it" is, I'm not sure that Locker has, "it". He was poor on third downs and had a chance to win in the 4th quarter, but couldn't pull it out. As much as everyone said that this year was going to be a better year at the QB position, I still don't htink that Gabbert or Locker is nearly the prospect that Bradford was.

I also watched every defensive play in Iowa's game and was impressed but not overwhelmed with Clayborn. He had multiple pressures, but was nowhere near as dominant as Suh was in the game's I watched last year. The one thing I will say about Clayborn is that he seemed to play two gap on run downs, which should make him easier to evaluate for a 3-4 DE. His awareness is also excellent, and he is great at stacking and shedding and making plays in the run game.

In terms of this weekend's games, I'll be watching:

Allen Bailey vs Cameron Heyward in Ohio State vs Miami

Christian Ponder in FSU vs OSU

Jerell Powe in Ole Miss vs Tulane

Bruce Miller UCF vs NC State

Any other suggestions from the forum?

I haven't had time to post much, but have been reading the thread, so thanks for the updates guys. I think you're being overly optimistic about this guy, mcqueen. Looking at his tape, there is no way he is going to run a 4.35. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him, but I don't think he looks as fast or as explosive out of his stance as Robert Quinn, or Von Miller, and there is just no way that he is faster than Laron Landry, Carlos Rogers, or Deangelo Hall. Even if his track speed is fantastic, he doesn't seem to play extraordinarily fast, and he looks like the type of guy that is going to get engulfed by long armed NFL tackles. How many elite 3-4 OLB's in the last 10 years have been 6'1" and 245? Although I am sure there are more, I can only think of two, James Harrison and Elvis Dumervil. Dumervil has elite hand use and a variety of moves that I didn't see any sign of in Moch's tape, and Harrison is a once in a generation player who overcame poor measureables to finally succeed as a veteran after having been cut multiple times by multiple teams that are great evaluators of 3-4 talent. It is really, really hard to get by as a pass rusher as a pure speed guy. Ask the ghost of Gaines Adams. I'd feel way better about taking Bruce Miller out of UCF, who has been more productive, is much, much stronger, can bull rush, stack and shed, and is very good with his hands.

In terms of last weekend's college games. I watched both Gabbert and Locker, and wasn't blown away by either. Gabbert has a good arm and is mobile, but he does have an elongated throwing motion, and that is a very pure spread he runs, nothing like the mixed spread/pro that Sam Bradford ran. The thing that really bothers me about Gabbert is that he did very little work in the pocket. When facing pressure, he almost always escaped to the outside rather than stepping up. Also, Gabbert seemed to throw mostly to the outside, reminiscent of Jimmy Clausen. I saw very few posts etc.

Locker on the other hand seemed to have a much more compact and ideal motion, and looked much better in the pocket. He also seemed better working the field, but whatever, "it" is, I'm not sure that Locker has, "it". He was poor on third downs and had a chance to win in the 4th quarter, but couldn't pull it out. As much as everyone said that this year was going to be a better year at the QB position, I still don't htink that Gabbert or Locker is nearly the prospect that Bradford was.

I also watched every defensive play in Iowa's game and was impressed but not overwhelmed with Clayborn. He had multiple pressures, but was nowhere near as dominant as Suh was in the game's I watched last year. The one thing I will say about Clayborn is that he seemed to play two gap on run downs, which should make him easier to evaluate for a 3-4 DE. His awareness is also excellent, and he is great at stacking and shedding and making plays in the run game.

In terms of this weekend's games, I'll be watching:

Allen Bailey vs Cameron Heyward in Ohio State vs Miami

Christian Ponder in FSU vs OSU

Jerell Powe in Ole Miss vs Tulane

Bruce Miller UCF vs NC State

Any other suggestions from the forum?

Ricky Elmore vs Citadel. I know its the Citadel but keep an eye on Elmore, he has the right size for a OLB in the 3-4 and reminds me a lot of Paul Kruger when he was a star at Utah. If Elmore can put up a big year and then do well at the combine then I can see him being a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

Since UVA is playing USCal, the game should be on locally up there, I would again take a look at the SC OL and front 7 if you're staying up late (10:30 pm kickoff):

Nick Perry: OLB/DE

Chris Galippo: ILB

Jurrell Casey: DT/NT

Kris O'Dowd: C

Zach Heberer: G

When you are watching the marque games this weekend, besides those players you mentioned, I'd keep an eye on the following:

12:00 pm: UGA (OT Clint Bolling, OG Cordy Glenn, OLB Justin Houston) at USCar (CB/FS Chris Culliver, DT Travian Robertson, , DE/OLB Cliff Matthews)

3:30 pm: FSU (OG Rodney Hudson) at OU (FS Quinton Carter, RB DeMarco Murray)

3:40 pm: UM (OT/OG Orlando Franklin) at OSU (RB Brandon Saine, WR DeVier Posey)

7:00 pm: PSU (C/OG Stefen Wisniewski, DT/DE Ollie Ogbu, DE/OLB Jack Crawford, RB Evan Royster) at BAMA (RT James Carpenter, WR Julio Jones, ILB Dont'a Hightower, C Will Vlachos)

lawrenceguy.jpeg

Lawrence Guy*, DE/DT, Arizona State

Height: 6-5. Weight: 293.

Class Year: Junior

Projected 40 Time: 4.91.

Projected Round (2011): 2-3.

5/8/10: Lawrence Guy had seven TFL and 4.5 sacks as a mere sophomore in 2009. Best fit is the 3-4.

Lawrence Guy vs. Portland State

Note: Broadcast cut off first 7 minutes of 1st QTR

1st - 1:12 - Shows good strength and strong hands at POA ... gets a nice initial push

1st - 0:27 - Nice motor and strength on double team

2nd - 14:21 - Quick off the ball ... Gets good penetration in crashing "A" gap

2nd - 13:49 - Shows very good strength and heavy hands ...

2nd - 13:08 - Nice strength in getting LT off balance on X-stung ... solid fluid athleticism in slight movement to arm tackle QB ... LT comes back to finish block and prevent sack ... good job by Guy forcing QB out of pocket - did what he could

2nd - 10:40 - Good instincts and recognizes QB keeper ... disengages, shows nice athleticism and a little explosion in making tackle on QB

2nd - 6:49 - If Guy had elite athleticism then this might have been sack on 3rd and long ... couldn't change directions quickly enough to catch up to QB

3rd - 14:54 - Guy got chop blocked by 2 Portland State OL and they injured his ankle. He didn't return for rest of game.

Since UVA is playing USCal, the game should be on locally up there, I would again take a look at the SC OL and front 7 if you're staying up late (10:30 pm kickoff):

Nick Perry: OLB/DE

Chris Galippo: ILB

Jurrell Casey: DT/NT

Kris O'Dowd: C

Zach Heberer: G

When you are watching the marque games this weekend, besides those players you mentioned, I'd keep an eye on the following:

12:00 pm: UGA (OT Clint Bolling, OG Cordy Glenn, OLB Justin Houston) at USCar (CB/FS Chris Culliver, DT Travian Robertson, , DE/OLB Cliff Matthews)

3:30 pm: FSU (OG Rodney Hudson) at OU (FS Quinton Carter, RB DeMarco Murray)

3:40 pm: UM (OT/OG Orlando Franklin) at OSU (RB Brandon Saine, WR DeVier Posey)

7:00 pm: PSU (C/OG Stefen Wisniewski, DT/DE Ollie Ogbu, DE/OLB Jack Crawford, RB Evan Royster) at BAMA (RT James Carpenter, WR Julio Jones, ILB Dont'a Hightower, C Will Vlachos)

The other guy I'd watch in the USC and UVA game is Austin Pasztor the OG for UVA. He's someone who I think as he goes through his years is going to be an OG to look at as a starter down the road. A lot of places have him as one of the top OG's in the 2012 draft and I think he could be but I need to see him for another full year before I give him that honor. I know he's eligible this year as an OG but I think he'll stay his senior year and develop more and more

Don't know if anyone is still watching Oklahoma demolish FSU, but Christian Ponder IS NOT an NFL ready QB and this game put the stake through the heart of any discussion otherwise. I think about 4 of his 8 total completions were actually good passes today.

I think he still is NFL ready no doubt about it, from what I've heard early on when he was rolling out on plays he looked good but then once he was just in the pocket he was off. I still think he's one of the best QB's coming out but he's definitely not on the same caliber as say a Locker or Luck.

I think he still is NFL ready no doubt about it, from what I've heard early on when he was rolling out on plays he looked good but then once he was just in the pocket he was off. I still think he's one of the best QB's coming out but he's definitely not on the same caliber as say a Locker or Luck.

There is no way that I can even attempt to agree with you here. Oklahoma is a good, bordering on great, team but Ponder looked like crap today. Balls sailing high over receivers heads, bad timing on his throws, barely completed 39% of his passes and 2 INT's. Just awful.

There is no way that I can even attempt to agree with you here. Oklahoma is a good, bordering on great, team but Ponder looked like crap today. Balls sailing high over receivers heads, bad timing on his throws, barely completed 39% of his passes and 2 INT's. Just awful.

I understand that but I don't think you can say that this one game makes him not ready. He's not the greatest QB coming out like a Locker or Luck are but he's very good someone you can draft and start for a while and not have to worry about but he's not a Peyton Manning game changer of a QB. I understand that he's looked bad but watch film of him last year and you'll see someone who is a NFL ready QB.

I understand that but I don't think you can say that this one game makes him not ready. He's not the greatest QB coming out like a Locker or Luck are but he's very good someone you can draft and start for a while and not have to worry about but he's not a Peyton Manning game changer of a QB. I understand that he's looked bad but watch film of him last year and you'll see someone who is a NFL ready QB.

He'll have to perform better than this against teams not named Samford or Upper Swahili Eastern University for my opinion to change. He'll have a great opportunity to air it out next week against BYU. He'll have to throw in bunches as BYU will score early and often.

He'll have to perform better than this against teams not named Samford or Upper Swahili Eastern University for my opinion to change. He'll have a great opportunity to air it out next week against BYU. He'll have to throw in bunches as BYU will score early and often.

Oh no doubt Oldskool I understand your opinion and I respect it BYU and FSU will be a good one to watch it'll be an all out game to watch and the QB stats will be interesting to watch

Today's been an interesting day of college football we saw JMU upset Tech in football and we saw a QB execute an offense to perfection in Dudznik for JMU. He sold the spread O perfectly and on the option plays he was able to make the perfect decision that lead to either a big gain or a 1st down. Alright Alright enough with my JMU homerism now I'll talk about a guy who looked impressive for me today

Cameron Heyward. The guy looked like an animal out there at DE, one that I would take 10 times out of 10 if he were available for us to be a 3-4 DE. He has the size length and athleticism to be an absolute monster. The play were he took the INT and ran it all the way back to the 30 yard line was just amazing because he's very athletic for a big guy. If he have a chance to jump on him when we're drafting next year I would certainly take him. Also in that game Terrelle Pryor looked like a true NFL QB in that game he made plays with both his feet and his arm and looked like a poised QB.

he did look good. Another guy that I like from OSU is the sophmore DLineman John Simon. He was getting pressure on harris all day and had a sack or two I believe.

Didn't get a chance to focus in on Simon but next time I watch OSU I'll definitely look at him, Allen Bailey looked good too he was able to get pressure on the QB when I watched and focused on him. He along with Heyward and Clayborn are the top 3 3-4 DE's on my board now

I'd love to see the draft/NCAA gurus in this thread do a breakdown of all of the positives and negatives they saw from the popular possible franchise QB prospects this weekend.

AKA Ponder, Luck, Mallet, etc.

I liked how Ponder threw the ball (mechanics-wise), in the few minutes of the FSU game that I caught, but obviously the results were not...the best...for ponder :doh:

I'd love to see the draft/NCAA gurus in this thread do a breakdown of all of the positives and negatives they saw from the popular possible franchise QB prospects this weekend.

AKA Ponder, Luck, Mallet, etc.

I liked how Ponder threw the ball (mechanics-wise), in the few minutes of the FSU game that I caught, but obviously the results were not...the best...for ponder :doh:

Well I can do some so far on Luck from what I've seen

Positives

Pocket Presence- something that is very impressive for someone who is only a sophomore in college. He knows when to throw the ball and isn't afraid to tuck the ball and run for a first down.

Arm strength- One of his best assets he has the arm to make all the throws and he isn't afraid to use it to throw passes into tight spots as seen in the 1st half with a few of his throws.

Intelligence- He didn't get into Stanford without having the grades and it shows on the field as well he knows when to make the reads on passes and he's able to make the passes by looking through all of his progressions

Negatives(they are few but still there)

Throwing off the back foot- I know its self explanatory but I've seen him make the throw off the back foot and while yes sometimes you have to make that throw when you have pressure in your face but he sometimes makes a habit of it. I hope he can work on it because you have to wonder what will happen in the NFL if he tries to make a lot of throws like that.

Accuracy- this is just going off the 1st half but a couple of his throws were completions but they weren't great passes and weren't in the best spots. Maybe he's just a little off with the accuracy but he can't make a habit out of it

Theres just some things I've noticed hopefully that can help out

dukes, you watching this UVA-USC game? the hoos are sticking with em right now.

Oh you know I'm watching the game right now, my mom is a UVA alum so I will always have some rooting interest in them. Right now Perry Jones for UVA is looking impressive and Austin Pasztor is a true stud at OG tonight he's been pulling well and making some good lanes for the RB's to run through. Defensively I like LeRoy Reynolds and Cam Johnson they are both around the ball constantly. Reynolds is a thumper of a player always making the big hit but also wrapping up and tackling and Johnson is someone who I think could be a Lawrence Sidbury type with his ability to rush the passer.

EDIT: and let me mention this is a UVA team who is still rebuilding their program and there taking a team who should be beating them right now by a lot more than that. Not to mention UVA is without Dowling who is one of the best cover CB's in CFB.

Archived