Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Guns N' Roses Trilogy

BayouBrave86

Chuck Klosterman covers these three videos in depth to an almost stupid degree in Fargo Rock City.

These are pretty much Axl at his most Axl-ness. The best part is he conceived these videos as a triology, but then broke up with Stephanie Seymour before he could finish the videos.

So, the last one makes no ****ing sense at all.

(Granted, none of them make any ****ing sense. But the last one is especially insane).

The Use Your Illusion records don't hold up terribly well. There are some greats songs on them, but you absolutely need to wade through a lot of nonsense to get to them.

Blasphemy.

The intro to Sweet Child O' Mine is classic.

One of my all time favorite uses of a popular song in a movie is Sweet Child O' Mine at the end of "The Wrestler."

Wow, we finally agree on something.:ols:That part literally gave me chills when the song kicks in, perfect usage of the song.

I had the good fortune to be in the right place to have caught them live before they were massively popular. I saw them when they were still (relative) unknowns in 1985-6 and trying to make a name for themselves. Axl finally imploded the whole outfit but when they were young and hungry there was nobody who could touch them live. And yes, Appetite for Destruction is their high point. That cd just never gets old imho.

Axl just sounded so freaking pissed off when he sang back then. Flash forward just a couple years (to 1991 forward) when they were touring with Metallica and they'd bought heavily into their own headlines and just weren't the same (though they still had more talent than most and when inclined, could bring it live). Still, for a while, they were the kings of hard rock and it was quite a spectacle to behold and what live music was supposed to be about.

Take it easy Francis. He said he thought the album sucked. YOu said he was hearing impaired. I figured you were implying Chinese was so much better than Slash's album. Is that the case? If so, I don't agree.

Between who the comparison should be drawn. Axl and Slash. You are obviously a Buckethead fan, which is cool. He is an awesome guitarist, I will give you that. What do you think his best songs are? Like to check a few more out, that maybe I don't have.

Don't forget Buckethead didn't do all the guitar work on Chinese.

BTW, I didn't exactly say I "liked" it. I said it was pretty good. It is a decent album, but for the time it took it should have been a butt load better. I didn't say it sucked, but I did say it was nowhere near the early days of GnR.

Don't see any change in what I said between my two posts. Nice try though.

How do you know that Slashs solo album is better than CD when you only heard a couple tracks? (By the way the Canadian release is the one to get)And yes I do think CD is better by a long shot. Slash tone has gone to ****, and he just plays the same sloppy blues licks. While Axls song writing/production has improved greatly. And no I don't care that it took over 10 years, especially after hearing the finished product, and learning that Axl had written more songs than could be released.

As far as Bucketface goes Crime Slunk Scene is the album to get if you can find it. Enter the Chicken, Decoding the Tomb of the Bansheebot, Albino Slug, Colma, Giant Robot, Electric Tears, and Inbred Mountain are all really good albums as well. It's to bad he was droped from GNR especially since he was replaced by Ron Thal.:( And yes I'm well aware of which solo belongs to which guitarist since Ive read through the songbook but thanks anyway.

Also how much is a "butt load"? For that matter WTF is a "Butt Load"?:evilg:

It's kinda funny that was brought up, I bought AFD back in the day, and LIKED it, but was never blown away.

I played in a pretty awesome band for around 4 years not too long ago, and we covered SCOM, My Michelle, Brownstone, and Paradise City, was fun.

But for some strange reason, about 3-4 weeks ago, I had a GNR itch...and AFD has been in my CD player since, It just never hit me how awesome that album is, it's one of those few 80's metal band albums, that transcends into modern music.

Slash is such a blue collar guitar player, He is sloppy, and doesn't go beyond the basics very much. But he just makes it work.

And to go back to my wtf comment on AFD being a back in black ripoff. ACDC is great at what they do, but they aren't exactly the most talented players out there, I'm not sure they could even play a song from AFD.

It's kinda funny that was brought up, I bought AFD back in the day, and LIKED it, but was never blown away.

I played in a pretty awesome band for around 4 years not too long ago, and we covered SCOM, My Michelle, Brownstone, and Paradise City, was fun.

But for some strange reason, about 3-4 weeks ago, I had a GNR itch...and AFD has been in my CD player since, It just never hit me how awesome that album is, it's one of those few 80's metal band albums, that transcends into modern music.

Slash is such a blue collar guitar player, He is sloppy, and doesn't go beyond the basics very much. But he just makes it work.

And to go back to my wtf comment on AFD being a back in black ripoff. ACDC is great at what they do, but they aren't exactly the most talented players out there, I'm not sure they could even play a song from AFD.

Woah. Angus Young is filthy.

How do you know that Slashs solo album is better than CD when you only heard a couple tracks? (By the way the Canadian release is the one to get)And yes I do think CD is better by a long shot. Slash tone has gone to ****, and he just plays the same sloppy blues licks. While Axls song writing/production has improved greatly. And no I don't care that it took over 10 years, especially after hearing the finished product, and learning that Axl had written more songs than could be released.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. Where in any of my threads did I say Slash's solo album is better than Chinese Democracy? If you can find that quote I will give you 10 bucks.

I simply said what I heard of Slash's album, CD isn't "So much better". So quit trying to put words in my mouth. Considering how long it took to make, CD should be leaps and bounds better than Slash's new album. It isn't.

Slash has been involved with many albums over the course of time that CD was trying to get out the door. A lot of which, were pretty big hits, especially with Velvet Revolver. You know that hit #1 in the US. Something CD didn't do.

However, I have heard a couple, though I guess I should have said more specifically 4 songs, if you are going to get technical, of Slash's Solo album and I find them entertaining. Maybe not as "produced" as CD, but they are still enjoyable.

CD is nowhere as good as it should have been, and isn't anywhere in the conversation of what GnR did in the 80s and early 90s.

As far as Bucketface goes Crime Slunk Scene is the album to get if you can find it. Enter the Chicken, Decoding the Tomb of the Bansheebot, Albino Slug, Colma, Giant Robot, Electric Tears, and Inbred Mountain are all really good albums as well. It's to bad he was droped from GNR especially since he was replaced by Ron Thal.:( And yes I'm well aware of which solo belongs to which guitarist since Ive read through the songbook but thanks anyway.

Also how much is a "butt load"? For that matter WTF is a "Butt Load"?:evilg:

A butt load is how much better an album should be with all the hype that was placed on it, by Axl himself. If you don't know what a butt load is, I can't help you. However, it is quite a bit.

Is Bucketface what Buckethead fans call him?

Back to Chinese Democracy, the anticipation of the album and the hype that the big head Axl was saying it should have been A LOT better than it was. I forgot the exact words he used before it was released, but it did not achieve what I was expecting and hoping for.

I will give Slash a pass, since he has been releasing albums, collaborating with other bands and working. He hasn't been saying for 10 years he was making something better than sliced bread.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. Where in any of my threads did I say Slash's solo album is better than Chinese Democracy? If you can find that quote I will give you 10 bucks.

I simply said what I heard of Slash's album, CD isn't "So much better". So quit trying to put words in my mouth. Considering how long it took to make, CD should be leaps and bounds better than Slash's new album. It isn't.

Slash has been involved with many albums over the course of time that CD was trying to get out the door. A lot of which, were pretty big hits, especially with Velvet Revolver. You know that hit #1 in the US. Something CD didn't do.

However, I have heard a couple, though I guess I should have said more specifically 4 songs, if you are going to get technical, of Slash's Solo album and I find them entertaining. Maybe not as "produced" as CD, but they are still enjoyable.

CD is nowhere as good as it should have been, and isn't anywhere in the conversation of what GnR did in the 80s and early 90s.

A butt load is how much better an album should be with all the hype that was placed on it, by Axl himself. If you don't know what a butt load is, I can't help you. However, it is quite a bit.

Is Bucketface what Buckethead fans call him?

Back to Chinese Democracy, the anticipation of the album and the hype that the big head Axl was saying it should have been A LOT better than it was. I forgot the exact words he used before it was released, but it did not achieve what I was expecting and hoping for.

I will give Slash a pass, since he has been releasing albums, collaborating with other bands and working. He hasn't been saying for 10 years he was making something better than sliced bread.

I'm still not sure what people expected, something revolutionary like AfD I guess. I heard the Demos before it was released and thought they were absolute garbage. After I bought CD that immediately changed.

As for Slash I'd just rather forget he exits. He was one of the greatest ever.:(

Sorry for jackin your thread BayouBrave86. As far as I'm concerned the Illusion albums were the culmination of one the the greatest songwriting duos of their time, Stradlin/Rose. It's a shame it didn't last a little longer.

I'm still not sure what people expected, something revolutionary like AfD I guess. I heard the Demos before it was released and thought they were absolute garbage. After I bought CD that immediately changed.

As for Slash I'd just rather forget he exits. He was one of the greatest ever.:(

Sorry for jackin your thread BayouBrave86. As far as I'm concerned the Illusion albums were the culmination of one the the greatest songwriting duos of their time, Stradlin/Rose. It's a shame it didn't last a little longer.

I was hoping for a lot more. Maybe I just expected it to be something grand. I was a huge GnR fan in the day, and with all the hype about the album. Especially, from Axl himself. I was waiting for the next Dark Side of The Moon I guess.

I don't think it is a bad album at all. I guess I set my expectations too high.

So if you could take all the good songs off Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 and make one good cd, what songs would you all pick?

Funny you should ask that. After I made that comment I went and listened to them again. I was thinking the same thing. This is what I came up with.

Let's see.

You Could Be Mine

Locomotive

Estranged

Don't Cry

November Rain

Yesterdays

14 Years

Civil War

Get In The Ring

Shotgun Blues

Breakdown

Pretty Tied Up

So Fine

Coma

I really like the covers, but they might not fit :ols:

Live and Let Die

Knocking On Heavens Door

Maybe drop Shotgun Blues and could squeeze them in. Not sure how long CDs can be nowadays. Could always make a audio DVD :silly:

Funny you should ask that. After I made that comment I went and listened to them again. I was thinking the same thing. This is what I came up with.

Let's see.

You Could Be Mine

Locomotive

Estranged

Don't Cry

November Rain

Yesterdays

14 Years

Get In The Ring

Shotgun Blues

Breakdown

Pretty Tied Up

So Fine

Coma

I really like the covers, but they might not fit :ols:

Live and Let Die

Civil War

Knocking On Heavens Door

Maybe drop Shotgun Blues and could squeeze them in. Not sure how long CDs can be nowadays. Could always make a audio DVD :silly:

Civil War is not a cover. And is an absolute masterpiece IMO.

One of the few Rose/Slash songs I love. I'll never forget hearing that song for the first time on the T2 movie single with YCBM. :beavisnbutthead:

Civil War is not a cover. And is an absolute masterpiece IMO.

One of the few Rose/Slash songs I love. I'll never forget hearing that song for the first time on the T2 movie single with YCBM. :beavisnbutthead:

Duh! My Bad, I was half asleep when I wrote that.

SO move it up into the main set list. Yeah that is a badass song!

I went to that Guns N Roses/ Metallica Show at RFK in I think it was 1992. THAT WAS THE BEST FREAKIN CONCERT I'VE EVER BEEN TO!!!!!!!!!!! Boobies flying all night long at that one.

Chinese Democracy cannot touch Use Your Illusion I/II or Appetite for Destruction.

November Rain is def one of my favs

Mr. Brownstone reminds me of a friend I lost to heroin - I like the song, but then again, I don't like the song.

Archived