Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Grimm strikes blow for the Hogs

Oldskool

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/16382/grimm-strikes-blow-for-the-hogs

ASHBURN, Va. -- As I walked around Redskins Park on Thursday, I kept bumping into folks who were headed to Canton, Ohio to attend Russ Grimm's induction to the Hall of Fame. For a team that leaned so heavily on its running game in the '80s and early '90s, it's amazing that it took so long for a member of those offensive lines to get elected.

But Grimm was the correct choice to represent the beloved Hogs. He was one of the more colorful players in Redskins history and a dominant offensive lineman. I've had a lot of talks with Cowboys Hall of Fame defensive tackle Randy White over the years, and invariably a lot of those discussions involve the great rivalry with the Redskins. Most teams were forced to double-team White, and the Skins were no exception. But Grimm was one of the few players in the league who could neutralize White (at times) on his own.

There's a great story about how offensive tackle Mark May used to taunt White. It apparently frustrated Grimm to no end because he was primarily responsible for blocking White. According to fellow Hog Joe Jacoby, Grimm had finally heard enough and he lit into May in the huddle.

"I know you've got a stiff over there, but you keep it up, and I'm coming after your ass," Jacoby recalled Grimm saying.

Grimm was apparently referencing Cowboys defensive end John Dutton as the "stiff." But Grimm had immense respect for White, and he didn't want May to give him any added incentive.

Washington went to four Super Bowls in an 11-year span with coach Joe Gibbs, and the Hogs played an enormous role in that run. Gibbs wasn't the most colorful quote in the game, but he truly appreciated having memorable characters on his team. Some of the stories about the Hogs would have made coaches cringe in this era, but Gibbs knew better than to try to curb their appetite for fun. Here's a story that Gibbs recently told former running back John Riggins:

"The one thing I'll always remember about Russ and Joe and that crew, they would always get away from us a little bit in those afternoons when we had those Wednesday scrimmages in Carlisle [Pennsylvania]," said Gibbs. "And I got in the huddle one night, and I mean, the smell of beer was so strong that I backed out of there after calling the play.

"And in between plays, I turned to [offensive line coach Joe] Bugel and I said I've got to tell you something right now, somebody in there has had some beers, OK? And Bugel went and got those guys. I don't know if you remember this, I kind of turned my back and walked off for a few minutes, he got everybody in the huddle and said this better be the best practice of your life or you guys are gonna be running wind sprints for the rest of your life. So Russ goes: 'I plead guilty.'"

Those linemen embraced the "Hogs" nickname because it suited their reputation for not taking themselves too seriously. But when they stepped on the field, there wasn't a more dominant group in the NFL. It took too long for a representative to be voted into the Hall, but now that it has happened, Grimm's the perfect choice. And in a lot of ways, all of the Hogs will be enshrined during Saturday's ceremony.

And if you see White cringe when Grimm's delivering his speech, you'll know he's thinking about that "50 Gut" play from the NFC title game in 1983.

That article sounds like a Cowboys fan pumping White up. Seems to contradict the "We're going to run right over you story."

It is an article from Mosley's blog, so you're right about it being a Cowboys fan. For Mosley, this is more "pro-Skins" than I'm sure he was comfortable with. He probably had to go wash his hands after writing it.

It is an article from Mosley's blog, so you're right about it being a Cowboys fan. For Mosley, this is more "pro-Skins" than I'm sure he was comfortable with. He probably had to go wash his hands after writing it.
Screw Mosley, then. This so-called "article" is more complimentary to an ex-Cowpuke, than to one of the Hogs finally being recognized in the HOF. :mad:

That article sounds like a Cowboys fan pumping White up. Seems to contradict the "We're going to run right over you story."

You're right about that. He talks as much about how great Randy White was as about Grimm. I said as much too in his comments haha. But of course its just a stupid bunch of Cowboys fans trolling around in that conversation. They're really the only people who enjoy reading Mosley any more.

Screw Mosley, then. This so-called "article" is more complimentary to an ex-Cowpuke, than to one of the Hogs finally being recognized in the HOF. :mad:

Agreed.

He makes it seem as though only ONE Hog in the HOF is good enough to represent the entire Hog-line. Sorry Mosetly, but if another player from what is considered one of the best offensive lines ever isn't inducted, it will only reinforce the idea that the HOF is purely a popularity contest.

Jacoby would be the natural choice. 3 SB rings, 4 Pro Bowls, All Decade Team (1980s), etc.

It truly is great to know the Hogs will finally be represented in the Hall of Fame. I hope Russ Grimm is simply the first of many from that historic, dominating force. As for now I would like to see some future HOFers in burgundy and gold.

HTTR

The Cowboys were America's team back then (so they say). Thats why we never got any love (although Madden loved us) look how long it took Monk to get in. I think at least 3 more of them should get in.

And why not add Donny Warren to that list also. Damn sport writers are all :beavisnbutthead: as far as I'm concerned.

WE NEED MORE HOGS STORIES!!! I'M SICK OF READING THE SAME ONES!!! (Yelling off)

(I met Joe Jacoby once at Jumbo Foods in Annandale in 1986. OSHA came in citing the store for inadequate lighting, but it was just Big Jake blocking them out.)

I ran into Jacoby last spring in Falls Church, at a 7-11 of all places. I was comming out and he in. Held the door for him and shook his hand. Used to see him at my bank a lot back in the late 80's early 90's along with Butz. Joe, had to duck just to get in the door. Telling classmates I have the same bank as a few Redskins was pretty cool.

No, I've heard this story too. This just means in different situations Grimm treated White differently. In that championship game he felt they had the momentu and could do no wrong.

Agreed.

He makes it seem as though only ONE Hog in the HOF is good enough to represent the entire Hog-line. Sorry Mosetly, but if another player from what is considered one of the best offensive lines ever isn't inducted, it will only reinforce the idea that the HOF is purely a popularity contest.

Jacoby would be the natural choice. 3 SB rings, 4 Pro Bowls, All Decade Team (1980s), etc.

I didn't remember Jacoby making the All 80's Decade Team so I went back to look it up and sure enough you're right. He was on the second string.

First String All 80's were Grimm at guard and Mike Nelms as the kick returner.

Second string were Jacoby at tackle, John Riggins at RB, Art Monk at WR, Dave Butz at DT.

I just remembered that Grimm had made it to the first team but forgot all the rest. Thanks for posting that.

The thing that shocked the hell out of me and I'm not sure how the hell this happened but Joe Gibbs didn't make the second team coach.

Bill Walsh was the first team head coach but for some reason that I'd love for the HOF voters to try and explain, Chuck Noll is the second team coach. I do recall that everyone was going gaga over the "cinderella" Steelers led by Bubby Brister during the 89 season and playoffs but that feel good story could not have been enough at the close of the decade for HOF voters to lose their collective minds and forget Joe Gibbs could it?

I mean Noll shouldn't even be in the top 5 of the 80's in my opinion. Walsh, Gibbs, Flores, Shula, Ditka, Parcells all are ahead of him and I could make a strong case for Marty Schottenheimer, Chuck Knox and John Robinson. Hell even though the Cowboys faded as the decade wore on, they were more successful than the Steelers in the 80's and appeared in the first three NFC title games of the decade so Tom Landry is more deserving.

Sorry for the rant and hijack, I was just floored at the Gibbs omission.

Back on topic, I fear that Grimm will indeed be the only member of The Hogs to enter Canton. I guess Jacoby could get in way down the line via the veteran's commitee. Personally when you consider his time in San Diego as well, Jim Lachey should be the next Hog to go into the Hall. I think he was second only to Anthony Munoz in terms of tackles in the NFL from 1986 through 1991. He also had a very good, though forgotten because the Skins sucked, 1994 season after having and injury riddled 92 and missing all of 93 with the blown out knee suffered in the first preseason game.

Anyway, congrats to Grimm individually and to the Hogs collectively for finally getting the recognition in Canton that they always enjoyed while playing.

"The one thing I'll always remember about Russ and Joe and that crew, they would always get away from us a little bit in those afternoons when we had those Wednesday scrimmages in Carlisle [Pennsylvania]," said Gibbs. "And I got in the huddle one night, and I mean, the smell of beer was so strong that I backed out of there after calling the play.

Man I really wish I could have been apart of those days!..

It's a shame how the HOF treats the OL. These guys do the dirty work but the QBs and other skill position players get all the credit. Guys like Riggins get all of the glory but he only has one ring. On the other hand, guys like Grimm, Jacoby, and Bostic have three each.

Archived