Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Underrated Rock Albums Everyone should hear

Devastate

As the titles says.. Rock albums that many may have missed but should DEFINITELY check out.

Here's mine.

1. KISS - Revenge

2. Motley Crue - Generation Swine

3. Bruce Dickenson - Tattooed Millionaire

4. Southgang - Tainted Angel

5. Stevie Ray Vaugn - The Sky is Crying (comp)

6. Poison - Native Tongue (not your normal Poison crap, actually quite bluesy)

7. The Flys - Holiday Man

8. Cinderella - Heartbreak Station - Again a more bluesy spin from their norm

Pretty much any Rush album, these guys play with a lot of heart and they are extremely talented.
QFT. I'm a die hard that can vouch for this. Hemispheres or Permanent Waves are probably the best ones to check out. They're still going strong, a song they released in June which is very Hard Rock oriented is already one of my favorites.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btoEgIlhbUc
Rush isn't exactly under rated thou
Rush isn't mainstream though, they are still a cult band and how they aren't in the Rock N' Roll HOF is beyond me.

Great album, but hardly underrated. Went double platinum, as I recall.

I don't rate albums by gem colors. Not many of my musician buddies are in to them, same with my non-musician friends...that album is a straightforward killer. Always have to recommend it to people who are oblivious to the band, much less the album.

QFT. I'm a die hard that can vouch for this. Hemispheres or Permanent Waves are probably the best ones to check out. They're still going strong, a song they released in June which is very Hard Rock oriented is already one of my favorites.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btoEgIlhbUc

Rush isn't mainstream though, they are still a cult band and how they aren't in the Rock N' Roll HOF is beyond me.

It's not just Rush that have been snubbed by that establishment. To be honest the Rock and Roll HOF is a joke. Sure, Rush should be in there but many other bands have been unjustly left out as well. Here are a few of them.

Kiss

Def Leppard

Chicago

The Moody Blues

Boston

Cheap Trick

Judas Priest

I could name many others. The bottom line is that when you have acts like Madonna and ABBA as members, I'm not sure how Rock and Roll the Hall of Fame actually is.

Rush is very much mainstream. They get a fair amount of radio airplay, and 9 out of 10 rock fans have heard of them. Just because your typical teenage girl doesn't have half-naked pictures of Geddy Lee posted on their wall, doesn't mean they're not mainstream.

Alter Bridge: Blackbird and One Day Remains

Outstanding Hard Rock albums. This band has been dismissed by many who were Creed haters, but their sound is largely completely different from Creed. Alter Bridge teeters on metal at times.

Van Halen: Van Halen III

completely trashed by the critics and fans alike, including this one when it arrived in 1998. However, with the exception of "How many say I" which still makes me want to drill a giant hole through my head, the album is pretty damn good. It took 12 years to get me to say that. The problem, I realize now, is that it just was NOT what people expected from Van Halen.

Pantera: The great southern Trendkill.

This is I think the forgotten masterpiece from Pantera. This album was VERY hardcore at a time, when nobody else was putting out that kind of metal, at that level. Releasing an album like this, that if I remember correctly debuted at #4 on the Billboard chart in 1996, was the ultimate " **** you" to the trends going on in music, and that god AWFUL post grunge radio rock crapola that radio was spewing out. In the era of Hip/Hop and crappy college one-hit wonder stoner bands, this album was refreshing for the old school metal head.

Van Halen: Van Halen III

completely trashed by the critics and fans alike, including this one when it arrived in 1998. However, with the exception of "How many say I" which still makes me want to drill a giant hole through my head, the album is pretty damn good. It took 12 years to get me to say that. The problem, I realize now, is that it just was NOT what people expected from Van Halen.

Is it better than Vsn Hagar pap? Yes.

Is it good? Maybe.

Is it underrated? No.

Pantera: The great southern Trendkill.

This is I think the forgotten masterpiece from Pantera. This album was VERY hardcore at a time, when nobody else was putting out that kind of metal, at that level. Releasing an album like this, that if I remember correctly debuted at #4 on the Billboard chart in 1996, was the ultimate " **** you" to the trends going on in music, and that god AWFUL post grunge radio rock crapola that radio was spewing out. In the era of Hip/Hop and crappy college one-hit wonder stoner bands, this album was refreshing for the old school metal head.

Yes! Yes.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opyVdN8GZtc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opyVdN8GZtc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'll cast a shadow...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyc49kxqRnQ&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyc49kxqRnQ&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Good call earlier on Raging Slab, Kiss' Revenge, and Cinderella's Heartbreak Station. A couple others from the era:

Thunder - Laughing on Judgement Day

Quireboys - A Bit of What You Fancy

Tesla - Five Man Acoustical Jam

Black Crowes - By Your Side

A couple other recent ones from the top of my head:

Honky - Balls Out Inn

Extreme - Saudages De Rock

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - The Place You're In and 10 Days Out: Blues from the Backroads

Here's one: Beck "Sea Change" (never rec'd any air play and it might be the best CD he's ever done). And it's nothing like you'd expect from him btw.

Yep, great album. If you have a 5.1 surround system, you owe it to yourself to buy Sea Change recorded in that format. It sounds amazing.

Archived