Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Rookie OLs

Dark Acre

Somebody quotes Dwight Freeney in their sig as saying:

"When you have a rookie offensive tackle, I can't wait. Because for an offensive tackle, you're not good until you're in like your eighth year. You've got to get beat up for a while to learn what to do and what not to. It's when you're about in your fifth through tenth years as an offensive tackle that you're in your prime."

===

Is he referring to Trent Williams? The reason I ask is that seems to me our good OL in the past have been good as young guys, including rookies. Jon Jansen made a name for himself as a rook against, aww heck, that Giants guy who sends thank you cards to Brett Favre every year. IIRC Chris Samuels had a good rookie year. If Freeney had been playing in the early 80's, the Hogs would've pounded the snot outta him. IDRC (I do recall correctly) that we had the best OL in football, and one of the best lines in history, with a collection of very young guys with the exception of the worst (but not bad) guy on the line, who was 10 year vet Starke and Joe Jacoby came outta nowhere to dominate the LT position. Jim Lachey - pro bowl 3rd season (albeit for S.D.), but didn't take until season 8 with us to dominate.

Do we play the Colts this year? Looking forward to Freeney enjoying a plate of cold crow.

somebody quotes dwight freeney in their sig as saying:

"when you have a rookie offensive tackle, i can't wait. Because for an offensive tackle, you're not good until you're in like your eighth year. You've got to get beat up for a while to learn what to do and what not to. It's when you're about in your fifth through tenth years as an offensive tackle that you're in your prime."

===

is he referring to trent williams? The reason i ask is that seems to me our good ol in the past have been good as young guys, including rookies. Jon jansen made a name for himself as a rook against, aww heck, that giants guy who sends thank you cards to brett favre every year. Iirc chris samuels had a good rookie year. If freeney had been playing in the early 80's, the hogs would've pounded the snot outta him. Idrc (i do recall correctly) that we had the best ol in football, and one of the best lines in history, with a collection of very young guys with the exception of the worst (but not bad) guy on the line, who was 10 year vet starke and joe jacoby came outta nowhere to dominate the lt position. Jim lachey - pro bowl 3rd season (albeit for s.d.), but didn't take until season 8 with us to dominate.

do we play the colts this year? Looking forward to freeney enjoying a plate of cold crow.

We'll see if he's right 10/17. This is Freeney though - Trent will have his hands full.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a tackle shift,with Brown taking LT that game. Look for it especially if Trent Williams is getting beat early and often in that game. I hope it doesn't happen because I think Williams will be a premier LT in this league - especially in a zone blocking scheme. He's quick, has good hands, and great footwork. It makes you wonder why Freeney would give Williams some billboard material. Can anyone email this article or quote to Redskins park? Maybe that will help motivate Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a tackle shift,with Brown taking LT that game. Look for it especially if Trent Williams is getting beat early and often in that game. I hope it doesn't happen because I think Williams will be a premier LT in this league - especially in a zone blocking scheme. He's quick, has good hands, and great footwork. It makes you wonder why Freeney would give Williams some billboard material. Can anyone email this article or quote to Redskins park? Maybe that will help motivate Williams.

The Colts have Mathis on the other side, so they're not exactly hurting there, either. I hope Trent stays on the Left for the Colts game. Worst case scenario is we keep in a TE or RB to help our Silverback, but if he can handle Ware, I have no doubts he can handle Freeney.

We drafted Trent Williams to play right tackle, and that is where he should stay. He's going to have growing pains like everyone does, but he just has to learn from his mistakes and get better.

Um...

Not to burst your bubble, but we drafted him to play left tackle. We brought in Jammal Brown to play right tackle.

Um...

Not to burst your bubble, but we drafted him to play left tackle. We brought in Jammal Brown to play right tackle.

Actually, not to burst your bubble, but I obviously just made an honest typing error, I was just thinking about someones comment that he should be moved to the right if he has trouble against Indy, I know we brought brown in to play right tackle.

Actually, not to burst your bubble, but I obviously just made an honest typing error, I was just thinking about someones comment that he should be moved to the right if he has trouble against Indy, I know we brought brown in to play right tackle.

Honest typing error? OK. Obvious? Not so much. But it's cleared up now, so water under the bridge.

that "eighth year" comment is just silly. he was clearly exaggerating. it took ryan clady all of one season to become one of the best (if not the best) left tackle in the world.

you also have to realize that the quote is coming from a d-end. the whole point of his job is to mentally (then physically) beat offensive tackles. he's just playing mind games.

personally i hoped we would start JB out on the left for this season, where he has had great success, while breaking in TW on the right (a-la michael oher in baltimore). but if shanny decides to start williams out on the left, where he was drafted to play, then i feel they need to commit to it by being patient and giving him a long leash. we can't be manipulating the line, switching sides, moving people around week-to-week depending on which defense we're facing. we need to build continuity and familiarity, and to accept TW's "growing pains," and to be confident that, with his natural ability, even a green rookie will be more effective than heyer or levi jones or whatever other bums we've had out there since chris samuels went down for good.

We drafted Trent Williams to play left tackle, and that is where he should stay. He's going to have growing pains like everyone does, but he just has to learn from his mistakes and get better.

Agree 100%! Thats what we got him for. Hes going to have his great games and his bad games this year. But he will be at LT the entire season!

Archived