Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Alien Swarm is an awesome game once you get the hang of it. As far as Starcraft 2 goes, I'm on the fence. I want to buy it just for the nostalgia alone and it actually does look like a fine sequel from the gameplay clips I've seen... but some of the stuff Blizzard is trying with Battle.net has me seriously second guessing.

Was in the beta, lack of Starcraft exposure for years showed as I got dominated every round

The game is fun though, but I always have to be on the defensive now, back in the day it was NR 20 and people would cover your back, now it's every man for himself

this is the greatest RTS of all time. i've been all over the beta. the three races are remarkably well balanced despite the massively different playstyles. the updated graphics look awesome. the matchmaking system is very good at pitting you against someone of equal skill (once you finish your "placement" matches).

i also love the overall starcraft storyline, so i can't wait for the campaign.

"no rush" rules are pointless because then it's just 20 minutes of building buildings, then pumping out battlecruisers or whatever.

just build a hatchery/barracks/gateway at about 10 supply and get some units on the field early and hard rushes shouldn't be too much trouble to defend. it's not as hard as it seems at first.

in the beta, i managed to get some pretty cool achievements. i defeated the "insane"-level AI in under 5 minutes, and i won a "Free For All" match against 7 "insane"-level AIs. those achievements unlocked pretty cool portraits for my profile.

Get Alien Swarm for free on Steam too. Damn good for a free game. :)

What is 'Steam' and how do I go there to get Alien Swarm? Any help would be great (also any advice as to anything to stay away from) - thanks.

Loved playing Star-Craft and Broodwar back in the day. I'll definitely check out Wings. Appreciate the heads up.

Well the way I look at battlenet is like this. I'm 100% certain I will be getting Diablo 3 so it doesn't really matter what they do honestly.

Diablo 3 can't get here soon enough. Still almost 2 years away I believe. Unreal... The trailers I have seen of it are so nice.

I have the Beta of SC2 but haven't played it. I think I wore out on RTS back in the day. I played a buttload of Starcraft, Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Generals and the like.

Can't wait. Only 5 days!!!

I was really happy with the SC2 Beta. Brood War was just too hard to get into because the mechanics of it took way too long to master. I remember going back and trying to play last year, and I was just getting owned in the face every single game. It was just too clunky and difficult to control for the average player.

But SC2's simplified macro mechanics and new matchmaking system have made the playing experience MUCH more enjoyable than Brood War. I was winning about 60% of my games and was never extremely over-matched or under-matched once I got past placement.

if you want to win regularly, just tank your placement matches, hehe.

That actually happened to me in phase 2, although I didn't do it on purpose.

I was a little rusty and lost one game I shouldn't have, and then got DCd from two games. I got put in Silver league and the slaughter was on. :)

I didn't play as much 1v1 in phase 2 though because I wanted to test out the UMS games. And god damn Nexus Wars is fun.

Archived