Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What player benefits the most from the new Coaches

SWFLSkins

I saw an article in the WP in BBN section covering Portis and his motivation for getting back to 1500 yards, that alone could make for a good thread. But I thought this opens up much further team wide. Are there any particular players which could see thier careers resurrected or bloosom after being suffocated by the past. Have the Redskins been holding back the talent that already exists or does an adition like McNabb make it a gimme that someone explodes onto the scene this year?

With Kyle Shannahan on board it could easily be Devin Thomas or another wideout that sees thier stock rise. It could be Fred Davis or a renewed Chris Cooley. And looking at the Defensive side could be a further guess as to who would truly benefit. Does Alexander make noise as a LBer, seems the guy plays anywhere.

My vote would be an offensive player at this point considering the coaching brought in there. I would think a wideout is going to be the position, but I know that Shannahan really loves running the ball, so Portis or Johnson would easily be another assumption.

So who is your player to most likely benefit?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/clinton-portis/clinton-portis-in-shape-and-mo.html

QB - McNabb, Grossman, Brennan

RB - Portis, Johnson, Parker

FB - Sellars

TE - Cooley, Davis

T - Williams, Brown

G - Hicks, Dockery

C - Rabach

DT - Haynesworth (eh), Kemo, Golston

DE - Carriker, Daniels, Holliday

OLB - Orakpo, Carter, Jarmon, Alexander

ILB - McIntosh, Fletcher

CB - Hall, Rogers, Tryon, Barnes, Buchanon

SS - Landry, Horton

FS - Moore, Doughty

P - Bidwell

K - Gano

EDIT: Just off the top of my head :)

My player to most likely benefit is easily Devin Thomas.

The player additions of McNabb, TW, Brown, and more running threats are only the beginning.

The biggest reasons are the coaches:

Mike Shanahan

Kyle Shanahan

Keenan McCardell

Our WRs, without a doubt, will benefit from the new coaches much more than they did under the old WRs coach. I also think the safeties (cough Landry cough) will benefit more from their new coach.

That said, the whole team certainly benefits more from Shanahan and Shanahan than they ever could have from Zorn.

QB - McNabb, Grossman, Brennan

RB - Portis, Johnson, Parker

FB - Sellars

TE - Cooley, Davis

T - Williams, Brown

G - Hicks, Dockery

C - Rabach

DT - Haynesworth (eh), Kemo, Golston

DE - Carriker, Daniels, Holliday

OLB - Orakpo, Carter, Jarmon, Alexander

ILB - McIntosh, Fletcher

CB - Hall, Rogers, Tryon, Barnes, Buchanon

SS - Landry, Horton

FS - Moore, Doughty

:1stplace::thumbsup::mmm::hump::look::bluesbros:

Very well played indeed, especially the AH. :D

P - Bidwell

K - Gano

EDIT: Just off the top of my head :)

Orakpo and Williams will be the biggest benfactors of these new coaches. Williams will learn the Shanny style of zone blocking. its his first season in the league, coming in with a head coach in his first year with the team. they will be together for years to come, and Williams is lucky to be 1. picked over Okung, and 2. to have Shanny as his new coach and Samuels as his O-line coach.

Haslett is a former player/coach. Im sure he will be able to get the best out of orakpo. haslett is young enough and has been through the same trenches as the players, so he can relate. However, he has the prior experience of a HC, in a better situation, and this is his chance to learn from his mistakes. greg Williams was in the exact same position when he came here. Orakpo is also playing the LB in a 3-4, and with the hopes of an in shape Haynesworth clogging up the middle, Orakpo is in for a bigger year then he was last season.

As others have said Thomas is one to really keep an eye on this year as he could really go off for a big year but the guy I'm picking right now is more of an outside pick and that's Chris Wilson. I say that because I think he'll get more reps at the OLB position which is more natural as he is a good pass rusher for us. The 3-4 switch is a blessing in disguise for him. I could of gone the obvious route with Orakpo but I think Wilson is going to really surprise some people

I'll say DeAngelo Hall.

If its all about pressure & takeaways on defense' date=' I think he could be in for a career year in interceptions.[/quote']

Good call. I really like Kevin Barnes too. Id like to see him emerge.

The team's last Head Coach was Jim Zorn with a staff hired by Bugeyes.

Is there really a correct answer to this question?

Yeah, 53. What do I win? Well it is my thread.

There are some good names being tossed around here though. Williams is one, and starting off in the right scheme was a great observation IMO. Thomas and Cooley probably are the obvious ones. Chirs Wilson and Lorenzo Alexander are two others that will be interesting to watch.

I thought of Chris Samuels as a coach not as a player but because he had not been in this scheme before it gives him something new to learn in the ZB scheme. And his impact on so many new OL is a great way for them to transition into the NFL. Both as players and as men.

I'm gonna say Devin Thomas. Look what Kyle Shanahan did with Andre Johnson. Not saying Thomas will be the next great WR, but Shanahan knows how to get the most out his WRs. Plus playing with McNabb certainly doesn't hurt.

Kyle was a WR at Texas wasn't he? I have enjoyed this offseason despite Haynesworth.

I think the WRs (especially Thomas & Kelley) under K. Shanny will be the most improved bunch (not to mention having McNabb throwing to them).

add to that a 1st round draft pick of a tackle and Jamall brown who has proven his talents in the past...

Archived