Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question on being a fan.

MichaelM

This question was brought up at work today so I'll pass it on and see what the responses are. The question was can a person be a fan of both the Redskins and Ravens? My stance is a definite no. I see these two in the same light as Raiders/49ers, Mets/Yankees, Cubs/WhiteSox or Jets/Giants. They are all in different conferences/Leagues, but generally there is no love lost between each set of fans. Baltimore and Washington (Landover to be realistic) are close enough in the Metro areas to be one metro area and are frequently lumped together as one. What is everyones take on this?

Keep the responses coming. From the 15-20 people asked this today, all those who said no were immediate in answering. There was never a question about the answer from this side. Those who thought someone could be a fan of both thought and talked through their answers for a while convincing themselves it is ok. I wanted to get a larger response than what we had at work. I bet the Ravens fans would feel the same, but I don't care to ask any of them.

Not a chance.

You kill me Buddha :rotflmao:

You would never see a true fan of either team following or enjoying the success of the other team. That’s reserved for the fairest of fair weather fans. I could see where you might follow the success of a single player that you might like or one who plays on your fantasy football team but that’s about it.

I love football but I love Redskin football more. I couldn’t care less if the Ravens ever won another game, or any other team for that matter, unless it helped the Skins get into the playoffs or something.

I'd have to say no as well...

I did root for them when Vinnie Testaverde was the QB (he was my fantasy QB when he had a few good statistical years). Plus I can't stand the Jaguars so it gave me someone to for other than the oilers at the time.

I can't stand the Ravens and wouldn't root for them even if my whole fantasy team was comprised of Ravens. Personally I would hope they scored fifty points and lost by one.

Peace

I would have to say no. To be a true fan you have to like one team and one team only. It really would be tuff to call anyone who has two favorite teams a football fan. What would happen if both your favorite teams were in a game? What would you do then?

P.S. Is this post okay.

Originally posted by bleedblue

I would have to say no. To be a true fan you have to like one team and one team only. It really would be tuff to call anyone who has two favorite teams a football fan. What would happen if both your favorite teams were in a game? What would you do then?

P.S. Is this post okay.

Root for your most favorite team...

Good post

Peace

When I first became a Redskins fan, I hated Johnny Unitas. I despised the way he dropped back like an automaton, I couldn't stand the way he looked..joe scrubbed and clipped...My man was Sonny. Unconventional, ...the gut..the arm. Sonny had as much inpact coming off the bench in his later days as he did when he was a young slinger cracking the 3000 yard barrier. So I guess what I'm saying is EFF Baltimore! Cal Ripken couldn't hold Frank Howard's jock strap. ....it might fit quite nicely over his helmet.

I always try to root for one team when watching a football game, it just makes it more interesting. However I love the Redskins way more than any other so I dont see the problem with it. For example I hate the damn Rams and Kurt Warner so much and am such a fan of McNair and George that I was even a little heartbroken when the Titans lost by a yard in that SB. However had it been the Skins it would have been a million times worse.

In the old days I was a fan of the Unitas Colts (won a Colts PP&K jacket as an 8 year-old) and the Namath Jets (liked the style and production). I lived in Germany and Kentucky at the time.

When SB III came I was very conflicted and hated the game in general, mostly because when it came down to it, I rooted based on my Colts PP&K jacket.

When I moved to DC I became a Skins fans for sure - big time. The Colts were first, but by that time I had gone to B-more a few times for O's games and frankly thought the place was the pits (still do). My love for the Colts was slipping ... the Skins caught up .. and then the Colts were gone. My dilemma was over and I have never looked back.

Contrast to my being a Yankees fan. I lived at West Point when I was 6 when my dad taught at the academy. I moved all over the country and world, had no local team and rooted for them through the late 60s and early 70s when they were consistently IN LAST PLACE. So what ... that's being a fan ... even hating Steinbrenner with the rest of you.

Baltimore and DC are like night and day. B'more kept their hate for DC and the Skins long after the Colts left and before the Ravens came back. I guess that's true fans.

But don't EVER make the argument that DC shouldn't have an MLB team just because there's one in Baltimore - EVER.

All of Baltimore sucks!!!

Their so-called "Beltway"

Their news channels

Their friggin inner harbor

Their whores ( oh thats what they are supposed to do)

Their friggin accent 'hon

Their Baseball team (because DAngelo put together a horrible team, so Washington doesnt get a team.)

Their Airport

You can't be a true fan of two teams in the same league. You can be a fan of one team and have mildly benevolent feelings toward others (perhaps because you respect their players or traditions)...but fans ? No way.

And this isn't because Baltimore is some sort of "rival" of DC's. Baltimore will always be inferior to DC in every way, including its sports teams. Baltimore fans like to think that there's some sort of rivalry because inferior opponents always enjoy imagining rivalries. Every second-rate, wannabe institution likes to think that a rivalry exists between it and a corresponding world-class institution. That just ain't the case.

Michael, did you e-mail this in to WTEM today? They asked the exact same question during their e-mail segment today.

In response, I think people should only have one favorite team in each sport. I don't have a great deal of feeling one way or the other for the Ravens......although I admit rooting for them in the SB when they beat the Jints.

Definitely Not - I am an NFL fan and enjoy watching other teams and other games between other football teams - I watch any game I possibly can (about 99% of the time).

But when it comes to being a TRUE fan and where my loyalties lie, that my friend, is with one team - my beloved Washington Redskins.

I don no hats or shirts of any other teams, no colors of any other team, and bleed no colors other than burgundy and gold. Am I a freak? probably. Will I root for another team? Yes - when it is about my football pool and money is on the line, or I am watching my friend's teams play their games.

A fan of another team though in this or any other lifetime? Not a chance.

Archived