Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any camp reports on Jarmon?

Skins3000

For what it is worth Jarmon is listed as DE depth on yahoo . I think of all the players they are thinking of transitioning Jarmon will be the least successful simply because he has not had chance to practice in the new position at his but he is athletic enough to pull it off .

Alexander however has been impressing people at the OLB position in camp and people have to remember he joined the team as a utility player having played OG, third tackle, DT, DE and TE . I remember one bad play from the Zorn eara where he left Cooley into block and sent Alexander as the back of the endzone option (one of two options) . Alexander is the kind of player to do well where ever you place him .

I know people think the 3-4 switch will be an unmitigated disaster but really our D outside 2004 and the back end of 2005/7 (final 2-3 games of each season) has been poor on the field but statistically impressive and hardly helping out the O with the inability to turn the ball over or give decent field position .

I am one of those people who will wait and see on D .

Do you think Shanahan & Allen would've drafted a DE with the 3rd rounder Vinny gave up for this guy?

Man oh man.. The mess Cerrato put this team in is hard to comprehend. Then again, it wasn't his idea to switch to a 43 defense. It's going to be interesting, thats for sure, seeing how all this pans out.

Again, with the advantage of retrospect, it is easy to pan this selection.

At the time, I, along with the majority, felt that this was a great selection. Get a quality DE who was projected to go in the first 2 rounds a year early and redshirt him in essence.

The problem that we have had, is the constant changing of philosophies have made positive moves into negative moves.

Again, with the advantage of retrospect, it is easy to pan this selection.

At the time, I, along with the majority, felt that this was a great selection. Get a quality DE who was projected to go in the first 2 rounds a year early and redshirt him in essence.

The problem that we have had, is the constant changing of philosophies have made positive moves into negative moves.

this was still a good selection, Jarmon has potential, and for those new fans, for years we went without any real threats at end, then once we finally had some, we decided to switch defences lmao

Question: Gary, a name we haven’t heard for a while is Jeremy Jarmon. We didn’t get to see much of him last year since he was lost to a knee ligament injury. What can we expect from him this year?

-- Alvaro B.

Gary: Jarmon was not able to participate in any off-season practices as he rehabbed his knee injury. His goal: be healthy for the start of training camp. Jarmon is listed as an outside linebacker now, so he faces a learning curve in the Redskins’ new 3-4 defense. He is likely assured of a roster spot, but he trails the other linebackers on the roster simply because he has not had any on-field reps yet. In training camp, Jarmon must catch up quickly. He could start the season as a reserve and work his way into playing time.

• 2 weeks later...
Hes up to 295 lbs now and will be playing defensive end.

Yep, I saw that on "SportsNite" as well. He said that Ray Wright got him from 260 lbs at the start of the off season to his current weight of 295 lbs. I always thought he'd be a better fit at DE than LB. He's naturally a big guy. Coming out of college he was 285 lbs. He got in trouble with the NCAA for taking a banned supplement while trying to lose weight.

Anpother talented player we will try to play out of position. I still can't believe we are forcing a 3-4 on this roster.

I'll try to "wait and see" as much as possible, but it doesn't look good from an outside perspective.

I wouldn't say that's 100% correct. True he was drafted as a 4-3 DE but I have a feeling that this 3-4 that is being installed will have an attacking front 3, (as opposed to the front 3 eating space and simply making for the LB's) which should suit Jarmon.

Jarmon was on CSN last night. He said he has been in the weight room all off season and has bulked up to 295 pounds so he can play def. end. He has recovered from his injury also.

Saw that last night and I really approve of it. He is a better fit as a 3-4 DE than a 3-4 OLB. As Oldskool stated before me our 3-4 is not going to just be a run stuffing group but an attacking front that makes plays along with the Linebackers or that is at least the idea Haslett has started to portray

He's best as a 4-3 DE. That's what he is. He's no tweener, so I'm skeptical as to how he'll do with the 3-4.

Cos you've seen soo much out of him to come up with that opinion, right? :ols:

He was a 278lb LDE in college who could play undersized tackle or end in a pro 4-3 system. Having him put on weight and have him move to a LDE in a 3-4 isn't much of a stretch, considering he isn't projected to be a sack artist in the pros.

BTW, isn't it time you retire that sig?

He's best as a 4-3 DE. That's what he is. He's no tweener, so I'm skeptical as to how he'll do with the 3-4.

Not sure what you mean re the tweener comment. At 290 he is the ideal size to play DE in a 3-4. I recall reading some of the scouting blurb when we drafted him last year say g he had the frame to add weight.

I had been a little skeptical about the 3-4 switch but hearing those types of comments about an attacking front, and Jarmon (my personal pick for breakout player this season on D) has me amped! I've always wanted a wild, attacking D on the field and I think the Skins have a lot of the personal to do exactly that, 3-4, 4-3, doesn't matter.

Just bananas.

Cos you've seen soo much out of him to come up with that opinion, right? :ols:

He was a 278lb LDE in college who could play undersized tackle or end in a pro 4-3 system. Having him put on weight and have him move to a LDE in a 3-4 isn't much of a stretch, considering he isn't projected to be a sack artist in the pros.

BTW, isn't it time you retire that sig?

With all due respect, I don't think anyone here is even remotely qualified to make that assertion. Jarmon is very much an unknown NFL quantity to us fans and compelling cases can and have been made for his ability to transition to either spot.
Not sure what you mean re the tweener comment. At 290 he is the ideal size to play DE in a 3-4. I recall reading some of the scouting blurb when we drafted him last year say g he had the frame to add weight.

Was about to come and post something like this. I'm not sure why people think they know what he's capable of. I just hope our 3rd rounder usage is justified in the end.

With all due respect, I don't think anyone here is even remotely qualified to make that assertion. Jarmon is very much an unknown NFL quantity to us fans and compelling cases can and have been made for his ability to transition to either spot.

I disagree, 3-4 end is closer to 4-3 end than 3-4 olb is. we shouldnt get too enamored of players having their position change,it fails more often than not.

I disagree, 3-4 end is closer to 4-3 end than 3-4 olb is. we shouldnt get too enamored of players having their position change,it fails more often than not.

Its not like he's an established player in this league that's being asked to switch positions.

Its not like he's an established player in this league that's being asked to switch positions.

I think we are splitting hares here and not focusing on the situation at hand. Jarmon is moving from a Phillip Daniels style 4-3 run stuffing LDE to a 3-4 run stuffing LDE.

If he were asked to lose weight to move to a OLB (something that he's never played), then I'd be concerned. If anything having the team make him bulk up and get stronger (he only had 19 reps at 225lbs) and play 3-4 DE is a good thing.

lmao, except that hes probably played Dline since high school. there is a reason that guys being asked to change positions after college almost always get drafted lower. changing positions is not like in madden where its easy. There are different skill sets , different athletic needs, and many players cant do it.

I think we are splitting hares here and not focusing on the situation at hand. Jarmon is moving from a Phillip Daniels style 4-3 run stuffing LDE to a 3-4 run stuffing LDE.

If he were asked to lose weight to move to a OLB (something that he's never played), then I'd be concerned. If anything having the team make him bulk up and get stronger (he only had 19 reps at 225lbs) and play 3-4 DE is a good thing.

They wanted him to drop weight and move to OLB, I said all along he is better suited to gaining some weight and playing end. you are right he needs to gain strength 19 reps is not enough for a 3-4 de. he is still better suited to be 4-3 base end or a wide side end if he can keep his speed.

They wanted him to drop weight and move to OLB, I said all along he is better suited to gaining some weight and playing end. you are right he needs to gain strength 19 reps is not enough for a 3-4 de. he is still better suited to be 4-3 base end or a wide side end if he can keep his speed.

He may be quick but his skill sets (from all scouting reports i've read) are not on par to be a "sack artist" in the NFL, hence why the team had him at LDE last year. As I said, this is a guy built in the Phillip Daniels mold of DE's; big, run stuffers that can occasionally get to the QB. He's never going to be Orakpo or Andre Carter.

Hopefully the 12lbs that he's added has been due to hitting the gym and not spent at Hardee's.

Archived