Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Define eating healthy.

Destino

My definition of eating healthy is no sodas, fast food, junk food, eating lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats, and drinking lots of water.

I do agree with Destino that there should be clearer guidelines for what you should and shouldn't eat. It seems like every diet you see out there contradicts the other. So its tough to stick to a diet because with one diet you can eat burgers or something and there might be another diet that forbids it. Kinda strange.

As long as food is available, your body will find a way to get you to its desired state.

Genetics play a role for sure. But that just means some of us have to work harder. I know plenty of people who hit anything from 250 - 300lbs and seen their own mortality and taken action. One of these 300lb dudes recently placed second on the USA team in the World Championship 24 hour race having dropped 120 lbs in the last few years.

Speaking personally, I couldn't put on weight in my 20s and was a very healthy 195lbs. Simply through metabolism changes, in spite of eating better, I would easily add five or more pounds per year in my 30s. It takes effort, and for some, much harder work than others.

Just eat things as they are found in nature. This includes red meat. The problem is, meat is not as healthy as it once was. Mostly because of what animals are fed.

I know that raw things are generally healthier, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable eating raw red meat all the time. Sounds like a good way to get a lot of diseases that I can't pronounce.

I do think there's a lot of truth to what you said, though. The most consistently successful advice I've noticed is to simply try to eat things that you would have been able to find a thousand years ago. Your body knows what to do with that kind of food.

If you truly want to eat healthy then don't eat anything processed. Look at Jack Lalane, he's damn near 100 and he doesn't eat anything man made. It's all fresh vegetables and I think some fish and chicken, but only free range, non chemically fed.

Another example is ted Nugent. I just saw him in concert Tuesday night. He's 62 and other than some gray hair, looks the same as he did when I saw him in 1986. He only eats what he kills or grows. Some people may frown on that but I'll take wild boar or a nice venison steak over farm raised chicken, beef or pork any day. And believe it or not, if you look at the nutritional content, the wild boar or venison are both lower in fat and cholesterol than farm raised chicken.

Bottom line, natural is always healthier.

Just eat things as they are found in nature. This includes red meat. The problem is, meat is not as healthy as it once was. Mostly because of what animals are fed.

Just eat Grass-fed beef man. I just started picking up grass fed ground beef from Whole Foods and it is excellent. Not only is it good for you but it's a million times healthier than the other grain filled crap. Also feels so much better knowing your eating natural beef -the way it's suppose to be.

Good Lord. Here we go with the "grass fed" bs.

Add that to the list of marketing food trends.

Well it does produce less fatty red meat. Though really I'd be more interested in it not being shot full of steroids and drugs.

Good Lord. Here we go with the "grass fed" bs.

Add that to the list of marketing food trends.

Meh.. call it BS if you want. If people did their research they might actually realize what they are eating. It's really pretty simple. Grass fed = UNPROCESSED. Anything that is processed you can guarantee will lead to health problems in the future. If you don't believe that just run a search on processed foods.

http://food-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/grassfed_beef_loaded_with_health_benefits

Have fun with that

Coming from someone who has done the research,(and continues to do so),I don't think eating healthy is as cut and dry and we like to think or believe we know it is. Go figure. Not a whole lot,(comparatively speaking),is. I think that making an effort to avoid those those things that are obvious health risks and/or sheer amounts are ways of eating"healthier". What all that means is,eating "healthy" can be a bit.......subjective.

I also think it's funny that you see grass fed as a "marketing food trend". I guess it's not popular these days for cattle to eat only grass.. It's definitely a trend - for sure. Since when should we raise animals on what they are naturally suppose to eat? Oh Wait.. I think it's coming to me....It's easier and much more PROFITABLE to stuff cattle with grain in feed lots.

Take a glance back in history before foods were processed. Did people suffer from heart disease, strokes, obesity, arthritis, cancers? No they did not.

I obviously don't know the complete truth - no one does. I apologize if I come off as a smartass, I don't mean to..

There are so many unknowns out there about what we consume. I do however think people should be more cautious and realize a lot of food companies don't care about their health and are only alive to make a profit!

Take a glance back in history before foods were processed. Did people suffer from heart disease, strokes, obesity, arthritis, cancers? No they did not.

I think you know as I do that that's very hard to quantify that statement. For obvious reasons. Following post noted as well. Though I do think the final sentence is stating the obvious. The biggest thing,is getting people to eat differently. And that's an obvious and broad term to be using there I admit.

Archived