Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Define eating healthy.

Destino

The more you study healthy eating the more you realize that the definition varies wildly depending on who you ask and how you live your life. In a nation plagued with obesity you'd think there would be more consistent information but you'd be wrong.

If you count calories you might be eating too many "bad carbs" if there is such a thing. You might be eating too many artificial sweeteners. If you avoid those you might be getting too much added sugar. If you following "portion guidelines" you are likely not getting enough calories unless you sit on your ass all day.... and even then you'll likely be low. What about fat? Are you getting enough "good fat" or too much "bad fat". If you buy anything that is low fat you're likely eating a chemical bath shaped to look like real food, is that better for you? What is the difference between added sugar and naturally present sugar? Are they really that different? Your body reacts to any sugar like sugar even if it comes from a fruit. What about the glycemic index? Anyone figured that out yet?

So how do you guys define eating healthy?

No soda or fried food.

Drink mainly water and natural juices.

Raw foods, fruits, vegetables.

I think eating healthy is very subjective, though. My dad is 65 years old, lives on fast food and soda, but looks like he's 40 and is healthy and energetic.

:whoknows:

Ignoring the experts

I have cookies for breakfast washed down with a pot or two of coffee

Two pieces of honeywheat bread and two slices of the cheapest P&P loaf ya can buy for lunch.

Beef ...It's what's for dinner five days a week,at least one pound,but preferably two along with whatever rabbit food gets cooked...had lima beans with fatback today;)

I figure between the wheat bread and the heavy doses of medicinal bourbon or tequila I'm golden.

Weekends it is 8 eggs over easy and bacon,then the real eating begins for lunch.

Oh and at least a 12 pack of diet DP a day

Like someone else said eating healthy is pretty subjective. Its whatever you want it to be really.

I exercise 5 days a week, eat healthy (grilled chicken, and veggies for dinner only) five days a week and eat like total garbage the other two (pizza, wings, french fries, beer you name it).......

I feel like I eat pretty healthy

You'll be "eating healthy" as long as you eat natural foods with a little junk food. Junk food is not bad for you if you eat it sparingly.

People I know, they will literally freak out when you have one slice of bacon. Seriously. One bacon strip won't do any damage.

Fruits, Veggies & Water are healthy. After that it seems you can find differing studies.

I keep hearing about how great Low-carb is, but then other studies suggest, while it might work to loss extra weight, it doesn't make what's left of you, very healthy. I get into an argument regularly with a friend of the family who is an avid low carb advocate. I argue that a piece of fruit is more healthy then a steak. She disagrees merely because the piece of fruit has sugar, albeit natural sugar(not refined). I tried to explain that a high fat diet(what low-carb preaches) might help you cut weight, due to not eating starches, will still leave your body unhealthy, just skinnier.

Ok that was a bit of a rant. I guess you can ignore that and just re-read the first line.

The most important thing is a well rounded diet. A little of everything, a bit more fruits and vegetables, and not too much processed or fried foods. Calories, fats, carbs, and all those other "unhealhty" things are vital to your health so you don't want to completely cut them out because that would be unhealthy as well. As in almost everything, balance and moderation are key.

Corcaigh provided a pretty good article. I try to give my body what it needs...and refrain from things it doesn't. I am pretty good at giving it what it needs. I could use some work on avoiding the things it doesn't.

I read an interesting article or book or something a while ago that basically said if you have to read a label then you shouldn't be eating it. It then went on to explain what you should be looking for when you can't avoid the label.

Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Most everything you need can be found there. And then make good selections about the specific things(lean ground meat instead of the 80-20 stuff if you are going to eat it).

I think ultimately there is no easy answer to eating healthy and it takes some effort and study to figure out what is best.

Corcaigh provided a pretty good article. I try to give my body what it needs...and refrain from things it doesn't. I am pretty good at giving it what it needs. I could use some work on avoiding the things it doesn't.

I read an interesting article or book or something a while ago that basically said if you have to read a label then you shouldn't be eating it. It then went on to explain what you should be looking for when you can't avoid the label.

Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Most everything you need can be found there. And then make good selections about the specific things(lean ground meat instead of the 80-20 stuff if you are going to eat it).

A lot of these points are covered in the Michael Pollan article I linked. For those who don't want to read the whole thing; jump to page 11.

**** eating healthy. Everyone's gonna die anyways. Might as well eat all the good **** you can before you kick it.

You know if you try it, a fresh pineapple (for example) actually tastes better than pineapple-flavored ****. :ols:

I'll keep it in this thread...

I never ate seafood, fruits, or veggies. Am i dying? seriously.

Well you're also 22. At 22 I drank 4-5 days a week (because I was clubbing or at a party that often) and basically lived off pizza and hamburgers.... many of which were consumed in a frenzy at around 3am. Things change. :ols:

You know if you try it, a fresh pineapple (for example) actually tastes better than pineapple-flavored ****. :ols:

Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVEEE fresh fruits and veggies. But I'm not gonna go out of my way to eat the "preferred amount" every day. Besides the best foods in the world are unhealthy anyways. Pizza, Burgers, fries, steak, ribs, bacon, bacon, bacon, CHICKEN, mmmmmmm. And Pineapple flavored Fanta soda is the ****.

A lot of these points are covered in the Michael Pollan article I linked. For those who don't want to read the whole thing; jump to page 11.

I guess I've picked up those points along the way. :silly:

I like the Jack Lalanne quotes "if man made it, don't eat it" and "if it tastes good, spit it out" philosophy also. I admit I don't follow it wholeheartedly.

Food has become a more interesting topic to me over the last few years. Or maybe more of our attitude towards it. I was talking to a friend of mine, went to the same college, lived together for a couple of years in the Army...share a lot of common experiences and background. We were talking about nutrition and he made the comment "if I spend a lot of time preparing food then I want it to taste good". I asked the question "would it be better to prepare food that "fuels you good" instead". The answer seems to be "yes" which could be called, no fun. But pineapple is better than pineapple flavored ****. And a good, fresh, fruit salad leaves me much more satiated and feeling good than a piece of cake.

Good article... the only problem is when your activity level is high eating low calories and mostly veggies (undefined in the article unless I missed it) doesn't really do the trick.

How did our hunter-gatherer ancestors do it? I read another article...maybe it is in Corcaigh's also :)...that put forth the premise that we need to ignore our hunger instinct since it was developed under conditions far different than the ones we live in now.

How did our hunter-gatherer ancestors do it? I read another article...maybe it is in Corcaigh's also :)...that put forth the premise that we need to ignore our hunger instinct since it was developed under conditions far different than the ones we live in now.

The same way the animal kingdom does it. Hit the discovery channel and you'll see one thing animals that eat others do for most of the day... sleep or otherwise move as little as possible. They also tend to die if they have a bad food week and don't really care about how they look.

Civilization and food availability went hand in hand.

Best way is to cook almost everything you eat yourself (meaning from fresh, not baking a stouffers lasagna) and eat proper portions. It does not take very long to do it yourself, you know what goes into it and by eating proper portions your food budget goes much further.

Best way is to cook almost everything you eat yourself (meaning from fresh, not baking a stouffers lasagna) and eat proper portions. It does not take very long to do it yourself, you know what goes into it and by eating proper portions your food budget goes much further.

This is true, however the problem for most people is, it's never cheaper to prepare it yourself. It also is much more time consuming to do so. Lasagna especially :ols:

Truth is if you just eat from the meat isle, the produce and fruit isle, you will be much healthier than if you eat anything processed, boxed, frozen, prepared.

The poster who said you can't make something that is healthy that tastes good is mistaken.

And you can eat fruits in a "low carb lifestyle". It doesn't have to be about eating a pork chop -vs- a strawberry. That's ludicrous.

Just to keep my Zooniesm on track. Eat more olive oil.

Archived