Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers' Steve Smith breaks arm

Santana_Fan

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Pro Bowl receiver Steve Smith broke his left arm playing flag football over the weekend, and the Carolina Panthers star will miss the start of training camp.

The Panthers said Monday that Smith had surgery Sunday night. It's the same arm the four-time Pro Bowl receiver broke late last season against the New York Giants.

General manager Marty Hurney says Smith "feels terrible about it" and his focus is on "getting back as quickly as he can."

The team says it's uncertain when Smith will be able to return, but that he'll definitely miss the start of training camp. The Panthers report July 28.

Smith had 65 catches for 982 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

Flag football is known to break it's fair share of fingers and arms so I'm not surprised.

I broke my nose playing flag football. Another guy and I were running down the field on opposite sides of the field. We were running post patterns and collided full speed head on. The top of his head hit me on the side of my nose completely displacing it. It was not pretty.

Bonehead.

And that goes for the Panthers too.

How can either he put himself in that position of potential injury; or they let him? Now he's potentially gona' miss the start of the season, or at the very least be well behind everyone else.

Bonehead.

Hail.

Umm...he risks injury more in practice. You can't expect the guys to sit in front of a TV all day when they aren't on the field.

Umm...he risks injury more in practice. You can't expect the guys to sit in front of a TV all day when they aren't on the field.

When he's practicing, he's doing what he's contracted to do as a member of the Carolina Panthers.

A whole Worlds away from putting that investment at risk in his own time.

Hail.

Bonehead.

How can either he put himself in that position of potential injury; or they let him? Now he's potentially gona' miss the start of the season, or at the very least be well behind everyone else.

Bonehead.

Hail.

I dont think he will miss much considering he has been in the same offence for a while now.

Bonehead.

Bonehead.

Hail.

Not worse than Ryan Clady though.

Denver's franchise left tackle goes and tears his patellar tendon this off season playing basketball.

At least Smith was playing a version of football.

When he's practicing, he's doing what he's contracted to do as a member of the Carolina Panthers.

A whole Worlds away from putting that investment at risk in his own time.

Hail.

Playing flag football or pickup basketball games is drastically different than riding a motorcycle with no helmet.

If he was playing pickup tackle ball or maybe even snowboarding I'd understand. But he's just playin a game with some friends; this stuff will happen.

Archived