Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLB 2010 Draft Thread : June 7, Monday, 7pm on MLB network

killerbee99

Go Nats, we get another franchise player, Bryce Harper, should spend like 2 years in minors and by age of 20 should be ready for the majors baby.....yeah

Oh, also to our brother Oriole fans, you guys do get to pick from one of the remaining A+ players, Manny Machado a sweet SS from a Florida HS and Jameson Taillon a good RHP from a Texas HS, you guys pick 3rd after the Pirates, hope you guys get the good SS for real.....Good luck

Scout Notes on Bryce Harper OF/C :

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7222475&topic_id=8080130&c_id=mlb

Bryce Harper - C

College of Southern Nevada, Fr.

Birthdate: 10/16/1992

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 205 lbs.

Bats: Left

Throws: Right

Scout's report filed: 3/12/10

Scouting Report

Hitting ability: Harper has some serious physical ability with the bat. He's got quick, strong hands and a good bat path. He's had some issues with getting out in front on his swing, but he's worked to correct it.

Power: He has as much power, both now and future, that many have ever seen in a Draft prospect.

Running speed: He runs better than you'd think, especially for a catcher. His speed might grade out as fringy average, but it plays up because he always goes all-out.

Base running: He is very aggressive on the basepaths, taking the extra base. He'll even steal some bases even without plus speed.

Arm strength: He has plus arm strength from behind the plate and anywhere else he plays defensively. He's got a bit of a long arm motion, which slows down his times to second base a bit.

Fielding: He's a little raw with his technique and fundamentals but has the tools to be an above-average catcher. Some are concerned with a tendency to lunge at pitches, but that might be correctable. He also plays third and the outfield and probably would profile better in right field than he would at third.

Range: Even though he's pretty big, he's got flexibility in his lower half. That allows him to get down low and move very well laterally.

Physical Description: Harper is a physical specimen but isn't as monstrous as you'd think. He's athletic, limber and flexible in a good-sized frame.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: His bat, from hitting abilty to his plus, plus power. He's got great arm strength from any position, particularly behind the plate. He's very aggressive and hustles at all times.

Weaknesses: Some worry about his ability to catch in the long-term. When hitting, he fought jumping out at pitches and getting out front a bit.

Summary: The Bryce Harper story is well-documented at this point. Just 17 and in junior college, he's gotten as much hype as any Draft prospect not named Strasburg. For the most part, he's lived up to it in his first college season, showing incredible hitting and power skills. He's moved around on the field and has plus arm strength from anywhere, though most would like to see him catch. The only questions that seem to remain with Harper is if he'll go No. 1 overall and then, if he'll sign.

For Oriole fans

Manny Machado SS scouting video

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=7243401

Manny Machado - SS

Miami Brito HS, Sr.

Birthdate: 7/6/92

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 190lbs.

Bats: Right

Scout's report filed: 3/18/10

Scouting Report

Hitting ability: Machado is swinging the bat very well, with authority. He led Team USA in hitting last summer

Power: He has the chance to have good power.

Running speed: He's run well in the past, though he might slow down as he matures.

Base running: He's fine on the basepaths.

Arm strength: He's got plenty of arm for his position.

Fielding: He makes the plays he can get to.

Range: This is the question, whether he'll have enough range to stay at shortstop as he gets bigger and stronger.

Physical Description: A big, strong athletic high school shortstop in the Miami area, Machado obviously draws young Alex Rodriguez comparisons.

Strengths: Big, strong, looks the part, plenty of tools, especially with the bat.

Weaknesses: Already pretty big, he may not be able to stay at shortstop in the long-term.

Summary: Machado entered the season as the top high school position player and has done nothing to diminish that evaluation. Big and athletic, he can do just about everything on the baseball field, with the ability to hit for plenty of average and some power as he matures. He's got more than enough arm to play shortstop and is fine there for now, though there is some concern he'll outgrow the position. Even if he does, he'd be just fine at third, both in terms of handling the position defensively and providing the kind of offense teams look for at the hot corner. Regardless of his position, Machado is primed to be one of the earliest names taken off the board in June.

Jameson Taillon RHP scouting video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=7189153

Jameson Taillon - RHP

The Woodlands HS, Texas, Sr.

Birthdate: 11/18/1991

Height: 6'7"

Weight: 230 lbs.

Bats: Right

Scout's report filed: 2/25/10

Scouting Report

Fastball: Taillon threw his fastball in the 94-99 mph range.

Fastball movement: It has explosive movement.

Curve: It's a plus pitch and he threw it 81-85 mph.

Slider: Also a plus breaking ball, he throws it 84-88 mph.

Changeup: He has a changeup and it's a solid pitch. He doesn't always use it, but he knows it's a pitch he'll need at the next level.

Control: He does need to improve his command, though it's not a real concern. He has a tendency to throw away from hitters too much and must learn to come in more, something that likely will come when he's pitching to wood bats consistently.

Poise: He has plus poise and his makeup is off the charts.

Physical Description: Taillon is an absolute beast. He's tall and lean with extra-long levers and a slim waist.

Strengths: Three plus pitches with the changeup giving him the potential to have a four-pitch mix.

Weaknesses: Like with many high school pitchers, his command can improve.

Summary: Taillon is the complete package in a high school pitcher, with tremendous size, stuff and a feel for pitching. He's got three plus pitches in his fastball, slider and curve. Even his changeup, while not used that much, is solid. He uses his size to his advantage and has tremendous mound presence. As impressive as his stuff is, his makeup might be even better. A commitment to Rice might sound intriguing, but if he goes at the top of the first round, and everything points to that happening, it likely won't be an issue.

Harper is an unbelievable talent -- he's got all the tools to be GREAT. There is one problem: his attitude: he's really hot-headed, likes to throw his bat, etc. He's unbelievably ****y -- some don't like that in the game of baseball. Others think that he may be peaking already, and his limited upside from where he is right now.

Even with the negatives, the Nats seem to have a good 1-2 combo with Strasburg and Harper.

Harper is the pick. Just a question of when he signs...and where he goes. Single-A if he gets signed quickly? Next year working through the minors. I wouldn't expect him up until 2012. He'd still be 19 at the start of that season. It might be even longer unless he's just insane in the minors.

Harper is an unbelievable talent -- he's got all the tools to be GREAT. There is one problem: his attitude: he's really hot-headed, likes to throw his bat, etc. He's unbelievably ****y -- some don't like that in the game of baseball. Others think that he may be peaking already, and his limited upside from where he is right now.

Even with the negatives, the Nats seem to have a good 1-2 combo with Strasburg and Harper.

I don't think his attitude is a problem. From everything I've heard/read is that he's a humble and hardworking kid off the field, but on the field he sometimes lets his emotions get the best of him. I think once he matures (he's still 17) that he'll learn to keep his emotions in check.

Harper is the pick. Just a question of when he signs...and where he goes. Single-A if he gets signed quickly? Next year working through the minors. I wouldn't expect him up until 2012. He'd still be 19 at the start of that season. It might be even longer unless he's just insane in the minors.

If he signs quickly or really anytime before August, he'll probably be sent to low A-ball which is the Hagerstown Suns. I think if he does sign quickly and puts up good numbers in the minors that the earliest we see him is September 2011.

I think Vermont is the lowest A team the Nats have. Thought I would see Hagerstown because its closer to D.C. and the team can keep a closer eye on him.

Vermont is the lowest but I would assume that they would send him to Hagerstown because they did that with Storen last year. But I don't see him signing until the deadline in August.

Vermont is the lowest but I would assume that they would send him to Hagerstown because they did that with Storen last year. But I don't see him signing until the deadline in August.

The bad news is that he has Boras as his agent.

The good news is, they just dealt with Boras in the same situation last year. So, you have a baseline to work with this time.

I'd like to see the Nats be willing to spend a little more in an offer that signs him early and gets him to wherever ASAP. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Stras got like 15.6 mil. So, if Harper wants to bust that. They have a starting point with the same club.

The bad news is that he has Boras as his agent.

The good news is, they just dealt with Boras in the same situation last year. So, you have a baseline to work with this time.

I'd like to see the Nats be willing to spend a little more in an offer that signs him early and gets him to wherever ASAP. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Stras got like 15.6 mil. So, if Harper wants to bust that. They have a starting point with the same club.

Unless we offer him a huge contract right off the bat, I don't see him signing until the last second just so Boras can get his hand on every penny possible.

I also don't see him getting more than what Stras got last year. Stras DOMINATED college hitters and even though Bryce has put up very impressive numbers, it hasn't been against the top college pitchers. My prediction would be Bryce signing at the deadline for somewhere between 12-14 million.

It is a very good combo. And as we discussed in the previous Harper thread, the kid is only 17.

I know at 17 most of us were far different from where we were at 22 or 24.

He'll mature and quickly learn that his antics won't do him any favors in the majors

The hype on Harper will likely dwarf that of Strasburg which is hard to believe. I pray the guy pans out. But playing against guys 3+ years older than him in college ball this year was impressive, not to mention he put up some prolific #'s.

I think Taillon is going to be a stud in 3-4 years but I love Harper and would be shocked/disappointed if the Nats didnt take him.

So many young pitchers out there right now doing well, I wish we had 2 more Strasburgs in the minors...its all about PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING these days.

Orioles fan here...word on the streets is that Taillon is going to the Pirates, which pisses me off...I REALLY wanted him to fall to us.

I've been tracking Taillon for a while and have been hoping and praying that he falls to us (and that he signs). However, I've been reading up more on Machado too, and we could easily use him as well.

Either way, the O's are going to get a terrific prospect and we should be happy. I think there is a big drop off after the top 3 picks.

There are some more recent reports that have the Bucs favoring Machado over Taillon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10158/1063715-63.stm#ixzz0q8f4xdlf

Personally, as an O's fan, I don't mind taking either of Machado or Taillon. After those two, the talent takes a huge drop, with essentially the same talent level from 4-40. Both are HS players that need some time to develop, so it is really a roll of the dice. I would prefer there to be a high-ceiling college prospect at the top, but this is a weak draft that high.

Regarding Harper, you can't compare him to Strasburg. Strasburg was MLB-ready when he was drafted. Harper is a great prospect, playing well in a wooden bat league, but he is not MLB-ready. I don't think that he will reach the Strasburg hype. But he is definately the #1 pick in this draft.

If Harper tears it up in the minors for the next year or two, the hype will be up there. Not sure if his debut will reach the hype of tomorrow's game though. Big difference between an every day positional player and once in five games starting pitcher.

Archived