Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[ESPN] On the radar: Skins' RB rotation

honejc

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/on-the-radar-60310

I don't know about you guys, but I'm anxious to see how Mike Shanahan divides carries among his stable of former star running backs. Shanahan surrounds himself with running backs the way Jon Gruden used to do with quarterbacks. He believes there's strength in numbers and he's left no stone unturned when it comes to backs whose careers peaked in 2006.

As we discussed on the blog this morning, the Redskins have now made an offer to former Eagles star Brian Westbrook. Shanahan has even lobbied Westbrook's younger brother, Byron, who plays cornerback for the Skins. In my mind, Westbrook would have a highly specialized role in the Redskins' offense. Coming off a year in which he had two concussions in a short period of time, there's no way Westbrook can have more than seven or eight carries per game. He'd be used as a third-down back and the Redskins would try to get him matched up one-on-one with linebackers.

If Westbrook signs with the Redskins, either Larry Johnson or Willie Parker would be the odd man out. It would be silly to keep all four players active. It's not like any of them can help you on special teams. Are you going to ask Parker to run down on kickoffs? From the folks I've talked to at Redskins Park, Parker probably would be the first player to go. He has not looked all that explosive in practice sessions, but obviously we have a long way to go.

Given Shanahan's success in Denver, we've come to believe that any back can have success in his zone-blocking scheme. But that wasn't the case his last couple of seasons with the Broncos. Denver had a ton of injuries and the Mike Andersons and Olandis Garys of the world stopped showing up out of nowhere. Just because the Redskins' running backs have recognizable names doesn't mean they'll automatically put up big numbers in Kyle Shanahan's offense.

Johnson's at his best when running downhill. But Washington's offense will require him to be patient and wait for cutback lanes to develop. He's never seemed like a good fit in this offense to me -- even if he still had his '06 legs.

Quarterback Donovan McNabb is convinced that finally having a consistent running game will allow him to have more success. But I don't see anyone in this backfield who would scare an opponent. Is anyone worried that Clinton Portis or Johnson will take it to the house from midfield?

I'm curious to hear what Redskins fans think of this rotation. You guys think there's room for Westbrook?

With a balanced run game and pass game we wont need a threat at RB. If we can get consistent yardage from runs, this will allow McNabb to open up the field and become a threat downfield. We dont need a RB to take it to the house, we have a QB that can get the ball to WR who WILL take it to the house.

Yeah; I agree.

Not every runningback has to be CJ2K. Guys like Cedric Benson, Steven Jackson and Brandon Jacobs are all good backs, but it's not like you expect them to take it to the house from midfield. I think it's just another person caught up in the glam and glitter of the "speedback".

That being said, I too expect to have a very balanced rush offense that will prove effective enough to allow McNabb to make plays. Overall, I think "balanced" will be a good term to describe our offense as a whole. Just my opinion.

With a balanced run game and pass game we wont need a threat at RB. If we can get consistent yardage from runs, this will allow McNabb to open up the field and become a threat downfield. We dont need a RB to take it to the house, we have a QB that can get the ball to WR who WILL take it to the house.

Agreed. I just wish our FO had learned this years ago. Teams running their offense mainly through one back don't win SBs.

Our offense has looked like a dinosaur the last 8 years. That is about to change.

You know, we had an efficient, maybe even feared, running game from 2005-2008, approximately, and we never had a guy who could take it in from mid-field. So I call BS on the importance of that.

I haven't seen Oldfan lately, but he'd agree with me when I say that sometimes its more important to be able to sustain drives with smaller chunks of yardage at a time, to keep your defense rested and control the clock, than it is to hit a homerun every time you touch the ball. In fact, I'd have to assume that he hates the McNabb trade for that very reason, since he hated the Eagles offense's ability to hit the big play, but then be inconsistent. But that's another topic.

I also find it interesting that I read an article yesterday that LJ is showing great patience before hitting the running lane, and is looking the best right now in terms of this zone-blocking scheme. And here's this guy saying he may be the worst.

I have to think that this guy is the more uninformed one, as he's going off of LJ's past, not his present work in OTA's.

I wouldn't rule out keeping all the backs.

Last year we had Portis, Betts, Rock, Ganther, and sometimes Marcus Mason.

Why wouldn't we keep Portis, LJ, Parker and Westbrook?

Remember Shanahan is the same coach that lost 5 RBs to IR in the same season.

I'd say if Torrain makes an ST's impact, he'll be the guy over Parker. Its hard to justify having 4-5 RB's on the roster, none of whom can play ST.

I haven't seen Oldfan lately, but he'd agree with me when I say that sometimes its more important to be able to sustain drives with smaller chunks of yardage at a time, to keep your defense rested and control the clock, than it is to hit a homerun every time you touch the ball. In fact, I'd have to assume that he hates the McNabb trade for that very reason, since he hated the Eagles offense's ability to hit the big play, but then be inconsistent. But that's another topic.

That was what I was thinking. I remember shanahan saying something along the lines of "pass to score, but run to win"

That's the ideology that we have been following for quite sometime, but we have lacked the ability to pass to be a legitimate threat. With McNabb I think teams will have problems keeping us from getting consistent yardage while defending with the threat we have under center with our possibly budding star wideouts.

So an ESPN blogger appears to have been reading ES interesting.

That would be new, huh? :ols:

That was what I was thinking. I remember shanahan saying something along the lines of "pass to score, but run to win"

That's the ideology that we have been following for quite sometime, but we have lacked the ability to pass to be a legitimate threat. With McNabb I think teams will have problems keeping us from getting consistent yardage while defending with the threat we have under center with our possibly budding star wideouts.

That's a great quote, for sure. And I agree with everything else here, as well. With McNabb, if teams stack the box, he'll take advatage of it. If they show him an exotic blitz package that would have made Campbell dump it of immediately or take a sack, he'll probably find whoever's left open down field. Its a great feeling knowing that.

I think Portis and LJ will make a good 1-2 punch.

While Portis isn't what he used to be, he'll be the speedier of the two backs, which isn't bad since both are now primarily power backs. Having two of those will allow both of them to be fresher throughout the game.

I can see Westbrook touching the ball maybe 5 times a game, with the occasional 2nd and long/3rd and long conversion.

I'd say if Torrain makes an ST's impact, he'll be the guy over Parker. Its hard to justify having 4-5 RB's on the roster, none of whom can play ST.

agree...Ryan Torain , Shanny loved this kid and had him pegged as the next super start until his knee (and bad) injury. If he can get healthy again and still has skills....you may see him get some PT

I gotta believe that McNabb wants a strong threat at running back.

Soooo much easier to stretch the field if the opposing D is stacked up on the line 'cause they have to respect the running game.

And he does not have to feel like the burden is on him to win every play.

A RB is only good when they have something to prove. So I like what Shanahan is doing keeping competition on the field. A RB who really wants to play football will swallow their pride and play whatever role the team needs them to play. People seem to forget our World Champion 91 Redskins had Ernest Byner, Brian Mitchell, Ricky Ervins, and Gerald Riggs all getting significant playing time. So four RBs is definately a possibility.

As great a player as Westbrook was he has always been injury plauged and now his issue is a bleeding brain....... Giagantic pass for me, cuz he won't be cheap he will cost a roster spot and most likely miss a significant amount of time. We will have to cut a very good player to make room for him, I don't think it will be as simple as cutting Willie cuz that may happen anyway. It would be a Paulson, Sellars, Morris, or Torrian.

I wouldn't rule out keeping all the backs.

Last year we had Portis, Betts, Rock, Ganther, and sometimes Marcus Mason.

Why wouldn't we keep Portis, LJ, Parker and Westbrook?

Remember Shanahan is the same coach that lost 5 RBs to IR in the same season.

Good points. Its going to be a **** storm if the running game doesn't click and they all start complaining about not getting enough carries to be effective.

I say that sometimes its more important to be able to sustain drives with smaller chunks of yardage at a time, to keep your defense rested and control the clock, than it is to hit a homerun every time you touch the ball.

The other team has to fear the threat of the "big play" in order to be successful. We've seen what happens to the short game when they're not threatened.

Overall I agree with your opinion. We've had a great Defense despite our Offense. They got old, and unfortunately many didn't get the glory they deserve.

My hope is that with our changes, the defenses we face respect our offense's willingness and success at the big play.

I was thinking Parker was the odd man out too. My other concern is that Westbrook accepts our offer and then gets another concussion.

It seems to me that a lot of people are not showing these Redskins running backs any respect because of their age. Larry Johnson is can still do it. Clinton Portis, who was a pro bowler two years ago, can still do it. Willie Parker could have a nagging injury that's been hampering him, which is why he hasn't shown any explosion. As far as Brian Westbrook, his signing is very risky. Philadelphia didn't want him back, and for good reason. But while he's injury prone, Westbrook is also a great football player.

Archived