Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC - Voters hate partisan sniping, but fuel its growth

Mad Mike

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37422991/ns/politics/

WASHINGTON - People say they don't like partisan gridlock in Washington. But they're voting in ways almost certain to increase it, by punishing politicians who cooperate with the opposing party and rewarding ideological purity that pushes both sides to the fringes.

In the past few weeks, Democratic voters have ousted one of Congress' best-known centrists, Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, and forced another, Sen. Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas, into a difficult primary runoff June 8.

Republican activists ended the career of conservative three-term Sen. Bob Bennett of Utah in part because he had worked with a Democrat on a health care bill, which went nowhere. In Arizona, they have sent a once-famous maverick, Sen. John McCain, scurrying to the right to save his political skin.

Follow the link to read the rest.

The big thing, in primaries in particular, its the most rabid partisan ones that vote.

So the 35 percent that each side has, that is more right and left then everyone else, is the one pushing everything in these polar opposite directions.

If Americans don't want hyper partisanship, they gotta go vote and work in primaries.

The big thing, in primaries in particular, its the most rabid partisan ones that vote.

So the 35 percent that each side has, that is more right and left then everyone else, is the one pushing everything in these polar opposite directions.

If Americans don't want hyper partisanship, they gotta go vote and work in primaries.

And not that I'm a huge fan of the 2 party system, but with almost 1/3 of registered voters being independent, they get no say in the primary (which, to be honest, I feel is the way it should be). My wife is a registered "I" and she didn't get to vote in the primary here. So the problem is that people are so sick of both parties that they're leaving them....leaving only the most partisan members to pick who their 2 main choices will be until these "Independents" truly start voting that way with 3rd parties.

In politics "partisan" only means that you disagree with me. My opinions are correct, yours are stupid and partisan unless they agree with mine.

Exactly.

Outside of politics, what you're describing is called "marriage." :ols:

Exactly.

Outside of politics, what you're describing is called "marriage." :ols:

In a marriage, you can get a divorce, not a pretty resolution but you can at least leave the game. When it comes to politics, you can't win, you can't break even and you can't even get out of the game.

Archived