Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NFL Outsiders: Reed Doughty one of the surest tacklers in the NFL

Hitman21ST

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5217390

NFL Outsiders did a profile on the best (and worst) tacklers in the NFL, not by numbers of tackles, but by percentage of broken tackles, defined by times a defender had a player wrapped up and he got loose, or when the defender was in good position to make a tackle and got juked. Diving attempts by slower defenders at faster ballcarriers didn't count.

Reed Doughty comes in at 7th on the "Best DBs" list, with only 3 broken tackles with 75 tackles, a 3.8% rate. The surest DB, Jason Allen, comes in at a 0% rate with 0 broken with 55 tackles. The worst DB is Asante Samuel - 14 broken with 39 tackles (26.6%). And no, LaRon Landry doesn't crack the top (bottom) 10.

Surprisingly, London Fletcher isn't top 10 for Linebackers. #1 is Brandon Siler - 1 broken with 52 tackles (1.9%). Keith Brooking is #2 - 2 broken with 75 tackles (2.6%). Patrick Willis comes in at #8 - 4 broken with 114 tackles (3.4%). The worst LB is Akin Ayodele - 12 broken on 61 tackles (17%).

Nice find OP.

It's funny when the season is over and you look back at the stats only to affirm my belief that RD is a very good football player. People keep pointing out weight, strength, and 40 yd dash speed and forget that football is more about recognizing the situation and putting yourself in good position to make a play. And Reed Doughty does that over and over again. I think he only got burned deep once last year whereas the other DBs had plenty of errors.

That's why I live Football Outsiders and PFF because it shows a new way of looking at stats that more accurately reflect a players skills. The old stats like '93 tackles' don't ever show how effective you are with regards to effective tackling. I'm sure other teams know this and probably would steer plays away from Reed. I can't recall which game later in the season, but it seemed like they were picking on Laron Landry over and over again. So no doubt - other teams recognize talents and weaknesses.

RD is solid, but i'd love to see him as backup who plays a lot. Athleticism matters for all DBs, and when RD is on the field he is the SLOW guy in our backfield. Many of his solid tackles occur several yards beyond where they would ideally happen.

Hopefully the new DC will move him around more with blitzes and zones so that he makes fewer solid tackles after catches in the middle of the field and more hits on rbs and wrs closer to the line of scrimmage.

I mean we always had success blitzing from the SS spot. Whether it was Doughty blizting, Landry Blitzing, or Matt Bowen blitzing, or Chris Horton blitzing. I just don't understand all the love Doughty is getting and I don't even consider myself one of those Redskin fans that complai about everything. It really bugs me when a guy that sucks so bad is loved by everyone. Yes, Chris Horton had a horrible year, but so did the rest of our safties when we started to play more zone. Who was our safety coach last year?

I mean we always had success blitzing from the SS spot. Whether it was Doughty blizting, Landry Blitzing, or Matt Bowen blitzing, or Chris Horton blitzing. I just don't understand all the love Doughty is getting and I don't even consider myself one of those Redskin fans that complai about everything. It really bugs me when a guy that sucks so bad is loved by everyone. Yes, Chris Horton had a horrible year, but so did the rest of our safties when we started to play more zone. Who was our safety coach last year?

The reason Reed gets so much love is that despite a fraction of the physical gifts of Landry, Reed's football intelligence and work ethic have allowed him to reach 99% of his potential, while Landry continues to look for the big hit and has yet to really show just how good he can be.

That being said, Landry should be the starting SS over Doughty at this point in time. The upside of everything clicking for Landry is so great that it would be foolish to not see what he can do under new coaching. But Doughty is all you can want and more as a backup SS and special teams contributer, and there is something to be said for a guy who works his butt off to make the team better.

We need a lot more Reed Doughty's and a lot less me-first guys.

What interests me is what happens if we sign Atogwe to play FS come June 1st. While I would personally like to see Kareem Moore get some run at starting FS, I think there is a chance we sign Atogwe. If so, I highly doubt we keep 5 safeties on the roster, and it would appear to me at this time that Horton would be the odd man out. Which is a shame, as he showed some great FBI (Football Intelligence) his rookie season, but regressed badly last season, and is still not 100% healthy.

Doughty and Fletcher were about the only two guys on D last year that looked like they had an ounce of heart.

I'd put Orakpo on that list. I don't think we could have asked for more out of him, especially considering he was playing a new postion.

Reed is great. I think he'll do a great job at FS this year.

I'd be surprised if he was our starter at FS this season. I think Kareem Moore has much better coverage skills and better instincts when the ball is in the air. I think Doughty's skills, like Landry, are much better suited at the SS position.

True Kareem is more athletic, but at the same time, Reed has had more playing experience and is a very smart football player. Plus, he always makes tackles.

And if Kareem gets the job, then Reed is still vital to our special teams, cause he almost always makes the tackles on kick off coverage team.

True Kareem is more athletic, but at the same time, Reed has had more playing experience and is a very smart football player. Plus, he always makes tackles.

And if Kareem gets the job, then Reed is still vital to our special teams, cause he almost always makes the tackles on kick off coverage team.

Oh no doubt. While I think Moore is the best cover safety, Reed is a vital cog for depth and special teams, and absolutely needed, especially if Landry continues to regress.

I love me some Reed Doughty, but he is a TERRIBLE free safety. Not mediocre, not bad, TERRIBLE. November 10, 2007: Sean Taylor at free safety = nothing deep. Doughty takes over and we lose.

Dallas the next week = FOUR touchdowns for Owens. Owens was Taylor's *****.

As soon as Landry steps in, the deep ball was gone.

Doughty is a fantastic strong safety and a perfect Redskin, but he's no free safety.

Well we know that Landry isn't one of the best tacklers, but is he near the bottom?

He wasn't in the bottom 10, so he's got that going for him...

EDIT: Using the formula given and PFF's stats missed tackles/(# of tackles + # of missed tackles)= rate. LL had 89 attempts (76 tackles + 13 misses). 13/89 = 14.6%. Not sure what PFF classifies as a "missed tackle" though, so NFL Outsiders numbers are different. They have LL allowing less than 12 broken tackles last year. Just for speculation's sake, we'll say he missed 11 using NFLO's definition. 11/87 = 12.6%

The worst DB was at 26.6%, the 10th worst was at 17%.

Archived